Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

On (O2) Belle. I used to have the mail widget on my homecreeen when on Anna but the new one is too big. So I just have the mail shortcut now. I have multiple mailboxes. I seem to recall being able to have separate shortcuts for mailboxes but I can't seem to be able to do this now. Anyone manage it it or has this feature also been retired?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭StaunchyDJ

Are Widgets not Re-Sizable with Belle? Hence made longer/shorter wider/narrower like as in a window with Windows OS and the likes...? I taught or heard this was to be inter-graded... hmmm maybe just wishful thinking on my part :o:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

StaunchyDJ wrote: »
    Are Widgets not Re-Sizable with Belle? Hence made longer/shorter wider/narrower like as in a window with Windows OS and the likes...? I taught or heard this was to be inter-graded... hmmm maybe just wishful thinking on my part :o:p

Might have been planned but it didn't make it into the final release.

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Belle-Widgets-re-sizable/m-p/1296847#M109318

• Registered Users Posts: 25 demc7

I was just wondering what you guys would think about buying an N8 versus a Lumia Windows phone. From the point of view of somebody buying the phone now, what would be a better long term choice?
    N8 is €249 with O2, Lumia 710 is €279 on Amazon. I think the N8 has a better spec, but long term the Lumia should be getting more apps and updates. Is the N8 still a good purchase now?

demc7 wrote: »
    I was just wondering what you guys would think about buying an N8 versus a Lumia Windows phone. From the point of view of somebody buying the phone now, what would be a better long term choice?
    N8 is €249 with O2, Lumia 710 is €279 on Amazon. I think the N8 has a better spec, but long term the Lumia should be getting more apps and updates. Is the N8 still a good purchase now?

I'd go with the Lumina, less quality camera but much greater processing @ 512MB RAM & 1.4Ghz CPU

Check them both out side by side here at GSM Arena http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3252&idPhone2=4276

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Mur1

Hey, been trying to update my N8 to bell but i'm getting error msg 12017. I uninstalled and reinstalled nookia suite twicw now like it said to do but no success. I also did a soft reset on my phone but that made no difference.

I see from googling it's happening to others but i cant seem to find a solution. Anyone overcome this problem or know how to?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Mur1 wrote: »
    Hey, been trying to update my N8 to bell but i'm getting error msg 12017. I uninstalled and reinstalled nookia suite twicw now like it said to do but no success. I also did a soft reset on my phone but that made no difference.

I see from googling it's happening to others but i cant seem to find a solution. Anyone overcome this problem or know how to?
    Thanks

Have you tried the latest beta of Nokia Suite?

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-suite-beta

Have you tried the latest beta of Nokia Suite?

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-suite-beta[/QUOTE]

Thanks EarthlyPangaea, seems to have done the trick. It downloading belle at the moment so fingers crossed. Never used betalabs before. Thanks again.

Finally Belle released for Three branded N8's :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Finally Belle released for Three branded N8's :D:D

Not out for their C7s yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

demc7 wrote: »

I just upgraded to a Lumia 800 and I gave my wife my N8.

I am sick.

:mad:

Edit: Think very carefully before getting the Lumia 800. My experience has not been great so far. Yes there is more potential for more apps etc. with the Lumia, but every time I pick it up to do certain things, I find myself saying two things:

1. Feck it, I regret buying this phone...
    2. My old N8 would have been able to do this...

The N8 is an outstanding phone. I really miss using it, despite the limitations of Symbian, but now I would gladly take it back.

zinzan wrote: »
    Not out for their C7s yet :(

Give it time, took long enough t just get it for d N8 and that was with alot of pestering to Three here on this forum, Facebook and not that it does much, Customer Care...! Have t say though it's some difference, like a whole new phone!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I prefer the fm transmitter on the N8 to the one on the Lumia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I prefer the fm transmitter on the N8 to the one on the Lumia.

The Lumia 800 does not have an FM transmitter?! :confused:

Ronan H wrote: »

Just thinkin d same thing, it's not on d specs on GSM Arena website! The link in my earlier post shows All Specs an Transmitter ain't in there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ronan H wrote: »
    Sorry, it was an early morning attempt at sarcasm which didn't work. I would like to upgrade to a lumia 800 but lack of fm transmitter has put me off. Apologies for confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Tardis

Belle still not on the Meteor N8 :(:(

Just wondering when i was updating to belle it said it backed up first and then restored 2500 odd messages i had on my phone.
    There obviously not in my messages now and I'm wondering are they now clogging up the memory on my phone somewhere? Because if they are i dont mind deleting them.

Also i thought when i set opera as the default browser links from emails, YouTube shortcut would open in opera? But this is not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Nokia Belle has been release for Meteor branded N8's with product code 059D7X4. Check Nokia Suite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Tardis wrote: »
    Belle still not on the Meteor N8 :(:(
    I just downloaded it there onto my Meteor N8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

dcr22B wrote: »
    I just downloaded it there onto my Meteor N8.

Sure that was two days ago. I think it only became available today, or late yesterday, can't remember exactly when I last checked.

Mur1 wrote: »
    Just wondering when i was updating to belle it said it backed up first and then restored 2500 odd messages i had on my phone.
    There obviously not in my messages now and I'm wondering are they now clogging up the memory on my phone somewhere? Because if they are i dont mind deleting them.

Also i thought when i set opera as the default browser links from emails, YouTube shortcut would open in opera? But this is not happening.

These Messages are from Nokia Suite, Nokia Suite if you have it set up to Sync Texts and the likes, store them on your PC/Laptop. If you open N.S. without connecting your Device and go to Messages you'll see that ALL the old Text Messages from all Syncs are there on the computer for each Contact. They wouldn't be clogging up RAM but they would be taking up some space from whichever storage you have them set up for, though not a whole lot as Text Messages use very little space.

As for Default Browser it should open ALL Web Browsing with the set Default but I personally wouldn't know much about that end, best going to http://discussions.europe.nokia.com for that question ;)

Hope this helps somewhat,

Staunch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The successor to the N8 will be revealed tomor.....

jimmynokia wrote: »

Any idea what she'll be running...?

jimmynokia wrote: »

Any idea what she'll be running...?

Yip,symbian belle apparently but possibly carla by release..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Very impressed with Nokia Belle and only one quip so far in that I can't set my primary e-mail up on the widget yet have my two secondary mails fully set up (obviously a Google problem but annoying nonetheless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

After a host of N8 bluetooth issues, which arose post Symbian Anna update back in Sept 2011, I received a brand new boxed N8 from Nokia direct as I had returned the faulty unit to Nokia Care and Nokia UK on 3 occasions between Oct '11 and Jan of this year.

It has arrived with the latest Belle OS, however, I'm not sure if I want to use an N8 again after so much previous trouble - and I've since got a replacement whilst going through the motions with Nokia Care. Would the readers of this thread, recommend the N8 running belle and give it a second chance, or should I sell it boxed as new? If so, what would be the guideline price for a brand new one in warranty?

ciarsd wrote: »
    After a host of N8 bluetooth issues, which arose post Symbian Anna update back in Sept 2011, I received a brand new boxed N8 from Nokia direct as I had returned the faulty unit to Nokia Care and Nokia UK on 3 occasions between Oct '11 and Jan of this year.

It has arrived with the latest Belle OS, however, I'm not sure if I want to use an N8 again after so much previous trouble - and I've since got a replacement whilst going through the motions with Nokia Care. Would the readers of this thread, recommend the N8 running belle and give it a second chance, or should I sell it boxed as new? If so, what would be the guideline price for a brand new one in warranty?

Give belle a try for a few days,this model has dropped in price and will drop much more with the 808 on the way.

Guideline price now 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

I've had an N8 on O2 just over a year and despite having realised my mistake when my wife got a Samsung Galaxy and my son got a HTC Desire a few weeks after my upgrade to an N8, I've soldiered on and found that I could live with Anna.

Last week along came Belle and I was initially smitten but my ardour has been severely cooled when I discover that an overnight charge will not get me home from work in the evening.

I was getting at least 2 days with Anna but from 100% at 7 o'clock this morning to dead phone at 4.30 with very little usage, what is going on.

Could it be that 1 year is about the life of a battery and it's just a coincidence that it's died at the same time as my update to Belle. I've never had to replace a phone battery before and I had one Nokia for over 4 years.

Can't wait till I'm due my next upgrade and change to Android but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

wilson10 wrote: »
    I've had an N8 on O2 just over a year and despite having realised my mistake when my wife got a Samsung Galaxy and my son got a HTC Desire a few weeks after my upgrade to an N8, I've soldiered on and found that I could live with Anna.

Last week along came Belle and I was initially smitten but my ardour has been severely cooled when I discover that an overnight charge will not get me home from work in the evening.

I was getting at least 2 days with Anna but from 100% at 7 o'clock this morning to dead phone at 4.30 with very little usage, what is going on.

Could it be that 1 year is about the life of a battery and it's just a coincidence that it's died at the same time as my update to Belle. I've never had to replace a phone battery before and I had one Nokia for over 4 years.

Can't wait till I'm due my next upgrade and change to Android but in the meantime any help would be appreciated.

Same here noticed it straight away Belle likes her juice. Even going to the trouble of turning off all communications devices and closing all apps when not in use I just about get a day out of it, never had to do that with anna and would get two days with moderate usage.

Advertisement