Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Right got my N8 looks deadly so far. What the first thing I should do? Do I need to update it first or anything? Appreciate any help as the manual with it is not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Brian010

Any one having battery problems try enabling power saving in internet settings. I think it means the internet only connects when you go online. Otherwise it will stay connected 24/7 and update widgets etc. I tried everything else and the battery was dying quickly but this definitely solved the problem. Now it lasts 2 days easily :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

HELP!!! How do I put Opera Mobile, Calender, quick access to send a txt msg on my home screen????

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

long press home screen, gives you options of what apps or widgets you want quick access to. You can customize 3 home screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I did a software update to 1.1 (I think) the other day - and since then I can't access any secure websites using the N8 browser or Opera browser - N8 browser says "web: page not found check address" - this happens for sites that involve a login for instance gmail etc and Opera just says connection refused.

the browser is fine for ordinary websites just not the secure/login ones.

any ideas what has happened - or how I would uninstall the update and go back to the previous version?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Lads has anyone got problems with the screen the picture quality is rather crap compared to my N97&Iphone 4 there seems to be a tint of purple from it,I ran two videos of the same side by side with the Iphone and the Iphone came out tops this is my first time messing around with it since I got it during the week.
    The handset build is top notch just the screen seems to be lagging behind both my N97&Iphone if nothing can be done regarding the screen I will have to go with the Iphone even though I,ve allways used Nokia:mad:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lads has anyone got problems with the screen the picture quality is rather crap compared to my N97&Iphone 4 there seems to be a tint of purple from it,I ran two videos of the same side by side with the Iphone and the Iphone came out tops this is my first time messing around with it since I got it during the week.
    The handset build is top notch just the screen seems to be lagging behind both my N97&Iphone if nothing can be done regarding the screen I will have to go with the Iphone even though I,ve allways used Nokia:mad:.

Its a reported problem with some of the devices. Nokia are aware of it, and will replace the screen on it. You need to bring it to a nokia care point. MPRC is probably the best place as they are a level 4 for repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Can anyone tell me how to get a .jar item I download off a website into a working format? :( I have Vista and I have installed IZArc if that's needed / suitable. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Speaking of repairs, how much would it cost to get the screen glass, and top cover replaced by an Official NCC? I'm expecting in the region of €150, which I can't really afford right now, but I'll get a quote tomorrow anyway.

It got knocked out of my hand and fell about 8 feet on to concrete. I'm actually surprised that the damage was so light. I had the silicon cover on it, but I expected it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can't imagine it would be anywhere near €150!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

you are not replacing the screen just the cover glass,maybe 50 notes?
    thats the good thing bout the n8 cover glass is not part of the
    screen,just heat sealed to it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Here's a complete strip-down of the N8.

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nokia-N8-Teardown/3641/1

The screen glass and touch-sensor are separate to the display. (iPhone, by contrast, has them bonded together, making for a much more expensive fix)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭trellheim

If I try and watch live telly off rte.ie on the N8, should it work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Fed up at this stage with no pr 1.1 update available off meteor. doesn't help that the phone has been acting the maggot if even give it a side ways look for the last few weeks.

Why don't you just change the product code to get PR1.2?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

kmart6 wrote: »
    Why don't you just change the product code to get PR1.2?!

How do you change the product code? If it can be done without invalidating the warranty I'm all for it, otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Raedwald wrote: »
    Fed up at this stage with no pr 1.1 update available off meteor. doesn't help that the phone has been acting the maggot if even give it a side ways look for the last few weeks.

1.1 has stopped my browser being able to access secure websites but no-one else seems to have the same problem..:o

rickyjb wrote: »
    How do you change the product code? If it can be done without invalidating the warranty I'm all for it, otherwise...
    Follow this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

don't change product code, use Phoenix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Wonder whats in store for us after the N8/E7
    well there is the E6 and T7 or the N7 no official name yet but its a cheaper version of the N8
    but nokia have announced 40 phones will be released this year

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_is_going_to_launch_40_phones_this_year-news-2481.php

• Advertisement

don't change product code, use Phoenix
    The method I linked uses Phoenix

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Wonder whats in store for us after the N8/E7
    well there is the E6 and T7 or the N7 no official name yet but its a cheaper version of the N8
    but nokia have announced 40 phones will be released this year

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_is_going_to_launch_40_phones_this_year-news-2481.php
    We'll it'll be interesting to see what 'the event' is going to be....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac3

have N95 8GB since it came out and was going to upgrade to N8. However after reading last ten or so pages of this thread, don't think i'll go for N8 now. There seems to be nothing but problems (even though the camera sounds appealing):(

The method I linked uses Phoenix

that's not changing the product code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

trellheim wrote: »
    If I try and watch live telly off rte.ie on the N8, should it work ?
    no not at the
    mo,maybe with the pr 2 update.....awaits THAT poster...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

ovi maps update available. Don't know what changes yet.

that's not changing the product code
    But it's using Phoenix to install the latest Firmware...easiest option available!

But it's using Phoenix to install the latest Firmware...easiest option available!

changing the product code is easier (I've done it on my 6120c because of Three delays in SW updates, and on 5530 as Nokia forgot my Product Code)
    nonetheless I would not recommended it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

mac3 wrote: »
    have N95 8GB since it came out and was going to upgrade to N8. However after reading last ten or so pages of this thread, don't think i'll go for N8 now. There seems to be nothing but problems (even though the camera sounds appealing):(

havent had any problems with mine,very satisfied great phone .
    camera doesnt have a lot of zoom but there is an application to solve that and the quality is awesome .and id like to get it unlocked but cant find anywhere to do it .

my old phone is the n95 8 gb also a great phone .

• Advertisement

changing the product code is easier (I've done it on my 6120c because of Three delays in SW updates, and on 5530 as Nokia forgot my Product Code)
    nonetheless I would not recommended it
    So you've done it on phones that aren't Symbian^3 yet saying it's easier...explain that one?!

Advertisement