Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kmart6 wrote: »
    Are they not a NSC though?!
    Walk-In Service
    Fónfix operates a walk-in service at our repair centre in Sandyford, Dublin. If you wish to avail of this service you can call into our front desk and have your phone repaired in as little as three hours. Please note there is a non-refundable handling fee of €15 for this service.

You don't have to pay this if you send it to them via the post or via the place of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

Can anyone tell me how long should it take a transfer an album from Ovi music suite to the N8 ? Everytime I attempt to do this the phone displays a "Media Transfer In Progress" message but it takes an eternity. In the few months I've had the phone I've managed to transfer one album.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what I might be doing wrong or is this normal ?

Have you tired using WMP, the sync works well in that i find. An album should transfer in 2 minutes, but will depend on quality/size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xxxSonsuzaxxx

Hi all,

I've a Nokia N8. About every 6 - 8 hours it doesn't allow me to make or recieve calls (i get that 'unobtainable' tone and a screen message saying 'not allowed') however i can still send & receive texts and use the internet. If i take my sim out and put it straight back in it still wont work but if i put it in another phone, power that phone on & make a call it then put it back in my N8 it works again. I have to do this every 6 - 8 hours.

I've called customer service and they've told me to pop into a VF shop or to go to MPRC but i don't have a chance with work and i've had bad experiences with MPRC before and don't want to go back if i don't have to.

Has anyone had issues like this before and if so was it a phone problem or a problem with the sim? I'm a bit confused, thought it must be a sim problem but the minute i put it in another phone it works ok but if it was a phone problem surely i'd not be able send/receive messages and use the web also?

Apologies for rambling, just thought i'd chance my arm here and see if anyone could shed any light as i'm sick to my back teeth of trying to speak with customer services! This is going on since Friday.

Thanks smile.gif

Go into any vodafone store and ask for a free replacement sim card, and they will give you one straight away, will only take 5 minutes. Then try that for awhile, and if its still the same im afraid you will have to send it to MPRC (fonefix)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

ncc1699 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how long should it take a transfer an album from Ovi music suite to the N8 ? Everytime I attempt to do this the phone displays a "Media Transfer In Progress" message but it takes an eternity. In the few months I've had the phone I've managed to transfer one album.

Does anyone have a suggestion about what I might be doing wrong or is this normal ?

Are you using bluetooth? Is the main pc suite application attempting to update files on your phone at the same time maybe? It's much easier/faster to just drag and drop folders into the music folder of the appropriate drive on your phone (should be a music folder in the 16gb drive if you don't have an extra microSDHC card). It doesn't really matter where you put them anyway as the music player will scan your phone for them, just try and make sure the ID3 tags are set up properly or you won't be able to find anything.

Davy wrote: »
    Have you tired using WMP, the sync works well in that i find. An album should transfer in 2 minutes, but will depend on quality/size

Thanks Davy. The first time I tried that I got an error message, don't remember what it said. I connected the phone up again to my pc and opened WMP and now it appears all the albums on my laptop have sync'd to the phone. It's still saying media transfer in progress but if it's moving all my albums then it's going to take a while.

rickyjb wrote: »
    Are you using bluetooth? Is the main pc suite application attempting to update files on your phone at the same time maybe? It's much easier/faster to just drag and drop folders into the music folder of the appropriate drive on your phone (should be a music folder in the 16gb drive if you don't have an extra microSDHC card). It doesn't really matter where you put them anyway as the music player will scan your phone for them, just try and make sure the ID3 tags are set up properly or you won't be able to find anything.

I was using the usb connection and the pc suite kept popping up all the time so it was probably causing an issue. I tried Davy's suggestion with the wmp sync on the pc and it appears to have done the job. Thanks for the info though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xxxSonsuzaxxx

Go into any vodafone store and ask for a free replacement sim card, and they will give you one straight away, will only take 5 minutes. Then try that for awhile, and if its still the same im afraid you will have to send it to MPRC (fonefix)

Thanks Davy,

I contacted fonemenders and they said before i bring it in to update my firmware. When i try to do this it tells me i have to set up a server profile. There was one there before because i've updated the software before but now it's gone and i have no clue what to type in to set up a new one.

Is there set server profile details for an N8 does anyone know?

Sorry, i'm a complete technophobe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

Heres a vid i recorded in new york. I really like the vid quailty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYSVcXSZXMA

Let me know what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I connected the phone up again to my pc and opened WMP and now it appears all the albums on my laptop have sync'd to the phone. It's still saying media transfer in progress but if it's moving all my albums then it's going to take a while.

I use MediaMonkey, and just set up the phone as a generic USB media player.

The only changes to the defaults were that I had to set MM to copy the files into the "Music" directory on the phone (not necessary, as the inbuilt player will find them), and to convert embedded artwork to a "folder.jpg" image if absent.

Once I'd done that, I created a playlist called "N8 Music", and told MM that whatever was in this was to be synced to the device. On Windows 7, you can still sync even when the phone is in "Ovi Suite" mode; on older versions of Windows, it seems you need to put the phone in Mass Storage mode.

As a bonus, MM also handles iPods (and does it better than iTunes - e.g., when you push new songs onto the iPod, the old ones on the iPod are not deleted just because they're not also on your PC!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

+1 for MediaMonkey, it's much better than WMP player for sorting out ID3 tags and just runs better overall, has some nice features.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Thanks for the recommendation Kris, the ovi suite was starting to drive me a bit up the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

My N8 has developed a wierd problem that I have no idea how to solve.
    Occasionally (and instances can be even 12 -14 hours apart), the phone will suddenly emit the 'default' mail alert tone (in my case email 3). Yet no email received nor anything else out of the ordinary.
    It's a royal pain in the posterior when the bloody thing goes off at 2am....

Apart from disabling the email tone, any suggestion on how to resolve this?

Italia wrote: »

Are you sure its not syncing email?

Can you check your bill information for times to see if its using data during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is it not just a case of creating and selecting a profile with All alerts off for when you're in bed, you won't be disturbed then. It isn't an answer to why the alert is coming in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Any apps running?
    there has been reported cases of nokia phones just making random noises without reason the only possible conclusion to date was an app that was set to sync as mentioned or loss of signal which does happen.
    you could turn warning tones off in the profiles but this would effect other tone alerts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

can you jailbreak the n8 like the iphone where u can get free apps and games??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

Occasionally (and instances can be even 12 -14 hours apart), the phone will suddenly emit the 'default' mail alert tone (in my case email 3). Yet no email received nor anything else out of the ordinary.

I just change the profile to silent at night as i get emails at all hours,have had your problem the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

kevin-46 wrote: »
    can you jailbreak the n8 like the iphone where u can get free apps and games??
    Nokia's don't need to be 'jailbreaked'...just google what your looking and you'll fond the answers your looking for!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭kevin-46

ye i know wat you mean put can u get free game and apps of internet instead of goin through ovi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

kevin-46 wrote: »
    ye i know wat you mean put can u get free game and apps of internet instead of goin through ovi

Yes. You can install things by downloading directly from net, sending files via bluetooth, text message or email. You can also install from memory card.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I don't use the built in email client. I use Profimail as I find it easier to synch to all my various email addresses on one screen.
    In any event, its set to synch to email only on workdays between 7am and 6pm.
    The wierd thing is that I had the problem the first 2 days I had the phone and then it stopped until last Thursday and I have no idea why.

The only other things running are:
    Bluetooth
    3G
    calendar widget.
    Are you sure its not syncing email?

Can you check your bill information for times to see if its using data during the night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

I had a something similar with my C7 using the Nokia mail app... it would sound alert and say 'new message' but on opening app, there appeared to be no new messages - then I realised I had messages set to display by date, so when I switched it to display new messages, there they were - junk emails that had random dates from months ago on them...
    Might be nothing like your issue, but had me scratching my head for a while!

Any good podcasting apps around. Used to download to n95 but no built in app here.

dr ro wrote: »
    Any good podcasting apps around. Used to download to n95 but no built in app here.

What have you tried?

Have you tried Podcatcher?

yeah i tried looking for podcasting app in ovi store. Nothing turned up. I did download podcatcher and it's working fine thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

There's a bug in podcatcher makes it not so useful: if you use it to play the podcast, and then exit, it won't remember where you'd paused it.

The workaround is to go to Music Player, select "Refresh Library", and the podcasts will be pulled into your library. To listen to the podcasts, tap Options then choose "Podcasts" from the list. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Is it possible to legally debrand an N8 bought with 3 and not affect the warranty? Also when the latest software is available is it available from the networks, especially 3. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

lolie wrote: »
    Is it possible to legally debrand an N8 bought with 3 and not affect the warranty? Also when the latest software is available is it available from the networks, especially 3. Thanks
    This was really hard to do :rolleyes:

Advertisement