Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I have the N8 about 5 months now and like the build quality of it along with ovi maps&music player,For web browsing and facebook apps it's crap compared to the Iphone4 mine also keeps turning off by it self and freezing:( also on the iphone you can zoom in more on a page than the N8.
    If Nokia could get there web browsing as slick as apple they would be on to a winner btw while web browsing on both phones there connected to my wifi at home,And the phone is using symbian anna 024.001 I lost my iphone over the weekend and I'm lost without it for going on the web nokia are going to have to come up with some thing really good before my next up grade.

For browsing , may I suggest you install "Opera", which is a good browser. The Nokia/Ovi store should have it.

As for the random freezing, do you have a number of games pre-installed by the supplying phone company? I would suggest that, if you don't need them, delete them. You could re-install them on the mass memory, rather than the core memory.

My N8 was extremely prone to random restarts, but clearing out the "bloatware" made the phone rock solid stable.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your iphone - they are a very well designed device, and a delight to use.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

I have the N8 about 5 months now and like the build quality of it along with ovi maps&music player,For web browsing and facebook apps it's crap compared to the Iphone4 mine also keeps turning off by it self and freezing:( also on the iphone you can zoom in more on a page than the N8.
    If Nokia could get there web browsing as slick as apple they would be on to a winner btw while web browsing on both phones there connected to my wifi at home,And the phone is using symbian anna 024.001 I lost my iphone over the weekend and I'm lost without it for going on the web nokia are going to have to come up with some thing really good before my next up grade.

For browsing , may I suggest you install "Opera", which is a good browser. The Nokia/Ovi store should have it.

As for the random freezing, do you have a number of games pre-installed by the supplying phone company? I would suggest that, if you don't need them, delete them. You could re-install them on the mass memory, rather than the core memory.

My N8 was extremely prone to random restarts, but clearing out the "bloatware" made the phone rock solid stable.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your iphone - they are a very well designed device, and a delight to use.

Best of luck.
    maybe this might help the web browser issue just announced http://t.co/dJMcMvZZ

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

hi how yas,,,, my htc desire died and now i have an n8
    all my contacts vwhere in google on android and i have none on sim :( what can i do :( no contacts

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Symbian Anna is now Available for Meteor branded N8's with product code 059D7X4.

Just open Nokia Software Updater, or OVI Suite and you'll be promped to update.

The update is not available OTA(over the air) and is 271 MB.

Good to see that Meteor have finally approved it, it was a very long wait.
    does anyone know where can I get the update. When I open the ovi store I don't get a prompt or when I dial #0000# it says there is no update available

Symbian Anna is now Available for Meteor branded N8's with product code 059D7X4.

does anyone know where can I get the update. When I open the ovi store I don't get a prompt or when I dial #0000# it says there is no update available
    there must not be one for your product code so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

jimmynokia wrote: »

there must not be one for your product code so
    you don't use the Store to get software updates; you have to use either Nokia Ovi Suite or Nokia software updater on your PC.
    Meteor is one of the operators that do not support the over-the-air (OTA) firmware upgrade service, which is what you're attempting when you do *#0000# or run the 'software update' application on the phone; hooking your phone up to a PC is the surest way. Nokia Software Updater seems to be more successful in finding updates than ovi suite, so try that. More details on getting these on this page.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

KrisW wrote: »
    you don't use the Store to get software updates; you have to use either Nokia Ovi Suite or Nokia software updater on your PC.
    Meteor is one of the operators that do not support the over-the-air (OTA) firmware upgrade service, which is what you're attempting when you do *#0000# or run the 'software update' application on the phone; hooking your phone up to a PC is the surest way. Nokia Software Updater seems to be more successful in finding updates than ovi suite, so try that. More details on getting these on this page.

ah cheers lads. I updated it with the ovi suite on the laptop. Just having a mess with it now, Its ugly as sin, but the qwerty landscape keypad, thank fuk, messaging is a breeze now with swype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Updated my N8 a couple of days and have to say it's running like a dream. User interface is much quicker, office is far better to use etc. Quite happy with it now! Lets hope Belle is released by christmas for meteor users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

Well I got the phone working. I formatted it. all working now. Nice too have it backed up on a few things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

mono_mac wrote: »
    hi how yas,,,, my htc desire died and now i have an n8
    all my contacts vwhere in google on android and i have none on sim :( what can i do :( no contacts

Here are your contacts: http://www.google.com/contacts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Has anyone else installed the new store client from beta labs. It's a major improvement from ovi store. Very fluid and quick. What you'd hope Belle will be like. I had to instal twice to get it working properly. Definitely worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

It's very like the N9 Store client. Much slicker than the existing one, and (most important) the buy/install/launch flow feels much more solid - you don't have any doubt about what's happening, the way you used to with the old client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

is there anyway of moving music videos to the music player on the N8??

do you want the video or just the song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Downloaded the update last night, looks promising enough, a bit quicker than it was and it hasn't frozen yet which is good going:rolleyes:
    Does anyone know if there's a way to use swype in portrait mode? That would be handy...
    Also is it worth using the new browser or is opera still better?
    Edit: Should I be using opera mini or opera mobile? Just read a confusing article there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

rickyjb wrote: »
    Downloaded the update last night, looks promising enough, a bit quicker than it was and it hasn't frozen yet which is good going:rolleyes:
    Does anyone know if there's a way to use swype in portrait mode? That would be handy...
    Also is it worth using the new browser or is opera still better?
    Edit: Should I be using opera mini or opera mobile? Just read a confusing article there.

To use swype in portrait mode you'll have to download the 2.0 beta on betalabs.nokia.com.
    Opera is still better in my opinion, though the new browser is an improvement.
    I use opera mobile, haven't used opera mini on my C7 so can't tell you what it's like.

dr ro wrote: »
    do you want the video or just the song?

just the song...

If you google "you tube to mp3"you'll get a result which allows you to copy and paste URL from YouTube to this converter site without downloading any software to your computer. You then click convert which takes between 3 secs and 2 mins to convert, then download to your computer. Then in ovi music player, when your phone is connected, you can copy the song to your device. Have you used ovi to transfer music before?

are there any good apps for cinema times---also is it posssible to change bookmark icons on main screen , so i know which is which

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

are there any good apps for cinema times---also is it posssible to change bookmark icons on main screen , so i know which is which

http://store.ovi.com/content/43299

• Advertisement

give this a try

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Nseries-and-S60-Smartphones/BBC-iPlayer-Widget/m-p/962013/highlight/true#M259272

or use opera mini

cheers dude

If you google "you tube to mp3"you'll get a result which allows you to copy and paste URL from YouTube to this converter site without downloading any software to your computer. You then click convert which takes between 3 secs and 2 mins to convert, then download to your computer. Then in ovi music player, when your phone is connected, you can copy the song to your device. Have you used ovi to transfer music before?
    no havent used ovi to transfer music but have used the youtube to mp3 converter before and downloaded music straight to my itunes library.

JonnyM wrote: »
    no havent used ovi to transfer music but have used the youtube to mp3 converter before and downloaded music straight to my itunes library.
    If you connect your phone to computer, open ovi music player, click file, import, select location to import from then file to import. Select. When transfer's complete select it from ovi music player library right click, send to n8. Done.

can anyone tell me how to reduce the ram on my n8 as the day goes on.if I restart the phone the ram will clock at around 50%. As I use apps it increases obviously. But if I close all apps and clear the cache of browser, with no apps open it clocks at around 75%. How do I get it back down without restarting. Is it even necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

can anyone tell me how to reduce the ram on my n8 as the day goes on.if I restart the phone the ram will clock at around 50%. As I use apps it increases obviously. But if I close all apps and clear the cache of browser, with no apps open it clocks at around 75%. How do I get it back down without restarting. Is it even necessary.

I've not noticed how much ram is being used - how do you tell? I reboot mine rarely, usually after installing new apps and mucking about with it.

But, a possible answer is an app I use to play the internet radio as an alarm clock - it's called "plan task", and it can restart the phone at a set time. Perhaps you could get the phone to reset at a convenient time when you don't need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

This morning I was presented with a firmware update to v25.007 for my N8.
    I installed it, but haven't seen any difference except that my Internet Radio app no longer works. There do not seem to be any realease notes either

Anyone have any idea what this update does?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

From the reports that I saw yesterday it's only to fix some bugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Well, at 267Mb download that must be some major bug fix......
    kmart6 wrote: »
    From the reports that I saw yesterday it's only to fix some bugs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

If it was such a major fix all of the tech/Nokia blogs would have picked up on it at this stage!

Advertisement