Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

dr ro wrote: »
    Waiting for belle release before writing them off myself. Hardware still tying me to them.
    Should be in the next few days for unlocked devices...good luck if your phone is locked to a network....god knows when you'll get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Im the same the N8 is my last Nokia which is pity cause phone is nice just crappy software and yes the Facebook app is the worst ever!! Blackberry for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

DonFred wrote: »
    Im the same the N8 is my last Nokia which is pity cause phone is nice just crappy software and yes the Facebook app is the worst ever!! Blackberry for me.

Are using the nokia social method, or the standalone app version v2.51?

The latter is a lot better since the last update imo

What standalone app are you talking about Davy?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    What standalone app are you talking about Davy?!

Its just called Facebook. If you browse the facebook site using the browser you should get a yellow banner at the bottom of the page to prompt you to download the app. It might be in nokia store also, 'facebook for nokia' I think.

• Advertisement

Is that not just the mobile browser!? Just basically acts as a shortcut?!

Is that not just the mobile browser!? Just basically acts as a shortcut?!

No not the one im talking about. It might not be in the nokia store im not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

fMobi is also excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Davy wrote: »
    No not the one im talking about. It might not be in the nokia store im not sure.

That one used to be 'Snaptu' until Facebook bought the company to use it to put a Facebook app on all mobiles.. it's pretty good, but Snaptu also had twitter functionality and more which has been removed now:(

fMobi is also excellent.

Yeah use this now myself...best one out there!
    zinzan wrote: »
    That one used to be 'Snaptu' until Facebook bought the company to use it to put a Facebook app on all mobiles.. it's pretty good, but Snaptu also had twitter functionality and more which has been removed now:(

Used to love Snaptu...purely cause it had two good twitter and Facebook clients, also had section for the Guardian which was great for sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

Should be in the next few days for unlocked devices...good luck if your phone is locked to a network....god knows when you'll get it!
    Any idea when?

Well it went up on Navifirm during the week so usually a week or two after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

It looks like Belle is now expected in Q1 2012.

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/12/08/symbian-belle-confirmed-for-early-next-year-no-more-q4-2011/

Bad: I would like to have it now!

Good: They are still working on it, and making sure the bugs are minimised.

Mind you, now that I've wiped all the carrier inflicted bloatware, the phone is very stable, and I have to say that I'm very pleased with Anna, it's a good, no nonsense phone! And I still think the camera is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

Camera is still the best out there over a year on. It's been suggested elsewhere that it's not being released till next year in the hopes customers will get sick of waiting and go for wp7 phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I'd be tempted, in a years time, if the N8 was falling apart, but unless the new phone had a significant advantage over the N8 I think I'll stick.

It's gone beyond a joke at this stage!!!

I'm after putting the latest CFW of Belle on my phone now...third version I've put on it!

I'd recommend it to anyone...it's really easy and will give you a new phone!!!

It's gone beyond a joke at this stage!!!

I'm after putting the latest CFW of Belle on my phone now...third version I've put on it!

I'd recommend it to anyone...it's really easy and will give you a new phone!!!

could you post a link to the walk through please. I'm sick of waiting too.

You'll find all the files you need here and a guide on how to do it

Need to download Phoenix separately though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Can you restore your phone back to stock Anna if you need to?

Yes!

• Advertisement

Great thank you. I'll give it a go. Do all your apps still work and can you still download from store and beta labs

If you look on the blog it lists apps that there's issues with!

Might have to install Qt Store from Beta Labs after!

Back up your phone etc first...some apps may need to be reinstalled after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Here is a question to you all, why are you still using an ancient Nokia technology from the Sputnik era when there are phones like the iPhone and Galaxy S II?

Nokia is finished, done. Forget it.

:rolleyes:

Who developed most of the mobile technology used in those phones?....Nokia!

Any actually valid reasons to your rant?!

:rolleyes:

Who developed most of the mobile technology used in those phones?....Nokia!

Any actually valid reasons to your rant?!

I'm just merely curious.

I mean the N8 costs 400 euros, it's abysmally outdated technology, why even buy it? You can buy a great camera for that price.

Wow €400...nice to see you don't know how much you can get one for!

Put it this way what does the iPhone have over an N8?! Straight away your going to say the OS...but give clear cut examples not just the usual generic answer!

Your point about the camera for that price....yeah that's grand...but don't forget you'd still have to go by a phone then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I'm just merely curious.

I mean the N8 costs 400 euros, it's abysmally outdated technology, why even buy it? You can buy a great camera for that price.

muppet..:pac::pac::p
    but you cant make phone calls on a camera! lol
    but you get a great camera phone that can take great photo's,plus make call your mates
    two for the price o one.
    thats why most of us got this phone.but hey each to their own,eh?
    (note....n8,a year after launch STILL has the best camera going)
    so...you go spend 400 notes on a camera..then go spend the same on
    a phone,and carry them both round with you.
    me?...ill just use my n8 :D

methinks you troll much

Wow €400...nice to see you don't know how much you can get one for!

Put it this way what does the iPhone have over an N8?! Straight away your going to say the OS...but give clear cut examples not just the usual generic answer!

Your point about the camera for that price....yeah that's grand...but don't forget you'd still have to go by a phone then!

Of course I'm going to say the OS, but other than the OS, there is the hardware too, face it the 4S' camera might not be as good as the N8's but it's pretty damn close, and the 4S runs on the latest and greatest hardware, much faster than the N8.

As for the OS, uhhh, where do I start? First let's start with the updates, with iOS and the iPhone, you get a new version of the OS with the purchase and subsequently two extra annual updates, how are those updates coming along for the N8? Not very well.

Can you search in the music app on the N8?

The keyboard is abysmal, it still does not have a multitouch support. When you are typing on the N8, you have to surgical.

The cut, copy/paste is atrociously implemented.

Photo viewer lags on the first pinch-zoom gesture, no kinetic panning when zoomed it the picture, no bounce effect(on both max zoom in and out).

Can Symbian even rotate to landscape to both sides or does it still not do that?

Nokia Maps go ruined, it's super basic now. Third party GPS applications aren't being updated anymore, in fact almost no applications are being updated anymore.

Lots of things in fact got dumbed down since the S60v3 days.

So you got an FM transmitter, with it's crappy quality, who needs that?

The browser is horrible, so is the email client.

Do you have Viber? Firefox Home? Groceries? Soulver? Adverts.ie app? Eirtext Pro? PlainText(Dropbox sync for notes)? Skype with video?

Can you easily set up Google services sync? Calendars, Contacts, Notes?

Everyone else has moved on while Nokia is still battling the 4 year old problems like a basic browser, smoothness and usability.

You guys don't even have an official Dropbox app. Symbian is a platform everyone is abandoning, it's sinking ship. The captain has jumped.

And contrary to a popular Symbian fan's belief, we CAN play DivX/Xvid/MKV/FLV and everything else on iOS.

As for the price, I'm quoting from well known sources, Expansys, everyone replies with "LOL, 400!!? no way" yet no one has showed a lower price. It's price is 400 euro, super overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

LOL...another Steve Jobs acolyte springs up....
    Sheesh, you guys are worse than Baron Samedi....

The N8 is primarily a PHONE, not a wannabe toy like your iCrap. Adding 10 000 'apps' to it , supposedly enabling it to do everything under the sun won't make it work any better. At the end of the day - IT'S STILL A PHONE - and a poor one at that. If you want a computer, buy a freaking pc or a Mac or a Linux box.

Before you spout the usual tired generic 'facts' about how good iOS is, actually take time to read the real unbiased discussion threads. Apple = Nice shiny cover on the outside, crap on the inside.
    Of course I'm going to say the OS, but other than the OS, there is the hardware too, face it the 4S' camera might not be as good as the N8's but it's pretty damn close, and the 4S runs on the latest and greatest hardware, much faster than the N8.

As for the OS, uhhh, where do I start? First let's start with the updates, with iOS and the iPhone, you get a new version of the OS with the purchase and subsequently two extra annual updates, how are those updates coming along for the N8? Not very well.

The keyboard is abysmal, it still does not have a multitouch support. When you are typing on the N8, you have to surgical.

Photo viewer lags on the first pinch-zoom gesture, no kinetic panning when zoomed it the picture, no bounce effect(on both max zoom in and out).

Can Symbian even rotate to landscape to both sides or does it still not do that?

Nokia Maps go ruined, it's super basic now. Third party GPS applications aren't being updated anymore, in fact almost no applications are being updated anymore.

Do you have Viber? Firefox Home? Groceries? Soulver? Adverts.ie app? Eirtext Pro? PlainText(Dropbox sync for notes)? Skype with video?

Everyone else has moved on while Nokia is still battling the 4 year old problems like a basic browser, smoothness and usability.

You guys don't even have an official Dropbox app. Symbian is a platform everyone is abandoning, it's sinking ship. The captain has jumped.

And contrary to a popular Symbian fan's belief, we CAN play DivX/Xvid/MKV/FLV and everything else on iOS.

As for the price, I'm quoting from well known sources, Expansys, everyone replies with "LOL, 400!!? no way" yet no one has showed a lower price. It's price is 400 euro, super overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I looked here and here on Expansys.ie and it only seemed to get good reviews. Factually inaccurate there. As previously discussed the N8 is one of Nokia's best Symbian efforts. In the context of the entire phone market it got mixed reviews. But most folks here were aware of that when they purchased and (I would assume) are happy with their purchase. It doesn't entitle you be rude. Indeed, I looked at the Apple Media Devices forum and came across this gem in their charter:
    If you have come here to slag off iPhone users, you won't last long. Promise. Rational, coherent debate on the features/lack of features is welcomed, posts such as "Teh iPhone is bleedin' shoite" will get you into a spot of bother.
    If that type of thing isn't welcome there, why do it here? Describing the N8 as something from the Sputnik era smacks of too much hyperbole.....correct me if I'm wrong, but the single-chip CPU wasn't a reality back in 1957.

No applications are being updated anymore? I got updates for Nokia Internet Radio, YouTube Downloader, fMobi, Vlingo, Opera Mini/Mobile recently. Joikuspot informs me that the 3.2 update is ready.

Symbian Anna has a search app, surprisingly enough it searches more than music.

Not sure how rotating to landscape on both sides is an advantage on a Symbian phone, it lets you take advantage of the physical camera button. How long did it take for the iPhone to get that feature, again?

You can sync Google Calendar with GooSync and SyncMe.se, and sync contacts with SyncML.

A quick search of Amazon.co.uk and I found one for ~£280 at time of posting. Last time I checked, Apple doesn't allow much price variance with their products.

Swype on Symbian is really good keyboard, and I'm looking forward to the latest release graduating from beta. The stock keyboard is much better in landscape that portrait, imo.

Yes, the browser is meh. That's why I use Opera. The email client could be much better, multitouch isn't everywhere and I have to put my C7 on top of my stereo to get clean o/p from the FM transmitter. Great for listening to podcasts while washing the dishes. But personal FM transmitters have tightly defined power o/p requirements, for good reason.

Yes, many well known providers don't have apps for Symbian. It's a pain, but you try to work around it as best you can. That's why there's cuteBox for Dropbox.

Can the iPhone play DivX/Xvid/MKV/FLV out of the box, without jailbreaks or third-party apps?

I'm not sure I'd need a third-party GPS app, Nokia Maps does a fine job. And I still have the option of Google Maps if I need it.

As for phone updates, that's a bit of a mess. Not that Apple puts out good firmware either...What did the iOS 5 update do to the 3GS exactly? And while I'm on the subject, when did the iPhone gain OTA updates, compared to Nokia?

Yes, copy and paste between S^3 and QT apps can be a problem. For example, I can't copy a URL from Opera and paste it into an fMobi chat. The iPhone didn't even have copy & paste at launch.

Despite what you think, the smartphone market isn't a binary choice between iOS and Android. I use Android too and I'm getting a really nice HTC, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Advertisement