Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hey, does anyone know whats going on with the meteor nokia n9 anna update, when I try to dial *#1000# I get request not completed. I was able to check for updates till today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hey, does anyone know whats going on with the meteor nokia n9 anna update, when I try to dial *#1000# I get request not completed. I was able to check for updates till today

the N9 is not availalbe yet and certainly wont be on meteor

jimmynokia wrote: »
    the N9 is not availalbe yet and certainly wont be on meteor

yea, sorry, I meant to say nokia n8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

yea, sorry, I meant to say nokia n8

there is many issues with this anna update]
    ive posted some links have a look on the last to pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

jimmy_t wrote: »
    I presume you're using touch.boards.ie? I find it better than m.boards
    Thanks wasn't actually aware of that. Very impressive compared to mobile version, although I find it slow enough to load. It also lacks a link at the bottom of each page to bring you back to the main forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Yup, it is possible to flash network locked phones to the latest firmware. You could use navifirm to select the correct RM release and product code you require and then use phoenix to flash the phone. Your phone will still be locked to meteor if your successful in flashing the handset.

My E5 is less than 1week old (already have it unlocked) but loading firmware other than what is specific to my product code is proving elusive! :(

Success!!! Managed to upgrade the firmware from the custom Three Uk (product code 059c311) to the generic uk version from Nokia (product code 059C209).

Went from s/w version 042.014 to 071.003. Solution was to use a later version of phoenix (2010.48.004.44602) in order to flash the phone.

Flashing started
    Creating product data items list
    Product data items list created
    Backup not required
    Flashing phone
    Initializing
    Verifying communication to device...
    Scanning image files...
    Loading secondary boot code: 15168 bytes
    Secondary boot loaded
    Loading update server code: 825059 bytes
    Update server loaded
    Partitioning....
    Partitioning complete
    Erasing....
    Erasing complete
    Asic CMT: Start programming 197539 KB...
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 0%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 10%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 20%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 30%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 40%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 50%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 60%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 70%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 80%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 90%
    Asic CMT: Programming data sent: 100%
    Programming complete
    WARNING:  Asic CMT: NAND status reported bad blocks
    Asic CMT: programming succeeded
    Asic CMT: Verifying communication to device...
    Phone flashing completed. Waiting for phone to boot up
    Bootup successful
    Verifying communication to product (before flash finalizing) 
    Communication verified
    Product code changed
    Doing factorysets
    Factorysets complete
    Loading default data to phone
    Loading default data to phone
    Getting Data Package
    Reading product state
    Starting backup/restore sub-procedure: data item pre-delay
    data item pre-delay
    data item pre-delay
    Sub-procedure completed: Succeeded., result code: 0
    Starting to backup/restore data item: ProductProfile, version: 1.1
    Data Item backup/restore completed: Succeeded., result code: 0
    Starting backup/restore sub-procedure: data item post-delay
    data item post-delay
    data item post-delay
    Sub-procedure completed: Succeeded., result code: 0
    Backup/restore result: 0 out of 1 items were not backed up
    Default data loading complete
    Stopping all operations, returning phone to default mode
    All operations completed
    Firmware updating succeeded.

1st impressions is that the phone is a lot more responsive (due to the lack of bloatware from the mobile operator im guessing) also a number of issues that i noticed have been resolved in the latest firmware update (i.e. a restart when the phone code feature is enabled on boot.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Have an N8 and I really like the phone. Unfortunately it's letting me down badly. My first N8 bricked on me. Did some research before bringing it back to Vodafone for repair and found that it was a known issue with Nokia since last November. Vodafone sent it away, report said hardware replaced and had it sent back but a month later it died again. Vodafone sent the phone away a second time and report said software fault. Got the phone back and 2 weeks later it died again. Vodafone sent the phone for the third time and requested a new handset for me.
    I got a brand new N8 which didn't die on me but in the space of 10 days kept resetting itself 10-30 times a day. I tried to live with it but it just became too annoying.
    I brought the phone back and will have to go through the same 3 fault process again unless Vodafone can convince the crowd to send me a brand new phone straight away.
    Vodafone have told me that they've stopped selling the N8 because they've been getting too many complaints about it.
    It's really frustrating as I like the phone and want it to work. Reading the thread there are obviously N8's out there that do work so hopefully the next one I receive will be ok.
    Have many people come across this resetting issue?

This post has been deleted.

Thanks thats what I was doing wrong. Any idea when meteor will roll out the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

KrisW wrote: »
    P1.2 was offered to the networks as an "optional" release - they could take it or not. The main purpose of 1.2 was to fix some bugs with Microsoft Exchange and email, and maybe Meteor didn't believe that many of their users needed better MS Exchange support...

That was nice of Meteor to make such a decision on behalf of their customers...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I've upgraded and I can't find out how to reload/refresh a webpage - in the old browser there was an options button where you picked "webpage - reload" etc - now I only have a back button and the options button just gives things like save bookmark etc..

where is webpage options and switch window etc? thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

touch the very top of the screen to bring up the reload symbol(beside the address bar). Window options(including switch window and new window) is on the extreme left side of the second row of options when you bring up that panel, by touching the icon on the bottom right of this screen. Hope this makes sense. Don't think Nokia would hire me to write an instruction manual;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

where is webpage options and switch window etc? thanks.

When you press the bottom right button, the Switch Windows function is the first icon on the second row, labelled "Windows"

Webpage options: select "Settings" icon (last row, first icon) then "Page"

touch the very top of the screen to bring up the reload symbol(beside the address bar). Window options(including switch window and new window) is on the extreme left side of the second row of options when you bring up that panel, by touching the icon on the bottom right of this screen. Hope this makes sense. Don't think Nokia would hire me to write an instruction manual;)

made perfect sense thanks! Not convinced I like the new browser yet though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

I have a problem with my N8 making calls when I'm already on a call. I can't figure out how it's doing it. I lock the phone using the slide switch as soon as it starts dialling the call I want to make, but it still manages to access the menu and ring people. It's not even the first names in my phonebook, but totally random ones, from anywhere in the book. Not even people I'd regularly call or have recently called. I've put on a keylock that activates after 1 minute, and needs a code to unlock, but it's still happening in the middle of calls.

It hangs up on calls a lot too, but at least I can just call back. Ringing random people/colleagues can be embarrassing when it happens at 11:30 at night! I've tried googling and can't find anything on this - does it happen anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭cena

made perfect sense thanks! Not convinced I like the new browser yet though!

Where has the google search gone. I don't like the new browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Are you using headphones? Could be a faulty connection on the switch that is activating voice dialling, or even a faulty Menu button on the phone itself causing the same problem?

Hold down the power button for about 8 seconds. to do a soft reset and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

E.T. wrote: »
    I have a problem with my N8 making calls when I'm already on a call. I can't figure out how it's doing it. I lock the phone using the slide switch as soon as it starts dialling the call I want to make,

You don't need to do that, their is a sensor that will automatically disable the screen when held to your ear, but always the chance that the proximity sensor could be faulty.

cena wrote: »
    Where has the google search gone. I don't like the new browser

Its built into the main URL bar. So as soon as you type something that you haven't visited before, it gives you the option to search rather than going direct to the URL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

E.T. wrote: »
    I have a problem with my N8 making calls when I'm already on a call. I can't figure out how it's doing it. I lock the phone using the slide switch as soon as it starts dialling the call I want to make, but it still manages to access the menu and ring people. It's not even the first names in my phonebook, but totally random ones, from anywhere in the book. Not even people I'd regularly call or have recently called. I've put on a keylock that activates after 1 minute, and needs a code to unlock, but it's still happening in the middle of calls.

It hangs up on calls a lot too, but at least I can just call back. Ringing random people/colleagues can be embarrassing when it happens at 11:30 at night! I've tried googling and can't find anything on this - does it happen anyone else?

It's definitely voice dialling, happens to me sometimes as well. I'm not even fully sure how it works but I think if you hold down the call button in the bottom right it starts the voice dialling sequence. Based on whoever's name it thinks you're saying at the time it will dial that number in your phonebook. Could you accidentally have your thumb over the call button when you're on the phone? Try disabling voice dialling (again I'm not sure how exactly but there must be a way) and see if it happens again.

Have you ever noticed a progress bar come up just before it happens? Like the loading bar that fills slowly as you're installing something.

• Advertisement

Battery life has decreased since the update. It never used to be a problem, but have noticed it considerable worse the past few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ah it's terrible! I've had issues with connection to the internet for no reason countless times, no matter what settings I have it on so that's draining the battery a lot!!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah it's terrible! I've had issues with connection to the internet for no reason countless times

Getting errors or whats happening?

I have mine connected all day, but never have a problem, switches to edge from 3G etc and never noticed a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Miap

battery life definitely decreased and also the predictive text problem that used happen in social app is now happening in normal texts so annoying

Davy wrote: »
    Getting errors or whats happening?

I have mine connected all day, but never have a problem, switches to edge from 3G etc and never noticed a problem
    No, just constantly connecting when it shouldn't be! No apps running, e-mailing isn't synching, widgets offline and will just keep connecting!

No, just constantly connecting when it shouldn't be! No apps running, e-mailing isn't synching, widgets offline and will just keep connecting!

Have you mail for exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

are you usin social appp? cos that is know to drain the bat,you
    need to log out of it.not just close it.

also 3g.5 is a killer on the battery in the anna update.
    from what i have read online.

ps,thanks to jimmynokia for posting the link to
    the problems of anna.

Nope! Like I said, nothing running! Not a greenhorn when it comes to this Davy!

Nope! Like I said, nothing running! Not a greenhorn when it comes to this Davy!

Their has to be something though, the reason I asked was because sometimes people forgot about the calender and contacts syncing

• Advertisement

is it easy to go back to previous firmware? This new one is simply annoying with big icons, seems to be actually slower, fm transmitter vanished, camera slower to activate etc etc etc

And an installation of "Documents to go" has vanished.

And I prefer the OLD browser!

Anyone?

Advertisement