Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the story with the new anti-txting technology I keep hearing about?

• 27-04-2010 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Over the last couple of weeks I have heard a number of radio interviews about this new anti-texting technology they will be rolling out on mobile phones. Stops you texting while driving. I have heard so many horror stories that I think it it is a great idea - Anybody know more or got any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Steveg99 wrote: »
    Stops you texting while driving.

how does it know, i presume it needs GPS to work. and how do you use it if a passenger or on the train or similar, ie moving fast but not driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How does it even know if its a driver texting or a passenger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Steveg99

What has been stated is that the passanger goes through a validation system which they say is impossible for driver to pass as you need to concentrate, etc. Passenger obviously can pass it.

which they say is impossible for driver to pass as you need to concentrate, etc.

sounds like a challenge to be honest.

So if I'm getting a lift with a mate and want to send a text message I've to knuckle down and pass a test first? Where and how does this software get put onto existing phones and what idiotic mobile manufacturer is going to try implement it on new ones.

Its a bit late for April's fools isn't it?

• Advertisement

I actually remember hearing about this a few months ago on Newstalk, the tech guy on The Right Hook. I don't think they were too serious about it though, its too complicated and annoying for the normal user to bother with it. If a certain network or manufacturer introduced it first they'd lose out big time i reckon

All I know is I am sick of seeing fools driving around the city while they stare down at their phone in order to send a txt. I must see it 20 times a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Invasive technology to say the least, no matter how beneficial it is, no doubt the authorities will also be looking into this so that they can monitor and penalise offenders.

I heard it on Newstalk also - my understanding was that it had nothing to do with the make of phone. Instead it was pushed down by mobile phone operator and was compatible will all phones out there. Way I look at it I have to key in a few numbers to unlock my phone so if I had todo the same while travelling as a passanger in a car or bus then how bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I would like to see this new technology buy frankly why dont people just stop and txt instead of risking their life, how is this going to work? Voice recognition? It would be hard to concentrate when spelling out a word while driving I would imagine.

• Advertisement

So basically its a case of instead of coming up with a way of actually catching and prosecuting them, lets make it more distracting to do and therefore even more of a danger.

Good thinking. Why not add a sudoku puzzle to it aswell.

Quazzie wrote: »
    So basically its a case of instead of coming up with a way of actually catching and prosecuting them, lets make it more distracting to do and therefore even more of a danger.

Good thinking. Why not add a sudoku puzzle to it aswell.

Seriously???? Any suggestions on how they come up with a way of catching all the fools who insist on driving and texting at the same time??? Surely preventing it makes a good starting point. However the technology works this has to make more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

What has been stated is that the passanger goes through a validation system which they say is impossible for driver to pass as you need to concentrate, etc. Passenger obviously can pass it.

Or else the driver will put more concentration on their phone and will cause more accidents. Not bashing it, but needs more technology.

I don't text as a driver. I do however text as a passenger. A lot. Why shoould be punished for the few 'fools' who text while driving. I don't claim to know the answer but surely this isn't it. Whats next?

I am sure something like this wouldn't work if they made passing the validation system harder than sending a text in the first place - I am guessing some thought hind it. I suppose these types of technologies are about behavioural change. If you keep failing you will eventually stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Ive actually though of this before but just always wondered if it is possible:

your mobile phone have two "pressable" buttons, one on top and one on the bottom. The two of them need to be pressed at the same time to be able to txt ! if this new software is based on the fact that you are moving, if your are a passagner in a moving car, its not going to cause you a problem. If your a driver there is no way you are going to be able to use both hands..unless your driving with your elbows!!! :mad:

gaz wac wrote: »
    If your a driver there is no way you are going to be able to use both hands..unless your driving with your elbows!!! :mad:
    And that there is the problem. Making it harder makes them drive with their elbows rather than stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

maybe if the law was changed so drivers caught texting would lose their license for 6months and then have to resit their test it might improve safety on the roads. and not a bit of technology in sight, but it would need gardai with a sense of duty and responsibility to prosecute drivers for such a minor offence

This I'd support. Punish the guilty not the innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

but how would they get caught ? I got stopped for tax/ insurance about a month ago....before that.....id say four years ago !!! you should be able to shop someone in and sign an affitdavid (sp) and then let them check phone details with phone company...then off the road for a month!! simples :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I already have a fine tuned piece of equipment that stops me texting while driving.
    It's called a brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

but how would they get caught ? I got stopped for tax/ insurance about a month ago....before that.....id say four years ago !!! you should be able to shop someone in and sign an affitdavid (sp) and then let them check phone details with phone company...then off the road for a month!! simples :)
    if spotted texting by a garda he/she should stop your vehicle and check your phone for recent messages. but as said it requires gardai to be vigilant and out on the streets instead of hiding in the safety of their cars and vans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

your mobile phone have two "pressable" buttons,

Phones with buttons, how very noughties!

Seriously how will this distinguish between driving and passengering?

How will it affect legacy phones?

What is the cost?

What exactly is the benefit?

Will it apply to emails or webtexts?

spurious wrote: »
    I already have a fine tuned piece of equipment that stops me texting while driving.
    It's called a brain.

funny that, thats the same fine tuned piece of equipment that lets me text while driving :D

joking :P

Advertisement