Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

hey, bought the N8 the other day, very happy with it so far. One question, I asked it previously in the thread but didnt request any isntructions. How can I install Maemo apps on the nokia n8. When I download the app its a .deb file, I wont install on my phone.

Specifically its the Instiv music player Im trying to install, any advice appreciated. thanks in advance
    Pretty sure you can't as those apps are not designed for Symbian^3

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

kmart6 wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can't as those apps are not designed for Symbian^3

Feck it, someone in the thread a while ago was saying there was away to install them.

Well maybe there is, but I just doubt it! The only way I can see it working is if you could install Maemo on your N8...which you can't...or if someone just redesigned a Maemo App for Symbian^3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

dr ro wrote: »
    1.2 upgrade available on meteor now

Where did you hear this exactly?? A link would be great because it's clearly not true for all product codes, I'm still stuck on PR1.0.

@deco nate: That's not how you update the firmware, that's only a software update. You go to settings - phone - phone management - device updates - options - check for updates.

Does anyone know how to use the opera browser for apps/email etc? Whenever a link is opened through an app or email it still uses the crappy pre-installed browser, is it possible to change this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

rickyjb wrote: »
    Where did you hear this exactly?? A link would be great because it's clearly not true for all product codes, I'm still stuck on PR1.0.

@deco nate: That's not how you update the firmware, that's only a software update. You go to settings - phone - phone management - device updates - options - check for updates.

i got n8 from meteor store as soon as was released. As it says above it's possible that meteor got some unlocked n8's and sold them before locked ones were released. I can't say if this is the case or not but it would explain why I've been able to update where others have not. I'm on product code 059c5q8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

dr ro,

You've the same product code as me, and not only is that not a "Meteor" code, it's not even an "Ireland" code. It's listed as "UK, No carrier" by Nokia.

The "real" Meteor/eMobile ones are not so quick with updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

rickyjb wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to use the opera browser for apps/email etc? Whenever a link is opened through an app or email it still uses the crappy pre-installed browser, is it possible to change this?

Settings->Application Settings->Default Applications->Browsing Internet->select Opera Mobile

That should do the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

zinzan wrote: »
    Settings->Application Settings->Default Applications->Browsing Internet->select Opera Mobile

That should do the trick!

are you sure that works, pretty sure it dont

Works fine for most things - e.g. links in mail etc.
    Doesn't work with the social widget though.

More info here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

More info here
    ah, must've been an update
    That's good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

KrisW wrote: »
    dr ro,

You've the same product code as me, and not only is that not a "Meteor" code, it's not even an "Ireland" code. It's listed as "UK, No carrier" by Nokia.

The "real" Meteor/eMobile ones are not so quick with updates.
    I suspected something was amiss. It's not like meteor to be up to date.

Have posted details on today's Nokia Symbian event here

More info here

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that didn't work before but it seems to now, maybe because of the new version of opera mobile??

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Everytime I check Accuweather, it keeps on asking me if it can connect to the net. Is there any way to set it so that it doesn't ask first?

There's a bug in Web Runtime, which is the basis of Nokia Social and Ovi Store, that means it doesn't honour your preferred browser settings. So, links someone puts up on Facebook or twitter will always open in the built-in browser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

I have noticed some screen burn in the last few days on my N8 has anybody else had this and do nokia repair or replace on this issue does anybody know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading to this handset purely because the camera specs seem so good. I'm not that interested in apps etc. I just want to have a phone that will allow me to not have to bring a digital camera out with me all the time.

As you guys are owners of the phone- does the camera functions live up to the hype? Would you recommend this phone purely based in the camera?

Thanks, I'm sure this has prob been covered before, but 82 pages is a lot to get through!

I think the camera is as good as if not better than most digital cameras i've seen but i'm no expert. Can't really comment on the functionality, seems to do everything your standard digital will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Other sites reckon a version of this phone will ship with WP7, probably in the Autumn. Should be a nice phone. Great hardware, no Symbian or Android in sight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭goldwing

goldwing wrote: »
    I have noticed some screen burn in the last few days on my N8 has anybody else had this and do nokia repair or replace on this issue does anybody know?

ANYONE??

Screen burn how? Some of the default themes are "almost" solid - a very small amount of the background shows through when you bring up the text-edit box, for instance.

The known N8 screen issue is that some phones have a purple colour cast to them. This can be fixed by a Nokia repair centre under warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

KrisW wrote: »
    Screen burn how? Some of the default themes are "almost" solid - a very small amount of the background shows through when you bring up the text-edit box, for instance.

The known N8 screen issue is that some phones have a purple colour cast to them. This can be fixed by a Nokia repair centre under warranty.

I had that problem and Fonefix(used to be MPRC) fixed the problem for 15e 3 hr turn around,I have been using mine for just under a week and the slickness of the screen is excellant I asked two of my mates which phone would they prefer N8/IP4 they said the build quality on the N8 was way better than the IP4.

I had that problem and Fonefix(used to be MPRC) fixed the problem for 15e 3 hr turn around,I have been using mine for just under a week and the slickness of the screen is excellant I asked two of my mates which phone would they prefer N8/IP4 they said the build quality on the N8 was way better than the IP4.
    The fixed what exactly for €15?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The fixed what exactly for €15?!

Im guessing:

The purple tint, and the €15 was a walk in charge

Surely there shoulda been no charge!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Surely there shoulda been no charge!!!

Their isnt if you go via the network/place of purchase

bd250110 wrote: »
    Other sites reckon a version of this phone will ship with WP7, probably in the Autumn. Should be a nice phone. Great hardware, no Symbian or Android in sight!

Nope. WP7 is extremely limited in its hardware platforms. There are currently only two approved designs, and N8 is like neither.

There was an April Fool's movie from one of the gadget sites showing an N8 "running" WP7, but it was a hoax. Maybe that's what has started it.

Personally, WP7 hasn't impressed me. I love the UI, but the OS doesn't do enough yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Davy wrote: »
    Im guessing:

The purple tint, and the €15 was a walk in charge

Thats the one Davy;)

• Advertisement

Are they not a NSC though?!

Advertisement