Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private scool and university

Options
  • 27-04-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Ok what do people think of this, you go to private school for 6 years and you don't get into university so you have to go to an IT does this mean you have failed

Isn't it the exception when sending your child to a private school that they will go to a university, if not why send them there in the first place:confused:

what are peoples opinion and is there any university snobs out there

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Many people think if they pay more for something it is 'better'.
    This isn't true of course, but sure if they want to spend their money on it, let them.

A child will go to university if they have the ability to get the required marks and come from a home where education is valued and encouraged and where they feel supported by the people taking care of them. They could go to school in a hedge and still go to university. It's nothing to do with private schools. Most of the people in university did not go to fee-paying private schools. Most went to 'voluntary secondary' schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Ok what do people think of this, you go to private school for 6 years and you don't get into university so you have to go to an IT does this mean you have failed

Isn't it the exception when sending your child to a private school that they will go to a university, if not why send them there in the first place:confused:

what are peoples opinion and is there any university snobs out there

Just because you pay a ridiculous amount of money to go to a private school doesn't guarantee that you'll get into a university. The onus is on you to do the work, not the money. Once you work your hardest and do the best you can, you're not a failure. For some people in my year (I didn't go to a well-off school at all) 200 points was a success because they worked as hard as they could for it, for others, 500-odd points was a disappointment because they didn't work as hard as they could have, myself included in that bracket. So apply that to a private school student. Once you worked your hardest, is it really a failure? A friend of mine is doing a level 8 European Studies course in IT Tallaght, which is around 185 points, I think. The exact same course in Trinity is 520 points. Which would you rather have, that degree from Trinity with barely a pass in it, or a first from ITT? It's all about the work you put in yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Just because you pay a ridiculous amount of money to go to a private school doesn't guarantee that you'll get into a university. The onus is on you to do the work, not the money. Once you work your hardest and do the best you can, you're not a failure. For some people in my year (I didn't go to a well-off school at all) 200 points was a success because they worked as hard as they could for it, for others, 500-odd points was a disappointment because they didn't work as hard as they could have, myself included in that bracket. So apply that to a private school student. Once you worked your hardest, is it really a failure? A friend of mine is doing a level 8 European Studies course in IT Tallaght, which is around 185 points, I think. The exact same course in Trinity is 520 points. Which would you rather have, that degree from Trinity with barely a pass in it, or a first from ITT? It's all about the work you put in yourself.

No one will hire you if you went to ITT lets be fair about it , compared to trinity college

You could do jam making in trinity and you would still get a job anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

While Trinity has a "rep." internationally, more so than the other universities let alone the Institutes of Technology (hell, it's hardly a surprise, it's had over 500 years to establish one!), that is only one small factor in the equation.

In fact, in my experience (of sitting on interview boards among other things) the course you did and your results are only one early "tick box" to be checked against the minimum requirements ... how the candidate presents at interview, their work experience, their general maturity and attitude ... all these are more important.

While this statement:
    might have been true a hundred years ago, it's a load of BS these days and rightly so.

No.
    Do you mean expectation, by any chance?

People send their kids to private schools for many reasons ... snobbishness usually has a part to play, but not always.
    ... is there any university snobs out there
    There are.

Does that include you?

I am hoping the elusive whiff of troll I am detecting is my over-sensitive olfactory glands, yes?

It would be inadvisable to convince me otherwise to-day.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

No trolling here just want peoples opinion on this matter as it seems to crop up a lot these day in my community

Thanks for your response at least I learned where the sense of smell comes from , you know you neurology very well, any chance you are a Private School Boy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

is there any university snobs out there
    No one will hire you if you went to ITT lets be fair about it , compared to trinity college

Eh, right.

Try telling that to three of my ex-Trinity jobless friends, and my sister, an ITT graduate, who's raking it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Blatant troll banned at last. :rolleyes:

I wonder if he goes to Trinity...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jumpguy wrote: »

I wonder if he goes to Trinity...

I VERY much doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

People send their kids to private schools for many reasons ... snobbishness usually has a part to play, but not always.

I don't think that's very fair. There are myriad of other reasons to send your kids to private schools; they might be the only schools in the area, they could have better resources, have a better ethos, produce the type of student you want your child to be like. I'd say snobbery is far down the list of reasons to send your child to a private school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

spurious wrote: »
    I VERY much doubt it.

With his appalling grammar, I doubt he'd get through the gates:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Thanks for your response at least I learned where the sense of smell comes from, you know you neurology very well, any chance you are a Private School Boy?
    No, I'm not. Not that it matters a damn.

And that remark would have been your swansong around here, were it not that others got to you first!!
    Piste wrote: »
    I don't think that's very fair. There are myriad of other reasons to send your kids to private schools; they might be the only schools in the area, they could have better resources, have a better ethos ...
    All fair enough, and covered under the "many reasons" I mentioned ...
    Piste wrote: »
    ... produce the type of student you want your child to be like.
    Which in itself implies the belief that certain schools are more likely to produce a superior type of person deus ex machina ... which is more or less what I'm talking about.

It's not necessarily the class / money type of snobbery, it's even understandable at times, but it is a type of snobbery all the same.

EDIT: Folks, let's not take potshots at someone who is no longer around / has no right of reply, eh? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Theres nothing wrong with IT's,most of them give Honou degrees equivlents to Uni's,with many of their engineering programmes actualy being better than Universitys.

I'm in 6th year of a grinds school which also does 1st,2nd and 3rd((No 4th)).While most oly do either 6th year or 5th and 6th ((Like myself)) two friends of mine that have been there since there were in first are going to IT to do graphic design courses and such which need portfolio's.

Its your descision,your parents only put you in private as they wished for you to get a good second level education :)

Advertisement