Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I was being sarcastic, but that is exactly my point.
    If it was such a major update, why isn't there more info on the blogs?
    I did do some googling before I posted and even the usual haunts had little or nothing on this. Some wild speculation that it is a precursor/ preparatory update for Symbian Belle, but nothing concrete.

Fact remains that when I updated, it came down at a whopping 267Mb (it actually downloaded all 267mb according to my d/l meter). So unless this was a full reload of Symbian Anna with 025.007 integrated, I can't see it being just a simple bug-fix. Given that I haven't noticed anything different other than my Internet Radio app no longer working, I would tend to go with the full Anna reload option, but I've no certainty on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Anna_V25-500x167.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Italia wrote: »
    Fact remains that when I updated, it came down at a whopping 267Mb (it actually downloaded all 267mb according to my d/l meter). So unless this was a full reload of Symbian Anna with 025.007 integrated, I can't see it being just a simple bug-fix. Given that I haven't noticed anything different other than my Internet Radio app no longer working, I would tend to go with the full Anna reload option, but I've no certainty on this.

The update is a complete new copy of the OS, and not the set of differences between the 22.x and 25.x versions. 267 Mb is about right for the system and all the preinstalled apps.

Btw, there's also an application update to follow this release; this may fix your Internet Radio app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I hooked hte N8 to the pc last night - all I got in terms of updates was a "service pack", not very big.

I can't say if it has made any difference - mind you, I was happy enough with the phone beforehand.

Full credit to Nokia for continuing to update the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Should be Belle soon. Wonder if that'll be the last upgrade. Just got the service pack update this evening.

• Advertisement

What will belle offer that anna doesn't? Actually, what did Anna do, that the previous s^3 didn't do, aside from being easier to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

dr ro wrote: »
    Should be Belle soon. Wonder if that'll be the last upgrade. Just got the service pack update this evening.

it will be the end of the year when we see belle,thats for sim free models,then its the networks holding people back after that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

zinzan wrote: »
    Would like to see anna and belle side by side on the same hardware to see what the performance difference is...

Likewise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Does anyone know if it's possible (or economically viable) to replace the screen? *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

rickyjb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible (or economically viable) to replace the screen? *sigh*

google reveals:

N8 screen replacement

ebay reveals:

N8 screens on ebay

and an online calculator to help you do the numbers!

calculator

:)

zinzan wrote: »
    google reveals:

N8 screen replacement

ebay reveals:

N8 screens on ebay

and an online calculator to help you do the numbers!

calculator

:)

Ah, thanks... I was more looking for someone who had some direct experience of doing it, for example my phone still works fine it's just the glass is smashed to bits, is it possible to replace the glass without replacing the screen?

Is a digitiser what I need? If so does anyone have any experience of this, I don't mind giving it a go myself.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

A word of warning,i broke the glass on mine and bought a new one from ebay.I had no problem getting the outside screws off but no way could i get the internal screws open and ended up breaking the phone.

ofcork wrote: »
    A word of warning,i broke the glass on mine and bought a new one from ebay.I had no problem getting the outside screws off but no way could i get the internal screws open and ended up breaking the phone.

Thanks for the warning. When you say you bought a new one on ebay what exactly did you buy? Was it an OEM part or does it matter?

I think it was an oem alright as it had the nokia branding,good luck with it i ended switching to android,meant to say i bought the glass and housing that it is encased in.

You bought something like this is it? http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-ORIGINAL-NOKIA-TOUCHSCREEN-DIGITIZER/dp/B005A7NFGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320244838&sr=8-1

I'll probably give it a go myself, I thought it'd be much more expensive I'm happy enough paying 30 quid.

Were you using a guide/video or did you just try and install it without any help? I'm assuming if I'm careful I'll manage it without causing further damage to my phone.

Yeah it was similar to that,i used the video on youtube as a guide but he had no problem opening the screws.

symbian belle on its way

http://t.co/GYnKHPXF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

holy smokes! Do you think we`ll have it this month?

• Advertisement

jimmy_t wrote: »
    holy smokes! Do you think we`ll have it this month?

Doubt it!
    Seems like a similar story the phones that had anna first then the rest to follow im trying to find out more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

ya I wonder if we'll get it before xmas. I'd say 4 weeks is the minimum wait.

jimmy_t wrote: »
    ya I wonder if we'll get it before xmas. I'd say 4 weeks is the minimum wait.

turns out its a mistake by nokia

Post removed
    Sent: 12-Nov-2011 08:44 PM

Hi Jimmy,

We have removed your post concerning the mistake in the SIngapore website, just so that it does not cause confusion to our members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Italia wrote: »
    This morning I was presented with a firmware update to v25.007 for my N8.
    I installed it, but haven't seen any difference except that my Internet Radio app no longer works. There do not seem to be any realease notes either

Anyone have any idea what this update does?
    Weird, my phone only prompted this update yesterday! I'm on Vodafone and don't think it's network locked so have no idea why it took so long! Scrolling through contacts and calls has changed in that if you touch anywhere on the right of the screen you can quickly do a "page up" or "page down" - I like that!

carla and donna after belle?
    http://t.co/MT5wE9K4

just been offered and am downloading software version 25.007. anyone else got it notice a difference? been debating flashing belle on to it but might wait a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

youtube doesn't seem to work on my phone that well. its really slow. also can't watch in hd.

Anyone else have this problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have deciced to give up on Nokia after been with them for over 14yrs the N8 will be the last handset I will ever own,The android/Iphone have over taking them the firmware on the nokia is unstable(keeps powering on/off) the FB app is a joke compared to the ones on android etc,and the headphones are really flimsy as I have gone through 2 sets all ready on the N8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

I have deciced to give up on Nokia after been with them for over 14yrs the N8 will be the last handset I will ever own,The android/Iphone have over taking them the firmware on the nokia is unstable(keeps powering on/off) the FB app is a joke compared to the ones on android etc,and the headphones are really flimsy as I have gone through 2 sets all ready on the N8.

Have to agree with you there on the firmware being rubbish but nobody can put a phone together like NOKIA their just streets ahead of the rest from a hardware point of view

• Advertisement

Waiting for belle release before writing them off myself. Hardware still tying me to them.

Advertisement