Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

My n8 is now deleting emails as it syncs as i have already deleted them on the pc only thing is it never did this before,i would have to delete the mail myself from the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

ofcork wrote: »
    My n8 is now deleting emails as it syncs as i have already deleted them on the pc only thing is it never did this before,i would have to delete the mail myself from the phone.
    That's always been the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats the thing mine has only started doing it now,never did it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

I can't send picture message from my phone. Is there a setting i'v too set up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cena wrote: »
    I can't send picture message from my phone. Is there a setting i'v too set up

What network are you on? Did you get the handset from them?

I got it from King Communications [vodafone] in roscommon the first week it came out.

I got it from King Communications [vodafone] in roscommon the first week it came out.

So you have never sent a mms then?

Its probably your account setup on VF end rather than the mms setup on the handset. Go to Menu>settings>application settings> settings wizard and press start to check the operator settings. It will tell you if the settings are already in place for MMS.

You can also confirm them from the sticky.

Davy wrote: »
    So you have never sent a mms then?

Its probably your account setup on VF end rather than the mms setup on the handset. Go to Menu>settings>application settings> settings wizard and press start to check the operator settings. It will tell you if the settings are already in place for MMS.

You can also confirm them from the sticky.

No never sent on from this phone.

Just done what you said and it doesn't work

No never sent on from this phone.

Just done what you said and it doesn't work

If you go to 'messaging' in the application settings, whats listed as the "access point in use" under the multimedia msg section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Had my N8 about 2 weeks now and happy with it overall - found some really useful tips on here already so keep them coming.

I have two issues and am wondering if there is anything that can be done to fix them:
    1 - network selection seems to default to automatic and i cannot stop this from happening. bit of a pain as where i work reception from my network can be bad and phone switches to another network which i don't want happening.
    2 - wired handsfree kit that came with phone is not recognised as such and cannot be used to make calls. would be useful for when i'm out and about in the garden or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

1 - network selection seems to default to automatic and i cannot stop this from happening. bit of a pain as where i work reception from my network can be bad and phone switches to another network which i don't want happening.
    Connection Manager > Network > Operator Selection > "Manual", wait for the phone to scan for available networks, and then choose your home network there.

( The easiest way to get to the Connection Manager is to tap the top-right corner of the main menu, where the battery meter is shown, and then press the icon at the top left of the panel that appears. )

2 - wired handsfree kit that came with phone is not recognised as such and cannot be used to make calls. would be useful for when i'm out and about in the garden or something.
    Well, it's supposed to, and mine does, so you may have a dud.

First, make sure there's no dust or fluff in the headphone socket, and then make sure the headphones are plugged in all the way.

You can then make a call two ways - either by dialling on the phone, or hold down the silver "phone" button at the side of the remote control (the button that isn't the Vol+/Vol- one) and use voice-dialling.

.... warning: voice dialling may fail miserably on Irish girls' names ;)

If it doesn't work, bring it back to the shop and ask to try a different pair of earphones (or try your earphones on a different phone) to find out if it's the phone or the earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭kchsligo

Thanks KrisW - only problem with the network selection is that is it defaults back to automatic all the time, even brought it to shop yesterday and they had not answer either.

trying to sort one thing out at a time so will get around to headphones asap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I'm guessing you work in a border area, and the phone is picking up UK network overspill?

A quick way to force a re-scan is to put the phone into "Offline" mode, then back to "General":
    Press the power button once, choose "Offline"; Press the power button again, choose "General" and answer "Yes" to the "Reconnect to network?" prompt. Not ideal, but it'll get you back to your own network if you've got any coverage at all on it.

By the way, when you check with your network operator, find out exactly what their policy is on Northern Ireland roaming - some operators don't charge for this, as long as you stay on a specific NI network.

Btw, you should also have "Data Use When Abroad" set to either "WLAN only" or "Always ask"? (tap the connections icon as before, then choose "Settings")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kaensm

I want a nokia android phone. do you think they would release an android phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

No, they won't.

Nokia will be switching to Windows Phone 7 in the near future.

No, they won't.

Nokia will be switching to Windows Phone 7 in the near future.

I see. Thank you for that information. Why won't they try android phones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Because microsoft bribed them not to.

kaensm wrote: »
    I see. Thank you for that information. Why won't they try android phones?
    Because they said they aren't!!

Nokia have focused on Symbian and MeeGo solely in the the last few years.

They have said they have no interest in Android at the moment, and instead have teamed up with Windows to create a smartphone with Nokia's hardware and Microsoft's OS!!

Android isn't the be all and end all you know!!

srsly78 wrote: »
    Because microsoft bribed them not to.
    Oh wait no....you got it exactly right....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Because they said they aren't!!

Nokia have focused on Symbian and MeeGo solely in the the last few years.

They have said they have no interest in Android at the moment, and instead have teamed up with Windows to create a smartphone with Nokia's hardware and Microsoft's OS!!

Android isn't the be all and end all you know!!

I see. All things are clear now. So nokia teamed up with Windows. Well, that's also great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

The Nokia Microsoft Partnership has unbelievable potential, so I really hope they pull it off. At first I was very skeptical, but now I'm interested to see what happens.

nokia-windows-phone-7-concept.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I,m using the N8 the last two months now and think it's the biz saying that I played the exact same video clip on youtube both on the N8 and Iphone4 and have to say the clarity on the Iphone 4 was much clearer than the N8:(.
    I haven't told my mates who are apple fan boys due to the stick I will get off them other than that the N8 kicks arse.

The Nokia Microsoft Partnership has unbelievable potential, so I really hope they pull it off. At first I was very skeptical, but now I'm interested to see what happens.

nokia-windows-phone-7-concept.jpg

I'm also excited what will happen in their team up. Nokia and Microsoft might be a perfect team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Just received PR1.2 update to my N8 (and my battery capacity plunged from 90% to 20% in the process :eek:).

According to this Nokia forum post, "PR1.2 only contains a fix for a Mail for Exchange sync problem".

Am on Vodafone but ran "Check for updates" in Setting/Phone Management/Device Updates. Recommend anyone doing this first plugs it into the mains...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

When I use ovi store it wont let me use wifi, always connects to vodafone. the browser and other apps always pick uf the wifi if available! I think i read a post of someone who had a similiar problem a good while back but i went mad trying to find it.

I think he/she did some kind of reset wit a number, not really sure!!!!!!!!
    can anyone help, thanks.

jm99 wrote: »
    When I use ovi store it wont let me use wifi, always connects to vodafone. the browser and other apps always pick uf the wifi if available! I think i read a post of someone who had a similiar problem a good while back but i went mad trying to find it.

I think he/she did some kind of reset wit a number, not really sure!!!!!!!!
    can anyone help, thanks.

Menu > settings > connectivity > settings > destinations.

Make 'internet' the default connection. Shown by the little tick beside it. Press 'options' and default connection then select internet. You should have your wlan acces points saved in 'internet' destination for this to work. Let me know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

thanks once again Davy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

has anyone found a decent internet radio app??

i downloaded the 1 from ovi store but it cant get rte 1 or 2 and wont play alot of other stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Davy wrote: »
    Menu > settings > connectivity > settings > destinations.

Make 'internet' the default connection. Shown by the little tick beside it. Press 'options' and default connection then select internet. You should have your wlan acces points saved in 'internet' destination for this to work. Let me know how you get on

I've done that and have my wireless set as priority 1 but sometimes i still get asked if i want to connect to a "cellular network", and i'm given the option of "connect automatically" or "this time". Its the same with the facebook app.

Could it be a weak wireless signal?

Advertisement