Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taken in a stray cat, and i have a question.

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have taken in a lovely cat, i think she is aprox 1year as she has no tartar on her teeth and she looks like she has never had kittens.

I was stroking her and realised her front nipples are going black and scabby, also her lower nipples are missing, any ideas what it could be?

I will be taking her to the vets next week to have her spade and will ask them, she didnt have flees but i go her the flee stuff for the back of her neck also wormed her even though im sure she didnt have worms. She is house trained and knows she cant go on the sideboards and seems like whe was taken care of. She has been abandoned im quite sure of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Hi,

I have taken in a lovely cat, i think she is aprox 1year as she has no tartar on her teeth and she looks like she has never had kittens.

I was stroking her and realised her front nipples are going black and scabby, also her lower nipples are missing, any ideas what it could be?

I will be taking her to the vets next week to have her spade and will ask them, she didnt have flees but i go her the flee stuff for the back of her neck also wormed her even though im sure she didnt have worms. She is house trained and knows she cant go on the sideboards and seems like whe was taken care of. She has been abandoned im quite sure of it.

Just wondering how your sure she was abandoned? From what you said it just seems a bit odd that she would be trained, taken care off and then abandoned. I have to ask but did you check to see is there any lost posters in places (shops, vets, internet)

Years ago I had a stray cat who's nipples would always go black and scabby but I think it was just a very bad build up of dirt that just stuck to exposed skin it would fall off and after a while it would build back up again. This was when I was small so I'm not 100% sure what it was or if it did harm or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

My two cats that are mostly outdoors won't jump on the kitchen counters either. And all my cats go to the toilet outdoors and have never used a litter tray except for the kitten, but if they see the litter tray they'll go to the toilet in it. You don't really have to train cats to do that, they just will usually. So it's possible she wasn't an indoor cat.

But maybe someone is looking for her so maybe you could put up a few posters saying you found a cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

morganafay wrote: »
    My two cats that are mostly outdoors won't jump on the kitchen counters either. And all my cats go to the toilet outdoors and have never used a litter tray except for the kitten, but if they see the litter tray they'll go to the toilet in it. You don't really have to train cats to do that, they just will usually. So it's possible she wasn't an indoor cat.

Yeah, I suppose I'm thinking of my own stray one too much, he hadn't a clue what the litter tray was, he went in the bathroom sink! I had to show him the other cat using the tray, I could see him thinking WTF is she doing... ooohhh I get it now. Never had a problem after that:o

But if your not doing it already look around for the owner and after a certain length of time then I'd claim the cat as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

She is in very good condition and we put a collar on her to see in anyone would take it off (that's if she belongs to them) no one took the collar off.

She has made herself at home and gets on great with the kids even though she is a little scared of the 3 year old. She seems to be used to children. She waits by the door to be let out to go to the loo and then she will wait back at the door to come in. She only meows a little not very often.

We plan on keeping her thats why were not putting up posters. She was very skinny when she came to us and now she is putting on weight, were questioning if she is with kittens (hopefully not). Thats another reason were getting her spade next week!

Went to the local shop and vet stores and found no lost cat posters. Kids really want to keep her.

I'm glad she found a good home. :)

But someone could be looking for her. I know I would be very upset if any of my cats went missing. I know you want her, and you'll probably get to keep her . . . but if I was you then I would put up a couple of posters anyway. Just so you know that you did everything you could to help. I know the feeling because I found a kitten two years ago and really wanted to keep him. But I put up some posters anyway and asked all the neighbours if they owned him. I never found his owner so I kept him, which I was happy about. But if someone had lost him then I would have wanted them to find him. I think he was abandoned though.

6 years ago I found a different kitten, but he was extremely skinny, dirty and has a horribly infected ulcer in his eye. So I didn't put up any posters. Whoever let him get into that state wasn't getting him back. The vet even agreed he was definitely abandoned. But the cat you found might not have been . . . ?

• Advertisement

We live in an estate with 168 other houses, ive never seen this cat before. i will give it until the end of next week ( when she is due to be spayed).

If the owner comes forward all well n good, if not im going ahead with the spaying and getting her the injections and a check up at he same time and also see if she is microchipped if she is then i wont go ahead with the spaying and contact her owners.

Well at least you have the cat going outside right?, so if it lives nearby then it will go home if it wants or stay with you if it wants.

morganafay wrote: »
    Well at least you have the cat going outside right?, so if it lives nearby then it will go home if it wants or stay with you if it wants.

Yes, it goes out at 9pm and is at our door at 7.30am in the morning. she also goes out during the day for 3-5 hours other than that she is on my daughters bed having a cat nap. She has playfuls as well in the morning and in the evening where you cant walk past her without your leg/feet being attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We live in an estate with 168 other houses, ive never seen this cat before. i will give it until the end of next week ( when she is due to be spayed).

If the owner comes forward all well n good, if not im going ahead with the spaying and getting her the injections and a check up at he same time and also see if she is microchipped if she is then i wont go ahead with the spaying and contact her owners.
    i took in a cat 5 years ago, she was stray, went to vet to have her spayed, he had her knocked out and was in the middle of the operation when he rang, said something was wrong, asked me where we got her, i told him she chose us, and that was all the history we had, cat had already been spayed, fair dues to the vet he did not charge me, the cat got over it, and she is very happy, she does look like a cat that had a few sets of kittens, and it turned out she is far older than we thought, but as i say she is happy, that is all that matters

She might have been spade already i just dont know. I certainly dont want 6 kittens on my doorstep, the kids would love that though!

But after saying that ive got a sneeky feeling she could be with kittens but have to wait n see, im sure the vets will me next week.

( i grew up with cats n dogs but havent had a cat for years)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 april99

Hi Grindlewald,
    just wondering how you got on in the Vet's with the stray? Hope all is going well. I have a cat who was dumped at the back of a Dublin Bus as a kitten with fleas, mites and half starved. Thankfully the lovely driver brought him to a shelter & when I went there he chose me! Glad to hear that your kitten has settled in well with your family, wishing you all the best!

The cat is booked in for tuesday, so i will let you know then.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

I took in an abandoned female cat this year about 8 months old. Brought her to the vet to get vaccinations and asked about getting her Spayed. Vet said that she may already be spayed as hard to tell with females and they may not show surgery scars. Have you booked her in for a check up. How have you booked her in to be Spayed if you don't know if she has or hasn't been spayed already. Also if she is pregnant what are you going to do? will you take her on take care of the kittens, or abort the kittens, or give her to a foster home?. In the end my lovely cat went into heat and has 2 kittens which are going to be rehomed and My cat is now spayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 branwen00

Check out http://www.lostandfound.ie/ to see if she is listed there if there are no posters up around your area!

There is no legislation for cats at all in Ireland in terms of finding a lost cat, there is for dogs (1year and a date) but not for cats

The cat was already spade, dirt had been embedded in her nipples and in the fur under her chin. she is over a year but under 3.

No lost cat posters found anywhere and she wasn't micro chipped.

She seems to be doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 april99

Hi !
    You sound like a very responsible pet owner! Well done for checking she was spayed am sure there are people who wouldn't. Same goes for checking if she had a microchip. A friend of mind was reunited with her male cat after he went missing. People who found him brought him to local vet and my friend was contacted by vet. He was wandering around for about two weeks but thankfully apart from being a bit hungry & dehydrated he seems fine. She just got him back last week & he won't even stand beside the door now, let alone go outside!! Best of luck with your cat, am sure she's delighted to have landed on her feet!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭flowerific

The cat was already spade, dirt had been embedded in her nipples and in the fur under her chin. she is over a year but under 3.

No lost cat posters found anywhere and she wasn't micro chipped.

She seems to be doing well.

Was the vet able to tell you she was already spayed by just checking her. Or did he have to operate on her first or put her under anetectic and shave her fur to look for an op scar

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

It is very difficult to tell if a cat has been spayed already, sometimes you can see a little scare where the incision was made but then thats not even 100% sign its been done. Only way you can tell is having a look!

Advertisement