Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

menu settings connectivity settings, data use in home country = automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

dr ro wrote: »
    menu settings connectivity settings, data use in home country = automatic?

I have

switch to wlan "Known Wlans only"
    data use in home country "always ask"
    Abroad "always ask"

should it be automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

worth trying. That's the way I've set up. Always auto wifi for ovi store. Some apps do still look for permission though. Don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

I,m using the N8 the last two months now and think it's the biz saying that I played the exact same video clip on youtube both on the N8 and Iphone4 and have to say the clarity on the Iphone 4 was much clearer than the N8:(.
    I haven't told my mates who are apple fan boys due to the stick I will get off them other than that the N8 kicks arse.

Blame YouTube and Google (who own it).

YouTube uses Adobe Flash to display its videos. iPhone doesn't support Flash at all, but needed to support YouTube, so Apple made a special deal with YouTube that allows them to grab the high-quality videos directly from YouTube, and bypass the Flash player.

The N8 is well capable of doing the same, but because there's no deal in place to let them get the raw video streams, so you're left with the Mobile or Flash Lite streams, which are both 240p. The iPhone plays the 360p streams.

There's a free application in the Ovi Store called "YouTube Downloader".
    If you want to compare video quality like-for-like, then get this app, grab the video you want, save it to your phone, and play it.
    I'd be interested to see if someone uses this app as the basis for a better YouTube player..

Or get "Nokia Trailers" to download and play movie trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

And yet Android devices can play youtube full version (not gimped mobile) just like a PC. Why can't the N8? Admittedly the patches to fix flash hardware support (flash player 10.2) have only come out quite recently for some android devices, but the Desire has had it for ages.

Also note that some carriers like Vodafone like to proxy youtube and force you to use lowquality version >.<

Is there no adobe flash for the N8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Got a quick search update today yaaay.

Still have not got either PR 1.1 or 1.2 from meteor though.

srsly78 wrote: »
    And yet Android devices can play youtube full version (not gimped mobile) just like a PC. Why can't the N8? Admittedly the patches to fix flash hardware support (flash player 10.2) have only come out quite recently for some android devices, but the Desire has had it for ages.
    Do you have an Android phone? Didn't know that...
    Also note that some carriers like Vodafone like to proxy youtube and force you to use lowquality version >.<

Is there no adobe flash for the N8?

Yes, Flash Lite. However, when YouTube detects that Flash Lite is being used, it serves a "mobile" player that allows only 240p video.

There isn't a technical issue here, it's YouTube's decision. Apple's "YouTube" player uses an undocumented YouTube interface to extract the video streams directly without using a player.

But YouTube's reluctance to offer it to other customers is only partly because those customers compete with Android. The main reason is because this direct method bypasses the popup advertising, and that's the only income YouTube has.

Flash lite is worthless tbh. If Nokia supported full flash there would be no problem, it can be done. I use android tablet to watch aljazeera and rte player via the normal website, works fine (has only been possible since april tho).

There is major bug with vodafone as well, if I tether via vodafone youtube does not work even on windows laptop >.<

There is major bug with vodafone as well, if I tether via vodafone youtube does not work even on windows laptop

Interesting. YouTube is the highest-data-rate service normally used on mobile devices, so I'm not surprised that it was too much of a temptation for VF to resist. After all, the 240p videos are half the bitrate of the 360p streams (380kbps vs 750 kbps)

In other words, I doubt that it's a bug..

Vodafone dropping youtube down to low resolution would not be a bug. Youtube not working at all is a bug.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I misread that. Yeah, that is certainly weird.

For tethered access, I'd expect the phone to behave like a modem, with no filtering, no traffic shaping: whatever the phone can see, my connected computer should see too.

Very off-topic now, but does this happen with other phones, too, or just your model? ...It's equally possible it's the phone doing this, but "why" is even more puzzling then.

I've never seen this behaviour while using JoikuSpot on the N8, but I'm on a different network too (eMobile/Meteor).

I don't know tbh, some googling shows other people with same problem. I just noticed this because I borrowed a mates phone while in the UK and he was on vodafone.

edit: Ok... I had found some references to this problem last week. But when I google today I find THIS THREAD >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

angry birds snap on cases

http://nokia.ly/kE4wy2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

KrisW wrote: »
    Blame YouTube and Google (who own it).

YouTube uses Adobe Flash to display its videos. iPhone doesn't support Flash at all, but needed to support YouTube, so Apple made a special deal with YouTube that allows them to grab the high-quality videos directly from YouTube, and bypass the Flash player.

The N8 is well capable of doing the same, but because there's no deal in place to let them get the raw video streams, so you're left with the Mobile or Flash Lite streams, which are both 240p. The iPhone plays the 360p streams.

There's a free application in the Ovi Store called "YouTube Downloader".
    If you want to compare video quality like-for-like, then get this app, grab the video you want, save it to your phone, and play it.
    I'd be interested to see if someone uses this app as the basis for a better YouTube player..

Or get "Nokia Trailers" to download and play movie trailers.

Hi KrisW I downloaded the youtube app and I reckon the iphone4 still beats the N8 on screen clarity I,m going play two vids at the same time and get one of my mates to watch them as it could be my aul eyes.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

It would though, the iPhone has a higher resolution. The flipside of that is that it requires more processing power, and hence decreases battery life. The N8 screen is smaller too, which further impacts on battery life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Hi KrisW I downloaded the youtube app and I reckon the iphone4 still beats the N8 on screen clarity I,m going play two vids at the same time and get one of my mates to watch them as it could be my aul eyes.:o
    just dl a video at 720p,and play it thru your tv usin the hmdi.
    nuff said:D
    (cant do that with an iphone:pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

It would though, the iPhone has a higher resolution. The flipside of that is that it requires more processing power, and hence decreases battery life. The N8 screen is smaller too, which lessens impacts on battery life.
    fyp:pac:

Thanks! Meant to say improves rather than impacts on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

deco nate wrote: »
    just dl a video at 720p,and play it thru your tv usin the hmdi.
    nuff said:D
    (cant do that with an iphone:pac:)

You can :P just need to pay apple 49 yo yo's for a "Special HDMI" adapter. Its for iPad but people mentioned it worked on the iPhone too.

Either way theres nothing wrong with N8's screen clarity :) its a good enough :)

The fact that N8 has a smaller screen with smaller battery life doesnt help the fact that software doesnt do a great job on taking advantage of this and managing it properly. An average person still only gets a day out of it. Light users maybe two days.

iPhone 4 has higher resolution, but it's still an LCD display: in every other aspect (contrast, motion, colour rendition, power consumption) the N8's AMOLED technology is superior. The newer C7 is better again, but the N8 is no slouch.

Turn down the lights, and watch something dark, and you'll see the big weakness of LCD displays: it's impossible to get a true black.

On this note, for another reason why AMOLED screens rock, check out Nokia Sleeping Screen on BetaLabs.nokia.com.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Speaking of the N8 screen has anyone had any problems with the purple tint on the screen? If you had and got it repaired is it faulty amoled screens or a software problem. Had a look at nokia forums and a lot of people whose phones had the fault sent them for repair but came back still faulty.:confused:

Only very very slightly, and that was in a dark room with a screen calibration image open testing it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Ah now something has stopped working...

The web browser...if i click on it just jumps back to the home screen

WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭trellheim

Nokia claims 14.002 will fix the proximity sensor problem. I can confirm it does not. Does anyone know any more ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

trellheim wrote: »
    Nokia claims 14.002 will fix the proximity sensor problem. I can confirm it does not. Does anyone know any more ?

Will that stop my calls being hung up my my cheek? It happens occasionally - I know I do hold my phone too close to my ear, but this never happened pre N8!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yes; as far as I can see everyone thinks it is just their problem; people's cheek putting the phone on hold or hanging the damn call up.

It's a proximity sensor thing ( google it ) and Nokia claim 14.002 fixes it; I have 14.002 and it doesn't do a thing for it.

The only temporary workaround is as soon as you take a call flick the lock handset toggle on the right hand side and that locks out the screen.

Of course to hang up then you need to unlock the damn thing again.

Arrrrgghhhhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Just tell them to hang up first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

The social network(communities) app that comes installed on my girlfriends N8 stopped working.
    It comes up_ Script alert - Sorry, please uninstall and reinstall communities.

Anyone any ideas? I'd uninstall it but I cant find where to download it from then.
    Tried using a few different social apps but she doesnt think there near as good as the one that came installed.

Would be grateful if anyone can help. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭jm99

Davy wrote: »

Thanks Davy, dont know why i couldnt find it myself.
    Now do, the phone wont let me uninstall social!
    I see under bug reports on the page above it must be a problem for a good few.
    Its gives instructions on how to fix. Might try it when I get some time.

Advertisement