Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic fine 9 months later from Sardinia!

Options
  • 27-04-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭

Just got a fine in the post from some company called EMO who are an outsourcing company for delivering/recieving fines for the Italian Police.

I got a letter today saying I owe €112 for driving a moped down a restricted traffic area. The website checks out (to a point) and it has copies of the police fine. I don't know what they are meant to look like tbh.

Any idea of what I should do? I can just pay up and forget about it, or am I risking being played for a fool? They got my details from the rental place apparently.

I wasn't stopped by any police, and I don't remember the infringement at all. I only had the bike for 6 hours, so I figured I would have.

Any ideas on how I should follow this up? I don't think ignoring it is an option!

Regards...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I think ignoring it is the best option tbh.l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

discus wrote: »
    Just got a fine in the post from some company called EMO who are an outsourcing company for delivering/recieving fines for the Italian Police.

I got a letter today saying I owe €112 for driving a moped down a restricted traffic area. The website checks out (to a point) and it has copies of the police fine. I don't know what they are meant to look like tbh.

Any idea of what I should do? I can just pay up and forget about it, or am I risking being played for a fool? They got my details from the rental place apparently.

I wasn't stopped by any police, and I don't remember the infringement at all. I only had the bike for 6 hours, so I figured I would have.

Any ideas on how I should follow this up? I don't think ignoring it is an option!

Regards...

You were more than likely caught on camera, in italy they use these driving offenses to increase revenue in each municiple area. EMO are the main collection agents, more administrative then collector though. Im not sure if non payment can effect your credit record.

If you dont pay they can request payment from the rental agent and this will probably cost you more to sort (I presume they have all your details). You may even be blacklisted by rental companies...

Pay it and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You were more than likely caught on camera, in italy they use these driving offenses to increase revenue in each municiple area. EMO are the main collection agents, more administrative then collector though. Im not sure if non payment can effect your credit record.

If you dont pay they can request payment from the rental agent and this will probably cost you more to sort (I presume they have all your details). You may even be blacklisted by rental companies...

Pay it and forget about it.

Hi OP,

The above is mostly not true, I've rented in Multiple countries and if you do get a speeding fine they'll generally just send the bill to the rental company and then they will bill your credit card.

Theres no other implications beyond that, you can't get points or anything.

Wait to see if the rental company bills you for it.

I wouldn't pay them directly to be honest, you don't even know if they are legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I'd ignore it OP.The first you would of heard about it would of been billed to your CC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Hi OP,

The above is mostly not true, I've rented in Multiple countries and if you do get a speeding fine they'll generally just send the bill to the rental company and then they will bill your credit card.

Theres no other implications beyond that, you can't get points or anything.

Wait to see if the rental company bills you for it.

I wouldn't pay them directly to be honest, you don't even know if they are legit.

:D orly..... whats not true?

http://forum.virtualtourist.com/discussion-340135-1-1-Travel-0-0-Pisa-discussion.html

http://www.blogfromitaly.com/speeding-fines-in-italy/

http://www.bella-toscana.com/traffic_violations_italy.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Thanks guys, all input is appreciated! That ECHR case is very interesting, turns out my infringement is over 210 days old :)

Having said that, I will probably just pay if it turns out to be legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

90% of Traffic information for other countries on the net in English is Absolute crap, e.g. most of the Information on the German system is just plain wrong.
    EU residents

Friends - for you life became even harder in March 2007 when EU regulations were implemented such that your local vehicle registration authority can and will cooperate with the authorities in other EU countries to locate you and deliver the citation. We do not know whether they will assist in collecting the fine. We have no information as to whether debt collection agencies have ever been employed for this purpose.

That for instance is True for all the Schengen states, however there is no full agreement between the UK + Ireland and Schengen, (Germany has an agreement with the UK) in the OPs case the Rental company in Italy provided his details to the Authorities, however there is no way for them to enforce the fine without going through the Irish courts and that never happens.

If you drive your own (Irish) car in France,Belgium,Germany, The Netherlands, Italy etc etc, and get flashed by a Gatso, you will not get anything in the post as they don't have any way to get your details from your registration.

As I said OP, wouldn't worry about it, just chuck it in the bin and forget about it. They would have included a picture if they had a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Right guys, I've come to the decision.

Since I go to Italy once a year, it's probably best to pay and remember last weeks poverty as my lesson!

Thanks for all the input, links and advice!

Advertisement