Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best current broadband provider?

• 27-04-2010 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey all,

I am currently with eircom, 3mb line, and to be honest its just not good enough. I have experienced smart telecoms 8mb package for the past few years living away from home, but having recently moved home I have to deal with this eircom "quality" service.

I know all about the smart telecom buyout, fair usage policy enforcement and throttling, first hand actually, and am deterred to upgrade my line to them here.

So im just wonder, what exactly are my options for ISP's? I know there probably isnt a high quality, truely limitless provider outthere, but what do you think is currently the best broadband provider in ireland?

btw, im located in Donegal!

Thanks,

- Richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

What options are available to you in the area you live?

If its only bitstream dsl it doesnt really matter who you pick, the "quality" will be more or less the same.

Also, post your linestats -

192.168.1.254 in your web browser - Expert mode - Statistics - Dsl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 richardnumber9

Well I can upgrade to 8mb eircom, but they are charging way too much. Smart telecom is another option, but the throttling situation annoys me. Vodafone ireland is just eircom in a vodafone halloween costume. I can get magnet swift package, dont know the exact details on that.

I dont know what other providers there are in my area. Heres my line stats:

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 40.00 24.00
    CRC Errors 1860 25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Magnet Swift is just resold Eircom DSL

If you use this website - http://212.23.23.177/adsl/default.aspx

You can input your line stats and get a generally idea what the max speeds are, that your line had handle.

From first glance your line stats are quiet poor, and its also possible they may fluctuate lower at random times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You're not going to get LLU from either of Smart or Magnet, so therefore anything you get will be re-sold eircom. The only difference will be on price (and cap). Magnet and UTV may be a good bit cheaper than eircom, and don't tend to get many complaints, so worth considering.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Like Nuxx said; off-net we offer Magnet swift. This is a re-sold eircom service the difference really is that we dont impose our fair usage policy. Also its a re-sold business service so in most instances the contention ratio is 12:1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement