Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Can any-one tell me how to transfer music from my MP3 Player to my N8?? It worked fine for me a few weeks ago whatever way I did it, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it!

Creative Software (I have a Creative Zen Microphoto MP3) looks seriously complicated. Nokia PC Suite has things like Synchronise and File Manager, but then I'm wondering with those, would it have to be the location files on my hard-drive of the songs that I'd be transferring, and I don't think it was the files of the songs that I was working with when I did it a few weeks ago. I think it was literally a straight-forward enough sync from device to device.

Originally I would have right-clicked and used "Copy to" to put songs from Music Library onto my MP3, but if I try that and load My Zen's songs there is no right-click or Copy to available.

Maybe it was via PC Suite's Nokia Music Manager that I did it last time, but that won't even bloody load now for some un-known reason, it keeps crashing.

Realplayer seems to have a method of syncing from pc to Device, but I'm wondering can I do that for one Device to another Device.

Any suggestions/assistance much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

download ovi music player. Connect both devices. File, import from folder, browse for mp3 player. Transfer. If you have tracks on hard drive you can transfer from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Has anyone else tried the new font yet ? I've been running it since yesterday and really like it, text looks much smoother imo.

breaks QT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

tallus wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Without reading the 74 or so pages so far on this thread, I'm thinking of upgrading to one of these in a month or so on Meteor billpay.
    Any major issues to be worried about, as I got burned on the N97. Currently using an E72 and I really like it.

Any input would be appreciated.

Its nothing like the N97, vast improvement. Every aspect of it compared to the n97 has improved, from the build quality up. I have used all 3 as my main phone, and the N8 is definitely the best. I do like the E72 for reasons, and the qwerty is a major one but if you can mange without a dedicated qwerty then you should like the N8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Davy wrote: »
    Its nothing like the N97, vast improvement. Every aspect of it compared to the n97 has improved, from the build quality up. I have used all 3 as my main phone, and the N8 is definitely the best. I do like the E72 for reasons, and the qwerty is a major one but if you can mange without a dedicated qwerty then you should like the N8.
    As a former N97 user the one thing I still find I miss is the keyboard! That takes getting used to as I never had another full touch screen phone previously!

• Advertisement

g0g wrote: »
    As a former N97 user the one thing I still find I miss is the keyboard! That takes getting used to as I never had another full touch screen phone previously!

Ye, i meant to say N97 aswell as E72 in my earlier post about leaving the dedicated qwerty behind. The keyboard on the n97 was actually one of the better things about it. I actually thought the mini model redesigned keyboard wasn't as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Davy wrote: »

Thanks Davy, & MacTheToaster.

I think I'll bite the bullet eventually and get the N8 so... I love the E72, and I have to say the keyboard is a major consideration for me. I also love the design quality, the E Series Nokia phones are well put together, and that always draws me to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Here me thinking of upgrading my E72 for the N8 and people switching to HTC......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

DonFred wrote: »
    Here me thinking of upgrading my E72 for the N8 and people switching to HTC......
    what do you want the phone for?
    if you dealt with the OS till now, it probably won't matter
    Symbian's essentially dead, but its much better on an N8 than an N97 or E72
    Shame Nokia don't backport updates

Ah I have a cracked screen in my E72 and like that the camera is good on the N8. I might wait for the E7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

breaks QT

I'm running beta QT 4.7.2 and have had no issues, works great for me :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say the only thing I'd like on the N8 is a keyboard like my old N97s (the E7 doesn't do it for me due to lack of fm-transmitter, storage and lower quality camera). I also tried a Desire HD and didn't like it at all, the one I was using must have had something badly wrong as it was the slowest phone I've ever used, over two minutes to change a theme, and a good thirty seconds to display thumbnails of just the first three pics in it's gallery, I gave up after that.

Is there a separate Thread for Games n Apps. n stuff? I had thought there was a separate one for the Ovi Store/Applications people have tried out etc., but I can't seem to see it in the Forums. Maybe it was this Thread I was thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

same thing again not able to click mark ads as sold or leave feedback from the E7 this was same for the N8 and C6-01 but never a problem on the E5 any suggestions since last time here about this? Very very annoying

This phone better not start causing havoc now, I've enough with a contrary bloody Printer. I can't access the internet on this stupid phone now I better leave it out of my hand now actually before I throw it on the ground. :rolleyes:

It seems to be in full coverage, but when I try to go onto the Internet or WAP or whatever ya want to call it, it says Connection failed Connection unavailable. Web: unable to perform operation. Stupid thing. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

This phone better not start causing havoc now, I've enough with a contrary bloody Printer. I can't access the internet on this stupid phone now I better leave it out of my hand now actually before I throw it on the ground. :rolleyes:

It seems to be in full coverage, but when I try to go onto the Internet or WAP or whatever ya want to call it, it says Connection failed Connection unavailable. Web: unable to perform operation. Stupid thing. :mad::mad:

I had the same problem and after much troubleshooting and cursing I finally figured out that it doesn't like full length WEP security keys. I changed my router to a 5 character hexadecimal one (64 bit I think??) via windows and that fixed it. So basically if you downgrade your router security settings it might work.

Wouldn't be savvy enough to go around messing with the security key here. But it is actually the full long sequence though 12 characters or 16 characters or whatever it is. But I'd be afraid it'd affect access of other Internet users in the house when we're all operating off the 1 modem with the 1 security key.

Do you have all of the right connection settings?!

Another few hours and Im going to upgrade my lovely E72 for the N8!!! Done enought research and think it be worth it........ Hope it be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

DonFred wrote: »
    Another few hours and Im going to upgrade my lovely E72 for the N8!!! Done enought research and think it be worth it........ Hope it be worth it.

I did and i'd never go back.

• Advertisement

jm99 wrote: »
    I did and i'd never go back.

Im the same, I have a E72 that I could use as my main handset instead of the N8 but I choose not too. One thing i think the N8 doesn't get enough credit it for is the camera, it really does deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

At last I finally got my hands on one sim free for a decent price I have looked back over the thread and cannot find a post were some one got a 32gb sdhc for around 50e ish,Also with the headphones you get do they have voice regonition for contacts etc as I use that feature alot on my N97 I just hope I'm not going be left disapointed with the N8.:(
    Anyone know whats with the purple tint on the screen I wont get around to playing with the phone till saturday as im on working nights is anything that I can do to get rid of the purple tint?.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

has anyone seen or used the n8 camera telescope lens. It gives 6 x optical zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Looking for an Otterbox Commuter for the N8. Have a vague recollection of seeing something along those line in Carphone Warehouse Liffey. Anyone confirm?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Fk sake, it was flashing me to update for the last 2 days, I did and its gone and wiped my contacts!!!! What sort of kak is that.
    Thats the 2nd time its done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

dr ro wrote: »
    has anyone seen or used the n8 camera telescope lens. It gives 6 x optical zoom.

http://www.compu-mart.org/6x-optical-zoom-telescope-camera-lens-for-nokia-n8-brand-new.html
    buyers review at the bottom

My SIM free N8 arrived from Expansys today with PR1.1 installed.

I've installed Ovi Suite and tried to find a software update but nothing. Tried entering the *#0000# on the keypad and "Check for Updates" but again nothing.

Any ideas? Could they have sent me a regional N8 for where there is no 1.2 update yet? If so, how do I check what region I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

At last I finally got my hands on one sim free for a decent price I have looked back over the thread and cannot find a post were some one got a 32gb sdhc for around 50e ish,Also with the headphones you get do they have voice regonition for contacts etc as I use that feature alot on my N97 I just hope I'm not going be left disapointed with the N8.:(
    Anyone know whats with the purple tint on the screen I wont get around to playing with the phone till saturday as im on working nights is anything that I can do to get rid of the purple tint?.

I got one off memoryc.com for 66 euros delivered and it's worked fine so far, I'm using it solely for music.
    http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/32GB_Integral_microSDHC_CL4_memory_card_with_SD_adapter/index.html
    It's worked perfectly so far, you'll be doing well to get one any cheaper i'd say.

SachaJ wrote: »
    My SIM free N8 arrived from Expansys today with PR1.1 installed.

I've installed Ovi Suite and tried to find a software update but nothing. Tried entering the *#0000# on the keypad and "Check for Updates" but again nothing.

Any ideas? Could they have sent me a regional N8 for where there is no 1.2 update yet? If so, how do I check what region I have?
    Post up your product code....

• Advertisement

Yeah I had a look. 059C5Q8.

PR1.2 is "Waiting for operator approval or similar"

Advertisement