Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Shoes versus Triathlon Shoes on long rides

Options
  • 27-04-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I've been cycling/triathloning for about 13 months. I've only ever cycled with road shoes, indeed I've only ever raced in triathlons in road shoes. I've a long event looming and I'm wondering - ignoring transition, how do triathlon shoes compare to road shoes over longer cycles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Generally they are road shoes that have more ventilation and different closing mechanisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

tunney wrote: »
    Generally they are road shoes that have more ventilation and different closing mechanisms.

Yep - the tri shoe usually has one wide velcro strap instead of two narrower ones - easier to open while freewheeling in to the transition.

The extra ventilation can be a pain while cycling long distances rain or cold weather - shoe covers needed in those conditions if you're not doing a tri

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mcdonrob

Thanks for the replies.

My chief concern was in regard to any differences in rigidity of a tri-shoe versus road-shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

you might be able to get a slightly better fit with a road shoe as there are most straps/dials etc to adjust. Any wiggle is going to waste power which is not good. The downside is that in a tight fitting shoe I often end up with hot spots so I spend my time whinging and moaning about the pain rather than concentrating on the cycling. Bike shoes (for me at least) are a real trade off between best fit and comfort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

My bike shoes are in a heap so looking to buy a new pair. I bought a cheap pair of DHB bike shoes on wiggle about 3 years ago and to be honest they've been fine do pretty much all my cycling in them except for short commutes which I just do in runners.

I'm gathering from this thread and the couple of others I found in the archives that there are no benefits to choosing tri shoes over bike shoes other than the fact it's quicker to open/close one strap than it is three? :)

Budget is low, was thinking I'd go for tri shoes seeing as I'm getting new ones anyway but if there's no real benefits to choosing tri over bike I might just get whichever shoes feel better. Any recommendations? Seemingly there is no real need to be too picky about what I'm wearing on the bike? Maybe the more expensive shoes will last longer than the likes of DHB shoes?

Edit: If a mod could move this to triathlon/duathlon/messing it would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement

My bike shoes are in a heap so looking to buy a new pair. I bought a cheap pair of DHB bike shoes on wiggle about 3 years ago and to be honest they've been fine do pretty much all my cycling in them except for short commutes which I just do in runners.

I'm gathering from this thread and the couple of others I found in the archives that there are no benefits to choosing tri shoes over bike shoes other than the fact it's quicker to open/close one strap than it is three? :)

Budget is low, was thinking I'd go for tri shoes seeing as I'm getting new ones anyway but if there's no real benefits to choosing tri over bike I might just get whichever shoes feel better. Any recommendations? Seemingly there is no real need to be too picky about what I'm wearing on the bike? Maybe the more expensive shoes will last longer than the likes of DHB shoes?

Edit: If a mod could move this to triathlon/duathlon/messing it would be much appreciated.

The difference between a more expensive shoe (Sidi or Spesh from my experience) over a cheap one is comfort and performance. Longevity too but second to comfort and performance. One of my Spesh shoes was used for a season of tri and then 8 years of commuting. Only buried a month ago. Spesh tri shoes in great nick still, Spesh s-Works shoes still flying after 4 years.

I think it boils down to this. If you look after your kit get the priciery stuff, if not get the cheaper stuff.

Anyways back on topic more - whats the budget? Are you fuzzy about female colours? (insisting on or an aversion too?)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would normally have an aversion to red but now I have an ugly pulse tri suit that doesn't matter anymore. I wouldn't mind something bright green though...

Looking at about 150/160 euro at the moment - if it's actually worth spending a bit extra, in a couple of weeks I could probably go to about €200. Was going to go to wheelworx but have noticed online their TR31's are €10 more than CSS(is there 10% discount in there with a TI card?).

I would normally have an aversion to red but now I have an ugly pulse tri suit that doesn't matter anymore. I wouldn't mind something bright green though...

Looking at about 150/160 euro at the moment - if it's actually worth spending a bit extra, in a couple of weeks I could probably go to about €200. Was going to go to wheelworx but have noticed online their TR31's are €10 more than CSS(is there 10% discount in there with a TI card?).

Don't forget cycleways - in my opinion there is no cycling shoe even comparable to a Specialized cycling shoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

I have Mavic tri shoes and find them decent, they're within your budget too, I tried the shimanos but wasn't a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Don't forget cycleways - in my opinion there is no cycling shoe even comparable to a Specialized cycling shoe.

I have the trivent expert and while they are a very good shoe I wouldn't recommend them (therefore I wouldn't recommend the cheaper sport version either). The problem is, most people mount and start pedalling with their feet on top of the shoes. Doing that in these shoes causes the Velcro strap to partially close making it very difficult to get your feet in after. So I mount and put my feet straight into the shoe which takes a lot more effort and thought, and is not always flawless. Also, other tri shoes have a much bigger opening than these which is quite small comparatively. The upper is much more rigid than other tri shoes I've seen so it doesn't open up enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have tried on a good few and settled on a pair of Shimano TR52 recently (carbon sole)
    Noticeable difference between these and my previous entry level sh1tty northwaves. I would put the difference around 5w as i just feel more attached to the bike and not losing as much in power transfer to the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

As a Pulse member you'll also be able to avail of the Club discount with Cycleways so have a look in there to see what's on offer.

I'm currently rocking Specialized Road shoes for my roady - have them 2 years and they're still mint. Very comfortable.

I bought the Shimano TR31 tri-shoes at end of 2010, and burnt through them last year...
    Literally burnt, as I skidded in DCT and wore a hole in the side of it. :o
    The silver mesh hadn't aged well either though, got v dirty from wet races and I wasn't sure about bunging them in washing machine.

Anyway, I replaced with one of the upper model tri Shimano's and find them pretty decent now. Perhaps not the best comfort level sometimes by toe area but 90% comfy.

If I was buying now I'd be trying on the Specialized first to be honest.
    But I do like the Shimano strap system on the tri shoes. Very easy.
    Specialized have a boa system that is supposed to be pretty good now too though.

Happy Shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I have the trivent expert and while they are a very good shoe I wouldn't recommend them (therefore I wouldn't recommend the cheaper sport version either). The problem is, most people mount and start pedalling with their feet on top of the shoes. Doing that in these shoes causes the Velcro strap to partially close making it very difficult to get your feet in after.

I have the sport version and really like them but i also am aware of the issue of getting the foot in to them when mounting the bike. i just mount and get the feet in ASAP and it isnt really an issue then.

P.S i got them in cycleways too using my pulse discount account - handy to have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

miller82 wrote: »
    I have the sport version and really like them but i also am aware of the issue of getting the foot in to them when mounting the bike. i just mount and get the feet in ASAP and it isnt really an issue then.

P.S i got them in cycleways too using my pulse discount account - handy to have :)

Not a pulse member so no discount for me. I bought in evans cycles when I was over in London early last year.

Mounting and slipping the shoes on straight away is mostly fine, but when there is a hill straight after T1 (like Valentia) then it can be a problem as you haven't enough momentum built up to have the time to get your feet in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Mounting and slipping the shoes on straight away is mostly fine, but when there is a hill straight after T1 (like Valentia) then it can be a problem as you haven't enough momentum built up to have the time to get your feet in.

fair enough - havent had this scenario yet myself

Advertisement