Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dysthymia

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    Im not looking for medical advice just want to know if anyone out there has this as well. After feeling weird/different/anti social/”bleh” since I was around 7, getting suicidal thoughts from 12-15, back to just miserable, to pulling myself up again to bleh I am now 24 and diagnosed with dysthymia, chronic low grade depression.

From 18 to 22 I made huge improvements in my social life. I got rid of the shyness and most of the social awkwardness and made loads of new close friends, started feeling better about my body etc. I thought I was finally getting happy. Instead I just leveled out at bleh. Last year I got really down and and fed up with always feeling restless and hopeless and anxious and paranoid. I was kind of thinking that I might actually be depressed. I have never thought I fit the description of a depressed person and thought I would just waste people’s time if I came and complained about just feeling sad for no reason. At this point however I had completely isolated myself from the world, probably not left the house in about a week, missed a month of college etc.

I started going to counseling in college. First time I was there I didn’t know what to expect, I only knew that my mood had started to affect my life really bad, (3 months’ rent in arrear ehem) and maybe I should go get some sort of help. She sent me straight to the college GP who put me on a low level of AD. Got financial help from the college as well. Things started to look up and I got more productive and motivated. This was most likely a placebo effect combined with not having to stress over money. I got worse a few weeks later. I went back and tried the other college gp who upped the dose. I went zombie. I went back and was basically told to cop on and pull myself together, quit college and let my parents take care of me (they don’t even live in Ireland!) I decided to start weaning myself of the AD. Went back to the first GP, he referred me to a psychiatrist cos he didn’t know what to do with me.

That was 12 days ago. Real shrink diagnosed me with dysthymia. It makes so much sense. A lot of questions were answered and I feel very relieved. He put me on Prozac and I got xanax for the first month in case anxiety got worse. Problem is I wont be able to see him again as he has quit.

That’s where I am now. Anxious as fcuk. Feeling nauseous, sleepy, head ache. Stressed about exams that’s starting in a month. I’ve only been to about 5 classes this semester. I’ll give the exams a go anyways. If all else I have a get out of prison free card with the medical cert….
    Trying to make the time pass so another day will come and I can take my next pill. I just want to play my life forward a month to see if it will work. Im so scared it won’t work. Im trying to get hold of college counselor for a chat but she’s busy.

I don’t know why I came here really. Needed to vent I suppose. Need a job asap as well, need the anxiety to go away so I can dare to apply/go to interviews. Almost back to 3 months rent in arrears. Royally skrewed for money this time.

Anyone here got positive experiences with Prozac? I don’t want to hear the negative ones. Need a bit of hope.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Did a few of them when I couldn't get any yips in college. Felt on top form for a few days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Did a few of them when I couldn't get any yips in college. Felt on top form for a few days!

Billy if you have nothing useful to add then please don't post in PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭parker larkin

a combination of drugs and therapy are probably the best way forward imo. Medication can take a min of one month to work. And you have to like and trust your therapist. But it can be done.

And yes, I know people who have been on SSRIs for years and find it very helpful. But again, I repeat, a combination of therapy and counselling is the best method. It can take time, but hopefully the coping strategies and things you learn about yourself will hold to you for the rest of your life.

It might be time to get some support from family &/friends, if that's an option?

As for the money problems, do not ignore them. Try and arrange a repayment strategy. It's better to pay off a little bit at a time than ignore the situation completely...

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, me again. After going through anxiety hell for the last few days I'm actually fine today. First time i felt bored just sitting around. I even got milk in the shop. Who knew feeling bored could be a positive thing!

Anyways, i was wondering if any of the mods could move this to the long term illness forum? Unfortunately it looks quite busy over there and maybe someone who is going through the same thing might see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Moved at OP's request

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi, I went on these meds with advice from doctor when I was in second year in university. They help a little but you really need to get thinking about your life and if things that have happened to you have caused the way you feel now. This part is very interesting and will remove the bleh. Happenings could be as simple as a parent ignoring you or beating down your self confidence. I recommend the books by John Bradshaw, first of all. They are amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 andi73

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with dysthymic disorder combined with major depression a couple of years ago.

There is good news and challenging news for you.

Firstly, dysthymic disorder is more to do with personality than a transient mood in your life. It points to a melancholic personality which basically means that you are pessimistic by nature. You will have to find a way to deal with your outlook and make daily strategies to cope.

Good news time, you will improve and take your life and yourself to a stage that you feel comfortable with and that you can cope with.

Lastly, your treatment MUST include the following, or you will in no time at all go back to square one.

Daily exercise, of at least half an hour.
    A very good diet
    A support group. Aware have many meetings in Dublin. I joined AA as alcohol had become a huge crutch for me
    A proper sleep pattern
    Possible medication
    The right job for you.
    Support from family or friends and significant other
    Spirituality, you need to connect to your higher power for help and guidance.

NO alcohol, drug abuse, caffeine, tv/internet addiction, isolation, junk food.

Advertisement