Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

is it easy to go back to previous firmware? This new one is simply annoying with big icons, seems to be actually slower, fm transmitter vanished, camera slower to activate etc etc etc

And an installation of "Documents to go" has vanished.

And I prefer the OLD browser!

Anyone?

The FM transmitter has been removed, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I can confirm that battery life now sucks more than my hoover :rolleyes:
    I used to be able to get 2 full days with 3.5G. Now, after the update,I'm struggling to get 1.5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

rickyjb wrote: »
    The FM transmitter has been removed, seriously?
    No it hasn't, it's just been renamed as 'Play via Radio' for some reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

kmart6 wrote: »
    No it hasn't, it's just been renamed as 'Play via Radio' for some reason!

yes, indeed. Under the "music" menu.

Anyone on a solution for downgrading back to the last firmware (or upgrading to the last firmware in my opinion ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Podge i dont have an N8 myself, I have a nokia X6 which i regularly flash with custom firmware, and everything i've read has suggested that not only is it not possible to downgrade the firmware, but that it is even inadvisable to attempt it.

apparently it can brick your phone, leaving you with a €400 paperweight. i have seen some anecdotal stories where people have attempted to downgrade their nokias firmware, only for it not to work, and then what happens is when they connect it back up via USB, the phone is not recognised at all, so cannot be re-flashed back to square one with the firmware that was on it before the attempted downgrade. as i said, only a small few have reported that they were lucky enough that the phone was again recognised, enabling them to re-flash the phone.

tl;dr: for the love of god dont even consider it, just wait for a newer update! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

There's the same risk involved with flashing it with custom firmware as there is with downgrading really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Updated my N8 yesterday to Symbian Anna v022.014 - now the phone constantly connects and disconnects from my car. Any ideas?

I've already restarted the phone, restarted the bluetooth service. Deleted the pairing from the car & phone and re-paired. No luck - doing my nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

ciarsd wrote: »
    Updated my N8 yesterday to Symbian Anna v022.014 - now the phone constantly connects and disconnects from my car. Any ideas?

I've already restarted the phone, restarted the bluetooth service. Deleted the pairing from the car & phone and re-paired. No luck - doing my nut.

Haven't any problems with bluetooth on mine in the car or with other headsets since the update. It might be just a coincidence. You should check another phone in car and see does it still happen to make sure it is the phone rather than the car.

Davy wrote: »
    Haven't any problems with bluetooth on mine in the car or with other headsets since the update. It might be just a coincidence. You should check another phone in car and see does it still happen to make sure it is the phone rather than the car.

Thanks Davy, its working fine with my work phone! What I seem to get is the small headphone icon popping up in the top right corner then disappearing when the connection drops. Really trying to like my N8, but its been hassle since I picked it up in March :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks Davy, its working fine with my work phone! What I seem to get is the small headphone icon popping up in the top right corner then disappearing when the connection drops. Really trying to like my N8, but its been hassle since I picked it up in March :o

Are you connecting it to a built in carkit?

You should delete the pairing, and then search for it under all devices rather than 'audio' etc. It seems to me it thinks its a headset rather than a carkit, because you wont get that notification symbol otherwise, and that might be causing the problem.

When you look at 'paired devices' under the bluetooth setting on the phone, it should have a car symbol on the left hand side beside the saved name.

• Advertisement

Davy wrote: »
    Are you connecting it to a built in carkit?

You should delete the pairing, and then search for it under all devices rather than 'audio' etc. It seems to me it thinks its a headset rather than a carkit, because you wont get that notification symbol otherwise, and that might be causing the problem.

When you look at 'paired devices' under the bluetooth setting on the phone, it should have a car symbol on the left hand side beside the saved name.

Yeah, factory setup. When I repaired it, I done so under an 'all devices' search. I'm now reinstalling the OS onto the phone, see if it sorts it. No car symbol on the pairing however? It's a speaker by the looks of it at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Funny someone should mention the carkit problem. Just last week I moved to anothe rcompany car I think pretty much the same day I upgraded. Since then the handfree disconnects a fair bit. I was pretty certain til now that the Parrot kit was just old/dodgy. but now I'm wondering if it's linked to the phone. I find it randomly disconnects and was taking reset of the phone to reconnect, then I discovered if I just answered the call via the phone then within abouut 15 seconds it would reconnect to kit and the problem went away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth

Is "Remote SIM mode" on? Set it to "off" - SIM Access Profile ("Remote SIM mode") is not well implemented in car kits, and what you described is one of the symptoms (kit goes to headset mode, then tries phone, then tries SAP, then fails, but doesn't fall back to phone pairing so it starts again)

Also, check if your car-kit firmware is up-to-date. Anna may be exposing a bug in your car-kit. If it's a manufacturer one, the dealer can do it in 10-15 mins, and it should be free.

KrisW wrote: »

Is "Remote SIM mode" on? Set it to "off" - SIM Access Profile ("Remote SIM mode") is not well implemented in car kits, and what you described is one of the symptoms (kit goes to headset mode, then tries phone, then tries SAP, then fails, but doesn't fall back to phone pairing so it starts again)

Also, check if your car-kit firmware is up-to-date. Anna may be exposing a bug in your car-kit. If it's a manufacturer one, the dealer can do it in 10-15 mins, and it should be free.

Will give this a try later this morning when I'm at the car. The trouble has only started since the Symbian Anna update, but I'll change the remote sim setting and see how it behaves - gotta be worth a try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

when i do software update on my n8 it says do it thru pc by using a link thats not available anymore.

Any help ??

cheers

Will give this a try later this morning when I'm at the car. The trouble has only started since the Symbian Anna update, but I'll change the remote sim setting and see how it behaves - gotta be worth a try!

No luck with that either. Back to the drawing board. Can I revert back to pre Symbian Anna update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

JonnyM wrote: »
    when i do software update on my n8 it says do it thru pc by using a link thats not available anymore.

Any help ??

cheers
    install ovi suite.
    and install thru it,first time you hook up your n8 it will
    take at least 10 mins to install drivers for it.
    just go do someting else come back,and it will show you the updates.
    :)
    their is no ota updates for anna in ireland,must be done thru pc

No luck with that either. Back to the drawing board. Can I revert back to pre Symbian Anna update?

You can, but it's not easy.

What kind of car kit is it, and have you checked if there is a firmware update for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

deco nate wrote: »
    install ovi suite.

Or Nokia Software Updater. I found this worked better for me when installing Anna on my N8.

You can, but it's not easy.

What kind of car kit is it, and have you checked if there is a firmware update for that?

Thanks Kris, its the integrated one that comes from factory - its not an aftermarket parrot or anything.
    Wouldn't mind, it worked perfectly well upto the Anna update. I had the car serviced today and there was no updates for the system. Its working perfect with my company phone, but not my personal phone. Typical!

• Advertisement

Hi - a quick search on Nokia's support site shows you're not alone. Opel models in particular don't seem to like the Symbian Anna update.

Nokia discussions topic

Hi - a quick search on Nokia's support site shows you're not alone. Opel models in particular don't seem to like the Symbian Anna update.

Nokia discussions topic

Thanks for that, just signed up. Hopefully they'll take some feedback onboard and implement a patch for Anna! Until then, useless phone for the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Upgraded to Anna and lost the built in Gmail application - can't find this in the Ovi store - any ideas on how to reinstall this app? Thanks.

edit - ignore thanks, realised you download it directly from google.

Mail sent to Nokia Care - will post up the reply when I receive it for anyone else having BT issues post Anna update!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I've had the N8 since March and really like it, well at least I did until I installed the latest stupid software upgrade! grrrrr, I'm learnng to live with the changes but one that really bugs me is the white letters on a black background when texting, is there any way for me to change this back to black lettering on a white background? I've had a look tru various menus on the phone but can't find how to do this.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

We heard you the first time...;)

My phone has always had white text on a black background when you're writing a text message, you must've changed it when you first got your phone and forgotten. Try installing a different theme maybe, I'm sure google would have some suggestions also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Having probs with Eircom broadband too, hung up a few times yesterday hence the repeated post.
    Hopefully somebody here has an answer to my question. (and no, I didn't change it when I got it first and have forgotten).

Andrew, there are plenty of themes available for N8. I'm sure you could find one that uses black on white text.

I don't think any of the original themes were black-on-white, though: maybe yours was an operator's special?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Advertisement

Mail sent to Nokia Care - will post up the reply when I receive it for anyone else having BT issues post Anna update!

Still in contact with Nokia. Had a call from the R&D team late last Thursday evening - currently under investigation as its now popping up on other sections of Nokia's support forums.

Advertisement