Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are Meteor ever likely to approve the 13.x/14.x firmware updates? I don't feel like going down the Phoenix route all that much however I'd very much like the apparent proximity sensor fixes in 14.2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Meteor have approved the PR1.1 update for product code 059D7X4. I'd be interested in a proximity sensor update though, I sometimes end up putting people on hold during a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't think of checking before posting - PR 1.1 (13.x) wasn't available on the updater all of two days ago. Installing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Any news on PR 2.0?
    I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that it would follow swiftly after PR1.1....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Italia wrote: »
    Any news on PR 2.0?
    I was under the (probably mistaken) impression that it would follow swiftly after PR1.1....
    Just search for Symbian Anna and you'll find a lot of disappointment.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

kmart6 wrote: »
    Just search for Symbian Anna and you'll find a lot of disappointment.....

At least devices are now shipping with Anna... latest rumours suggest this month sometime, if that's the case then by the time operators roll it out I'd say it might be available sometime in September/October?!! :(

Yeah but when new devices are getting shipped with Anna, and a few million customers who have already purchased devices are left waiting on software they were first told they would have in January it becomes a bit of a joke!

You don't always have to wait for the networks, so that isn't really a problem. Also, there's rumours that it will be released universally with the networks not being able to hold it back!

I'd be more worried about when we might get to see Belle and how long that will be delayed!

Yeah but when new devices are getting shipped with Anna, and a few million customers who have already purchased devices are left waiting on software they were first told they would have in January it becomes a bit of a joke!

You don't always have to wait for the networks, so that isn't really a problem. Also, there's rumours that it will be released universally with the networks not being able to hold it back!

I'd be more worried about when we might get to see Belle and how long that will be delayed!

Don't hold your breath on it being released universally - I asked Nokia would it be a compulsory update or at the operators discretion and got the following response:

"Hi,

as Symbian Anna has such a high consumer demand, we expect most of the operators to range it.

BR, yvonne"

So it looks like it will be another case of wait and see if it will ever be implemented...

Symbian Anna to be ready for roll out and released in July 2011 apparently, with a further update for N8 camera functionality to follow:

Anna Update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So how much does a new N8 cost nowadays?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

zinzan wrote: »
    Symbian Anna to be ready for roll out and released in July 2011 apparently, with a further update for N8 camera functionality to follow:

Anna Update

Meteor customers should get it by the end of 2013 then:rolleyes::cool:

You know that just seems like an N8 fan page and isn't actually the official Nokia France page!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

rickyjb wrote: »
    Meteor customers should get it by the end of 2013 then:rolleyes::cool:

Jasus ricky dont saw that. I bought an N8 few months ago on adverts. It had meteor settings on it and i only got the the PR1.1 few weeks ago so im not holdin me breath for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

It should be the end of july 2011 according to nokia, like i said on the discussions website
    Are you sure its not 2012 :D

You know that just seems like an N8 fan page and isn't actually the official Nokia France page!!

Yeah - no one seems too sure on it's status now - it is using an older symbian logo in the pic too, but then who knows what the French are doing...
    Frustrating.

zinzan wrote: »
    Yeah - no one seems too sure on it's status now - it is using an older symbian logo in the pic too, but then who knows what the French are doing...
    Frustrating.
    Tbh I wouldn't take anything you see on any Nokia Facebook page...the UK one was saying it was going to be out awhile ago and the comment got deleted or corrected!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

What do guys think of the headphones? mine has packed in after just 3 months use if even that, The ear peice went low on one side then the remote packed in today then no sound through the other ear peice.
    I think the head phones on the N8 are very flimsy and a pain in the arse compared to the ones on the N97 regarding just having them hanging around your neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Picked up the BH505 headset cheap on ebay (an original from UK not HK fake) and have found them alright so far. Grand for music, but on calls it was windy and the mike picked up the noise of that plus a lot of other background stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

g0g wrote: »
    Picked up the BH505 headset cheap on ebay (an original from UK not HK fake) and have found them alright so far. Grand for music, but on calls it was windy and the mike picked up the noise of that plus a lot of other background stuff!

I have being using this lately, and find it pretty good. The ear buds aren't amazing by any standard, but you can use any 3.5mm headphones with the receiver

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/accessories/all-accessories/headsets/bluetooth-stereo-headsets/nokia-bluetooth-stereo-headset-bh-214

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 kingcantona

Was thinking of getting this phone the last few weeks mainly because of the camera. Was just wondering is the software decent or should i hold off on buying one until Symbian Anna comes out on it? Or even just hold off altogether until a newer model with similar or better camera features come out? Kinda unsure as phones are advancing at an incredible rate!

• Advertisement

Anybody getting the X7?

Is X7 available here yet? Not sure I like the look of its from factor from what I've seen so far...

In other news, Nokia continue to perplex the world by announcing the N9 Meego powered phone Nokia N9 - given that they are not going to use it in further mobiles it seems like a folly and a waste of effort releasing a device that is essentially already dead in the water..

12 more Symbian handsets on the way in the following year though apparently, and there is finally an official announcement on Symbian Anna update

http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/06/21/symbian-anna-available-starting-july/

It will ship on new C7/N8/E7 etc from July and will be available for download for other users from August... so another delay then - but at least it's official confirmation something is happening!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

What is the Symbian Anna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,377 ✭✭✭xtal191

cena wrote: »
    What is the Symbian Anna

Symbian Anna (Or Symbian 2.0) is the long awaited, allegedly much improved update for the Symbian^3 OS.

This will be followed next year by another development 'Symbian Belle'

http://www.gsmarena.com/symbian_handsets_to_start_shipping_with_anna_from_july-news-2803.php

Anna for current users will not be available until august or september yet nokia will ship devices with it
    We nokia S3 users have been shafted AGAIN

as for belle FORGET ABOUT IT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

I have my N8 for about 3 months and I absolutely hate it. It looks decent but it's impossible to navigate. Nothing is natural about the way you move around on it.

I previously owned a iPhone 3 and it is only after you buy a piece of $"£$ like the N8 that you really appreciate how slick the iPhone is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Any specific examples? I find it fine to navigate around. Did you set up your homescreens properly, it makes it very.quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Over the last 3 or 4 days I've noticed battery life has been halved under the same conditions. I thought it was a 3g issue or a hung app but I've switched3g off and restarted the phone several times including long hold. I've downloaded energy profiler and app stop. I think i might try a new battery even though it's only 7 months old and shouldn't need one. Then a factory reset if that fails. Battery time went from full day under heavy usage to half day under moderate usage of same apps and browser.
    [Edit]
    [Report!]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭keanooo

Any specific examples? I find it fine to navigate around. Did you set up your homescreens properly, it makes it very.quick.

They are difficult to explain. Navigating around with text messages etc. is tiresome.

One minor specific one: I cannot find the back button (to go to the previously viewed webpage) when on the web. Is there one?

Advertisement