Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

kmart6 wrote: »
    So you've done it on phones that aren't Symbian^3 yet saying it's easier...explain that one?!

I have no idea if the NSU devs have added support for S^3
    if they have you just need to hook the phone up, change the code to a generic EURO1, then you get the latest and greatest updates immediately :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I have no idea if the NSU devs have added support for S^3
    if they have you just need to hook the phone up, change the code to a generic EURO1, then you get the latest and greatest updates immediately :)
    They haven't....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

havent had any problems with mine,very satisfied great phone .
    camera doesnt have a lot of zoom but there is an application to solve that and the quality is awesome .and id like to get it unlocked but cant find anywhere to do it .

my old phone is the n95 8 gb also a great phone .

Whats the app you found for the camera
    I have the same issue about the lack of zoom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭metzengerstein

its in the ovi store for 4 euro ,apparently adds a good bit of zoom .theres a few of them .

http://store.ovi.com/search?q=camera+zoom

someone mentioned i think in this thread , this also .

http://www.compu-mart.org/6x-optical-zoom-telescope-camera-lens-for-nokia-n8-brand-new.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Here is a quick guide on how to change the product code, another here. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Hth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Here is a quick guide on how to change the product code. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Hth.

The guy writing it does refer to it as being "a long and arduous process" right at the start though??

And I presume that as you have to flash the phone this invalidates your warranty?

Here is a quick guide on how to change the product code, another here. It sounds a lot harder than it is. Hth.
    I already linked that thread on the previous page....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is camera pro worth the money. Read somewhere that most of its features are available in native camera app. Extra zoom sounds good though.

that is not changing the product code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

It's the easiest way to get the latest firmware and debrand your phone in one go, but if you must. Firstly, any Nokia Service Suite (NSS) version I've tried fails to change the product code on the N8, so I use Phoenix and update the firmware, as per those links.

If you don't want to actually upgrade to the latest firmware then try the following, bearing in mind that I don't have access to any of this right now and might not be providing all the steps and, more importantly, I haven't tried changing the product code and I suspect that as per NSS this might not work with Phoenix either.

Run Navifirm to find a generic Euro product code or look it up elsewhere, maybe the N8 update thread on the Nokia Discussion forums.

Most importantly - make a backup of all your data first !

Run Phoenix.
    Click on the connection dropdown and choose your phone usb.
    Click on File - Scan Product.
    It should say Ready down in the bottom left corner of the window.
    Click on Product - Product Data Edit.
    Bung in the new product code and click Write.
    Disconnect and restart the phone then check your product code to see if it worked.

Alternatively bring the phone to a Nokia Care Centre and ask them nicely. They might refuse, especially if it's a branded phone, and you might have to pay, but there's no harm in asking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

mac3 wrote: »
    have N95 8GB since it came out and was going to upgrade to N8. However after reading last ten or so pages of this thread, don't think i'll go for N8 now. There seems to be nothing but problems (even though the camera sounds appealing):(
    love the phone myself:)
    wish we had a thread here for pics from your n8.
    anyway heres one i took yesterday in inch.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/227748/154454.jpg

dont know how to resize it :oso ill just post the link.:)

Look....all poster have done is suggest a way to install the latest FW onto the device, and each time you just knock it back, yet have no way to do it yourself, so could you be a bit less negative please!!!

Look....all poster have done is suggest a way to install the latest FW onto the device, and each time you just knock it back, yet have no way to do it yourself, so could you be a bit less negative please!!!

sorry, im just pointing out to avoid confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

OK, fine.
    Seeing as you know how to do it, why don't you post a guide? Then those who want can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

And if you bothered to read the first line of the post that was linked you woulds seen this 'I've managed to figure out how to change languages on the N8. I don't want to call it changing the product code, because it really isn't, it's basically installing the firmware of your choice containing the language of your choice onto the phone, without actually changing the product code at all'
    !
    If anything you've probably caused more confusion for people than prevented!

And if you bothered to read the first line of the post that was linked you woulds seen this 'I've managed to figure out how to change languages on the N8. I don't want to call it changing the product code, because it really isn't, it's basically installing the firmware of your choice containing the language of your choice onto the phone, without actually changing the product code at all'
    !
    If anything you've probably caused more confusion for people than prevented!
    Twas a reply to a poster linking to a guide which he said would let you change product code
    Italia wrote: »
    OK, fine.
    Seeing as you know how to do it, why don't you post a guide? Then those who want can do it.

but Nemisis Service Suite does not support Nokia S^3 phones - so no way to change product code!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

deco nate wrote: »
    love the phone myself:)
    wish we had a thread here for pics from your n8.
    anyway heres one i took yesterday in inch.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/227748/154454.jpg

dont know how to resize it :oso ill just post the link.:)

Done :)

>>>>>>http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056232946

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

1.2 upgrade available on meteor now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

how do you update the phone? an on meteor too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

DonFred wrote: »
    how do you update the phone? an on meteor too
    hit the main button-applications-sw update-done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Which product code? Not available for 059D7X4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

My e-Mobile SIM-free phone has 1.2 on it now, but the product code is 059C5Q8, which is actually a UK code, according to one of the spreadsheets Nokia published before.

Seems the early handsets were sourced from a variety of places, and not all were branded/locked.

I've noticed no differences between 1.1 and 1.2, so if you don't have it, don't worry about it.

By the way, if this hasn't been mentioned before: Nokia are announcing new Symbian (i.e., not Windows Phone) stuff on Tuesday morning, 9:00. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/nokia-announces-symbian-smartphone-event-for-april-12/)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

This is exactly why I replied to one of your posts a few weeks ago.
    You make statements that are, at best, ambiguous and then leave.
    People come here needing, amongst other things, help - not to be confused even more.
    Even your reply to my post..... doesn't address the issue I raised. I didn't ask about NSS.

Unless appearances are deceiving, you do seem to have quite a bit of knowledge. It would be great if you used that knowledge to help others effectively.
    Twas a reply to a poster linking to a guide which he said would let you change product code

but Nemisis Service Suite does not support Nokia S^3 phones - so no way to change product code!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

Can anyone help me with this issue. My Eircom mail was working fine all along but last night I logged into my ericom mail on my pc using microsoft outlook and the second I did this I started getting the following message on my email on my phone.

[38] account not found. Delete account and add it again.

So I deleted the account and tried to add it again but it keeps failing. Telling me it can't connect to the server because of my settings. It then loads Eircom net free and that wouldn't be so bad but none of my personel folders are visible.

Has anyone experienced this issue ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

ncc1699 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me with this issue. My Eircom mail was working fine all along but last night I logged into my ericom mail on my pc using microsoft outlook and the second I did this I started getting the following message on my email on my phone.

[38] account not found. Delete account and add it again.

So I deleted the account and tried to add it again but it keeps failing. Telling me it can't connect to the server because of my settings. It then loads Eircom net free and that wouldn't be so bad but none of my personel folders are visible.

Has anyone experienced this issue ? :mad:

I had exactly the same issue and followed the same route as you.
    Just checked my email on the phone and seems to be running normally.
    By personal folders, do you mean extra folders you set up yourself? I don't have any of those, so I wouldn't know about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

I had exactly the same issue and followed the same route as you.
    Just checked my email on the phone and seems to be running normally.
    By personal folders, do you mean extra folders you set up yourself? I don't have any of those, so I wouldn't know about that.

Yeah they are folders I set up myself, Well it's only one. I found this on another forum in relation to the C7, I might try this as a last resort.

Delete all your mail accounts on your C7.

Then set them up again one by one, but when asked during the installation process to accept the agreement choose "decline"; and confirm that you indeed want to decline.
    Then you proceed setting up your account. This will be done without the Nokia server being involved, just as setting up an email account on any computer.
    Open "Mailbox settings", select "advanced mailbox settings", and there you have all the options for configuring your account.

Should work flawlessly after that.
    At least it did on my C7 after having experienced the same kind of problems you were describing.

KrisW wrote: »
    My e-Mobile SIM-free phone has 1.2 on it now, but the product code is 059C5Q8, which is actually a UK code, according to one of the spreadsheets Nokia published before.

Seems the early handsets were sourced from a variety of places, and not all were branded/locked.

I've noticed no differences between 1.1 and 1.2, so if you don't have it, don't worry about it.

By the way, if this hasn't been mentioned before: Nokia are announcing new Symbian (i.e., not Windows Phone) stuff on Tuesday morning, 9:00. (http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/05/nokia-announces-symbian-smartphone-event-for-april-12/)
    It was always stated that PR1.2 was always only a small update to fix e-mail synchronisation problems....so I don't know what else you seemed to be expecting!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

That was my point actually: people fretting about not having PR1.2 need not worry: there's nothing new and cool that they're missing out on.

The major change in 1.2 was to fix a synchonisation bug with some MS Exchange setups. If you didn't have the problem, you won't notice anything new on 1.2...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

hey, bought the N8 the other day, very happy with it so far. One question, I asked it previously in the thread but didnt request any isntructions. How can I install Maemo apps on the nokia n8. When I download the app its a .deb file, I wont install on my phone.

Specifically its the Instiv music player Im trying to install, any advice appreciated. thanks in advance

Advertisement