Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Yeah, the current browser is pretty sucky.

So, where's the back button? Tap the double-headed arrow on bottom right, the (left hand) "Options" and (right hand) "Stop/Back/Close" buttons will appear. Which one you see depends on the browser's state.

The forthcoming Anna browser fixes this by giving you an always-present "back" button. Yaay. Actually, apart from the much better UI, the browser in Anna is much improved in a lot of ways (not least in having better CSS support, better Javascript and a wider set of fonts pre-installed). It's still behind the competition, but no longer vastly behind.

In short, Get Opera Mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Any one else have trouble deleting apps? Few i've tried keeps sayin uninstallation failed! Tried deletin them by installing updates of some apps but just end up with two of the same apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

KrisW wrote: »
    Yeah, the current browser is pretty sucky.

So, where's the back button? Tap the double-headed arrow on bottom right, the (left hand) "Options" and (right hand) "Stop/Back/Close" buttons will appear. Which one you see depends on the browser's state.

The forthcoming Anna browser fixes this by giving you an always-present "back" button. Yaay. Actually, apart from the much better UI, the browser in Anna is much improved in a lot of ways (not least in having better CSS support, better Javascript and a wider set of fonts pre-installed). It's still behind the competition, but no longer vastly behind.

In short, Get Opera Mobile.

Opera mobile is grand but unfortunately most apps still call up the nokia browser even when you've selected opera mini as the default. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyoine buy the silicone cover for the phone. What is it like when putting in your pocket. I have one for the Ipod and find it hard too put in the pocket as It sticks too the pocket and the cover just comes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

cena wrote: »
    Anyoine buy the silicone cover for the phone. What is it like when putting in your pocket. I have one for the Ipod and find it hard too put in the pocket as It sticks too the pocket and the cover just comes off.

Ye its the same. Its great if you are prone to dropping it alot tho so you have to weigh both up.

I changed it for one of the hardcovers CC-3000. They also launched new flashy coloured ones, cc-3002, and cc-3013 check them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

What sort of price are the cc-3000 and where can they be found? I tried the Vodafone shop in Liffey ... they looked at me as if I was daft :rolleyes:
    Davy wrote: »
    I changed it for one of the hardcovers CC-3000. They also launched new flashy coloured ones, cc-3002, and cc-3013 check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Italia wrote: »
    What sort of price are the cc-3000 and where can they be found? I tried the Vodafone shop in Liffey ... they looked at me as if I was daft :rolleyes:

Pixmania have them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Thanks, I saw those a while ago.
    I know its old fashioned, but ...I was hoping for a more retail type of purchase... so I can actually see / touch what I'm buying as opposed to a picture of the item.

Are these covers fairly decent in the amount that they protect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Italia wrote: »
    Thanks, I saw those a while ago.
    I know its old fashioned, but ...I was hoping for a more retail type of purchase... so I can actually see / touch what I'm buying as opposed to a picture of the item.

Are these covers fairly decent in the amount that they protect?
    I have a case-mate cover that I got in either Carphone Warehouse or Phones4U (can't remember which) up North.

https://www.case-mate.com/Nokia-Cases/Case-Mate-Nokia-N8-Barely-There-Case-review.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I've a problem with my N8. I can't setup an account on Ovi. After I type in all my details and agree to their terms and conditions it times out. It says: unable to complete operation, please try again later.

I've googled it and it seems to be a running theme with people and there doesn't seem to be a solution. I've tried a few of the suggestions:

MENU>Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > Options > default connection. And then you will put the "tick" from WAP services to INTERNET.

&

MENU>Settings > Connectivity > Settings > Destinations > WAP services > Options > New Access poin t >Automatically Check for access points? YES >WLAN and then add your WLAN details.

&

1. Select Menu 2. Web 3. Options 4. Settings 5. General 6. Select Access Point 7. Always Ask When Needed

None of these worked. Can anyone help? My phone is pretty much a paper weight at the moment without this. Can't access social networks, apps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is data use in home country automatic? Can you access net using any other apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Feck it - in Ovi Store it told me there was an update for Angry Birds available. Deadly I thought, as it normally adds new levels. But no, it installed the game completely from scratch, losing my entire 8 months of work :mad:

Be careful out there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

It's not available yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've been running a custom Anna f/w for the past fortnight and it's sweet, no problems whatsoever. I think I'll give this Belle a lash now and see how that goes. My only concern is that Opera apparently doesn't work but if the standard browser is much improved I'll just use that, and if not I'll simply downgrade to Anna and wait til Opera is updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

to save me reading the whole thread, should i get this phone?

i mostly use phone for txts,calls,music,bluetooth. so long as theese work fine im happy., obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Whilst yes I would defo recommend this phone having had one a number of months, it's more due to the video / photograph / GPS capabilities, so based on your requirement list surely you'd be happier with a more basic phone with keypad to text?

symbian belle installation
    TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Doing the installation below might void your warranty

Section A
    Download all the necessary files below and BACKUP ALL YOUR FILES via OVI SUITE

a) Phoenix Service Software
    http://www.4shared.com/get/2noUN5lt/Phoenix_Service_Software_20104.html

b)Anna
    http://www.mediafire.com/?kwn3bz7r3apaqjc

c) Belle
    http://www.mediafire.com/?afbzm22og1m78bt

Password : orvvan + mohamad 79

Section B

a) Phoenix Service Software
    Install this software in your computer

b)Anna
    Extract the folder to C/Program Files (x86)/Nokia/Phoenix/Products/RM-596

c) Belle
    Extract this to your computer desktop ( There should be 4 files)

Section C

Step 1 a) Run Phoenix Service Software

Step 2 file>open product>RM-596 Nokia RM 596 and press OK. (Make sure your phone is connected to your PC )

Step 3 On the top left corner of Phoenix, you will see "Connections:" followed by a drop down menu bar. Click the drop down menu and make sure "NO CONNECTION" is selected.

Step 4 Go to Flashing>Firmware Update. Under Product code, click the box on the right side and select one of the variants and press OK.

* If nothing appear try turning off your phone and try again

Step 5
    Check "Dead phone USB flashing"

Step 6
    Click Options > edit and select your desktop files (aka belle files) as below

RM-596_022.014_79.92_prd.core.fpsx > RM-596_111.010.0606_79u_prd.core.fpsx

RM-596_111.010.0606_79u_prd.core.fpsx --> RM-596_111.010.0606_79u_prd.core.fpsx

RM-596_022.014_28.01_Chinese_PRC_79.92_prd.rofs2.fpsx --> RM-596_111.010.0606_13.01_MEA_A_79u_prd.rofs2.fpsx

RM-596_022.014_C01.01_PRC_79.92_prd.rofs3.fpsx --> RM-596_111.010.0606_C04.01_MEA_1_79u_prd.rofs3.fpsx

RM-596_022.014_U02.01_79.92.uda.fpsx --> RM-596_111.010.0606_U07.01_79u.uda.fpsx

Step 7
    IMPORTANT
    Make sure RM596_APE_ONLY_ENO_11w15_v0.148.fpsx and RM-596_M025.44.emmc.fpsx are DELETED.
    Before you flash it should look like this

Step 8
    Click OK and select refurbish

Step 9
    Follow the instructions when you're prompted to from Phoenix.
    Note: If they ask you to hold the power button for 8 seconds, hold it for a little longer (probably for an extra second), till your phone vibrates for a few times.

Step 10
    I do not recommend you to restore your apps/games. Reinstall them manually.

Step 11
    Reformat your memory card and hard reset your phone again using *#7370#

Step 12
    Restore your data and welcome to Symbian BELLE

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Link with picks of Belle up and running on an N8..

Belle N8

If you're updating I think you should have at least Pr1.2 if not Anna already installed. Make sure you have the latest Ovi Suite installed (I have 3.1.1.85) and sync your contacts and pics and so on, and also make a proper backup just in case. Anna is rolling out at the moment but who knows how long the operators will take. Try installing the Nokia Software Updater from Beta Labs as some have said that'll skip the operator wait.

Belle is running pretty well for me so far. Opera isn't working even though I've updated to another version which was apparently supposed to fix it. Overall it looks great and it's far easier to play around with, eg move around folders and arrange widgets and shortcuts. Adobe Reader is miles better and the camera UI is improved.

The only thing annoying me is that the main button doesn't seem to do anything on a short press, only the long press (which brings up the task list) seems to work - I'm not sure if this is the way Belle is meant to be or if it's a bug.

Either way I'm pretty happy and but will be looking forward to trying out a some more customised f/w once the guys get their teeth stuck in. Here's a few screenies of how I have it at the moment..

scr000005.jpg

scr000006.jpg

scr000011.jpg

scr000012.jpg

If you're updating I think you should have at least Pr1.2 if not Anna already installed. Make sure you have the latest Ovi Suite installed (I have 3.1.1.85) and sync your contacts and pics and so on, and also make a proper backup just in case. Anna is rolling out at the moment but who knows how long the operators will take. Try installing the Nokia Software Updater from Beta Labs as some have said that'll skip the operator wait.

Belle is running pretty well for me so far. Opera isn't working even though I've updated to another version which was apparently supposed to fix it. Overall it looks great and it's far easier to play around with, eg move around folders and arrange widgets and shortcuts. Adobe Reader is miles better and the camera UI is improved.

The only thing annoying me is that the main button doesn't seem to do anything on a short press, only the long press (which brings up the task list) seems to work - I'm not sure if this is the way Belle is meant to be or if it's a bug.

Either way I'm pretty happy and but will be looking forward to trying out a some more customised f/w once the guys get their teeth stuck in. Here's a few screenies of how I have it at the moment..

scr000005.jpg

scr000006.jpg

scr000011.jpg

scr000012.jpg

i think you swipe the screen from the bottom up and a task bar appears

which method did you use to update ive seen many and worried as to which actually works as some say they do and some dont:D

how to hack symbian belle

how to hack symbian belle after u flash your phone u already have it

1- instal certupdater without signing it
    2- sign certhack-installer then install it on your phone
    3- then install fileBrowser on the phone memory
    4- then you go to file browser and copy installserver to the memory c/sys/bin btw you should already have copied installserver to your phone then close the fileBrowser
    5- install roompatcher then Restart your phone then u good to go

Link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?10xy79321lc18j4

symbian anna variants

- Bahrain – all variants
    - Belgium – all variants
    - China – all variants, except C7-E7 China Unicom / E7 country variants
    - Czech – all variants, except E7 T-mobile
    - Denmark – all variants, except C7-E7 Telenor / N8 TDC / N8 Telia
    - Egypt – all variants
    - Estonia – all variants
    - Finland – all variants, except C7-N8 DNA / C7 TeliaSonera
    - Germany – all variants, except C7-E7-N8 Tmobile / C7-E7-N8 Vodafone (no Over the Air updates enabled in Germany – OviSuite updates only)
    - Hungary – all variants, except C7-N8-E7 Tmobile / C7-N8-E7 Telenor
    - Iceland – all variants
    - India – all variants
    - Indonesia – all variants
    - Kuwait – all variants
    - Latvia – all variants
    - Lithuania – all variants
    - Malaysia – all variants, except C6-01 country variants / N8 Maxis
    - MiddleEastAfrica – all variants, except South Africa
    - New Zealand – all variants
    - Norway – all variants
    - Oman – all variants
    - Philippines – all variants
    - Poland – all variants, except C7-N8 Play
    - Qatar – all variants
    - Russia – all variants, except N8 MTS
    - Saudi Arabia – all variants
    - Slovakia – all variants, except N8 Tmobile
    - Sweden – all variants
    - Thailand – all variants, except C6-01 country variants
    - United Arabian Emirates – all variants
    - UK – all variants, except C7 Tmobile / N8 Tesco (no Over the Air update enabled in UK – OviSuite updates only)
    - Vietnam – all variants

jimmynokia wrote: »
    i think you swipe the screen from the bottom up and a task bar appears
    which method did you use to update ive seen many and worried as to which actually works as some say they do and some dont:D

I think the home key is just a prob with my install, I'll be redoing it over the weekend with a newer f/w so no matter.

For flashing I used pretty much the method you have listed above from Section C on. Get Phoenix and Navifirm, then download your current PR1.2 firmware product code files with Navifirm if you haven't already, e.g. RM596xxx for UK Dark Grey or whatever, and put them in C:\Program Files\Nokia\Phoenix\Products\RM-596\

Then flash say this Belle fireware (I'm running the 1.2) as per Section C on.

It really is easy, it just sounds worse than it is. Once you have Navifirm and Phoenix installed and your current f/w files downloaded via Navifirm, you can do the actual flashing with Phoenix in just a few minutes.

http://www.gsmarena.com/official_symbian_belle_update_coming_in_two_days_-news-3031.php

belle on the way

Color us surprised! It was only last week that Nokia was done with the i-dotting and t-crossing of the Symbian Anna update and now they are ready to unveil the next Symbian iteration. Called Belle, the next Symbian version will be announced in just a couple of days, when the timer set up on the Nokia Facebook page reaches zero.
    The Finnish company was obviously trying to build up some hype, suggesting that we held our collective breaths as the next big thing in Symbian approaches. However, someone forgot to rename the flash presentation and it was going by "Belle teaser" initially, so there won't be many surprises when the curtain is lifted.
    Of course, Nokia could always surprise us by garnishing the Symbian Belle announcement with a new Symbian handset. There have been plenty of those in the rumor mill recently, but the 1GHz Nokia 700 seems like the most likely candidate if a new handset is to be unveiled on Wednesday.
    Plus, we still don't know when the Belle update will actually be seeded to users so we'd be looking forward to finding that out too. So stay tuned and we'll keep you updated.
    In case you are wondering what Symbian Belle is all about, feel free to check this video of its leaked version in action on a Nokia N8.

http://www.bgr.in/2011/08/22/nokia-n8-receives-camera-update-gets-continuous-af-video-recording-30fps/

Nokia N8 gets a camera update with better UI and video recording

It must feel quite good to be a Nokia N8 owner these days. First, there was the Symbian Anna update, which deals with quite a few of its usability issues and now Nokia brought the news that there's a camera update in the works for their former flagship.
    The Nokia N8 camera update beta has already been released so if you don't mind a few bugs you don't need to wait anymore to get it. Just head to the Nokia Beta Labs website and take it for a spin. A registration is required though and you will need to have an N8 that's already running the Anna update.
    The camera update itself is pretty major bringing a new UI that, according to Nokia, gives you faster access to essential camera controls. The UI was certainly one of the worst parts of the N8 camera and we appreciate Nokia's efforts to finally do something about it.

The other thing that got boosted by the update is video recording. The N8 finally got its video framerate cranked up to 30 fps and the continuous auto-focus features. So far, those were only available through an unofficial mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Jsut wonderign if anyone has any idea when the Meteor version 059D7X4 should get Anna?

Very tempted to have the leaked Belle a try, but I'm afraid of bricking my phone. Anyone tried it?

Advertisement