Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first photo "essay": Keeler, CA

• 27-04-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I've only been taking pics for about 4 months, and with a Pansonic Lumix that seems to have a ghost in its machine, so these aren't the sharpest shots in the world, and there are at times exposure issues. I'm just trying to create a feeling for the town and the environs around it. We were there around high noon, so I couldn't do much about the light.

I travel most weekends up to the Owens Valley in eastern CA (I live in L.A.). Keeler is about the most ramshackle, funky, "should I even go in there?" town in the entire area. And, given that it's California high desert/Inyo Mountains, that's saying something.

There's actually a post office there, so it must be official, plenty of artists, but some of the more 'unique' places in town had pit bulls chasing our car, so many of these were taken from our front seats.

How far removed is Keeler? Really, really far.

P1000049.jpg

P1000050.jpg

Competing for the nicest building in town

P1000027.jpg

Same building, east side by a garage door.

P1000029.jpg

Note the spray-painted number. This is actually an address.

P1000030.jpg

Apparently, Nirvana is located in Keeler.

P10000341.jpg

Pit bulls roaming free, "guarding" this gem. And appropriately all black, too!

P1000036.jpg

Same place, across the street

P1000035.jpg

Typical Keelerian front yardscape..

P1000038.jpg

Police boat for a front yard in a town on a lake decades dry? Why not.

P1000037.jpg

The abandoned/derelict Catholic church. All the windows were covered in ancient bed sheets.

P1000042.jpg

The former main employer in town

P1000041.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Neasha

Good work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Weird, could have sworn I posted a reply ... must've got swallowed up by teh internetz ..

Anyway, what I thought I said was - Looks like you had very good light, nice bright day. And they're nice crisp images. Looks like the kind of waste-town you see in a lot of horrors :D I'd love to visit a town like that, just the once mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Weird, could have sworn I posted a reply ... must've got swallowed up by teh internetz ..

Anyway, what I thought I said was - Looks like you had very good light, nice bright day. And they're nice crisp images. Looks like the kind of waste-town you see in a lot of horrors :D I'd love to visit a town like that, just the once mind.

Thanks!

My g/f, who's a semi-pro, reminds me constantly that dawn and dusk are the best times for any photos, which may or may not be true, so I'm a bit gunshy about shooting in broad daylight, but I rather like the results. She's a landscape photographer who's primarily in the high Sierras, with all those crags and granite faces, so perhaps that's why.

If you want the absolute ultimate in CA fallout-chic deathscapes, Google 'Trona, CA'. I've never seen anything like it in the world, and I've been everwhere.

Edit: please note that neither of the two following photos are mine.

800px-Our_Churches_sign_in_Trona_Ca.jpg

20031101b-pitbull.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Great skies, shame about the town. Reminds me of Chernobyl:
    http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/

That sign outside that town is scary! Enough to send anyone running in the opposite direction! :D

I love a good bright sunny, blue-sky day for shooting. Sure, Dusk and dawn are great for landscapes, sunrises, fast water shots etc ... but for most other things, good crisp sunny day can be great. You can use nice fast shutter speeds along with narrow apertures and still get great lighting :)

For the purpose of your shoot it was perfect weather. They came out very well. Is it a Lumix dslr/4/3rds cam or point and shoot? Because there's nowt wrong with the image quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Is it a Lumix dslr/4/3rds cam or point and shoot? Because there's nowt wrong with the image quality.

Exif says:
    Camera Brand: Panasonic
    Camera Model: DMC-FS7

very nice shots for a P&S in that case [I was too lazy to check the data tbh, cheers :D ]

No wonder it scores 9/10 on trusted reviews.

My fuji old 'super zoom' would never get them that clear, I'd have to process the bejaysis outta them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

You are a braver man than me: Barstow and Victorsville used to scare the crap out of me, even without venturing up in the direction of places like Bishop or Keeler.

Fenster wrote: »
    You are a braver man than me: Barstow and Victorsville used to scare the crap out of me, even without venturing up in the direction of places like Bishop or Keeler.

Don't misunderstand the Owens Valley!

I'd like sell limbs or other peoples' children to live in Bishop, Big Pine, Lone Pine, etc....

From Lone Pine (or perhaps even Olancha) northwards, it's pure outdoorsman heaven, and very, very light on the Deliverance, mullet-wearing, cousin-humpers. High percentage of degreed people who move there, etc...

Barstow and Victorville, however, are in the SE desert part of the state the just gets effing more nutty the further out one goes......

PLace sounds better the more you all talk!! I want to visit NOW!! :D

• Advertisement

That sign outside that town is scary! Enough to send anyone running in the opposite direction! :D

I love a good bright sunny, blue-sky day for shooting. Sure, Dusk and dawn are great for landscapes, sunrises, fast water shots etc ... but for most other things, good crisp sunny day can be great. You can use nice fast shutter speeds along with narrow apertures and still get great lighting :)

For the purpose of your shoot it was perfect weather. They came out very well. Is it a Lumix dslr/4/3rds cam or point and shoot? Because there's nowt wrong with the image quality.

Thanks.

I think for me, as a novice (and esp. a novice with a girlfriend with pro equipment, the results of which I see all the time) I have this desire to have the pics come out looking exactly as sharp as my eyes see things. Her stuff seems to.

That's not going to happen with a point and shoot, esp at 10MP on a big computer monitor.

I'm still getting used to these limitations.

Sure, you're not going to get as good as a higher end dslr straight off, but learn to post-process and you'll discover a whole other angle on your images. I see potential for some great mono's in someof your images for starters. It's not always about the camera ...

PLace sounds better the more you all talk!! I want to visit NOW!! :D

I'll be sure to post more. John Muir didn't call it the 'Range of Light' for nothing.

It was the place where Galen Rowell chose to make his home, and there are literally hundreds of pro photographers who either live or work there, or both.

Here's a friend of my g/f. He's just one of many.

http://www.gdanmitchell.com/category/photographs-owens-valley

Good stuff. I only wish I lived near something as photogenic. Nothing anywhere near me that takes my interest, I'm stuck in ... photographers nightmare tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

ha ha yeah the hills have eyes come to mind:) but looks good all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

That town is incredible! I take it there are a few people there? did you see any of them and any idea if they were in any way friendly?!

On a slightly different note, I'm heading to san francisco in june for 6 days, and have a car for the final 2. Is there anywhere remotely similar to this that you know of, that isn't a million years from san fran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Love 'em. Especially 3, 4, 5 & 6. Some place

Mjollnir wrote: »
    Don't misunderstand the Owens Valley!

I'd like sell limbs or other peoples' children to live in Bishop, Big Pine, Lone Pine, etc....

From Lone Pine (or perhaps even Olancha) northwards, it's pure outdoorsman heaven, and very, very light on the Deliverance, mullet-wearing, cousin-humpers. High percentage of degreed people who move there, etc...

Barstow and Victorville, however, are in the SE desert part of the state the just gets effing more nutty the further out one goes......

Eh, I don't know. We looked at living in Pahrump, and while I really enjoyed the edge-of-the-desert feel, a lot of the locals are frightening.

Fenster wrote: »
    Eh, I don't know. We looked at living in Pahrump, and while I really enjoyed the edge-of-the-desert feel, a lot of the locals are frightening.

Trust me, the Owens Valley and (ahem) Pahrump, NV are two different planets. That, and the Owens area has the chi-chi money of Mammoth Mountain, which tends alienate the Bubbas and Cletuses.

alexlyons wrote: »
    That town is incredible! I take it there are a few people there? did you see any of them and any idea if they were in any way friendly?!

There are still people there (there's even a US Post Office), who I assume are retired or work in nearby Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, etc.... I've been told by folks that they're quite friendly, many are artists, but the few that I did see were somewhat less-than-approachable and distant, unfortunately like in a bad horror movie. Like staring at us from a doorway, silently, then for no apparent reason, quite suddenly going inside and slamming the door.

On a slightly different note, I'm heading to san francisco in june for 6 days, and have a car for the final 2. Is there anywhere remotely similar to this that you know of, that isn't a million years from san fran?

Let me think on it. There are some really cool sort of post-industrial/quasi wastelands sort of places around the Bay Area. There's an old railroad ghost town called (no kidding) Drawbridge, CA that would make for cool shots, waaaaay down in the Alviso slough. And the Santa Cruz Mountains has some real banjo-playin', cousin-humpin' backwoodsy parts.

Most places like Keeler are considered ghost towns, even w/people still living there, so check out:

http://www.highdesertdrifter.com/index.html
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/ca.html (watch out for the embedded, Hillbilly banjo sound file) They have a lot around the Bay Area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Mjollnir wrote: »
    There are still people there (there's even a US Post Office), who I assume are retired or work in nearby Olancha, Lone Pine, Independence, etc.... I've been told by folks that they're quite friendly, many are artists, but the few that I did see were somewhat less-than-approachable and distant, unfortunately like in a bad horror movie. Like staring at us from a doorway, silently, then for no apparent reason, quite suddenly going inside and slamming the door.

Let me think on it. There are some really cool sort of post-industrial/quasi wastelands sort of places around the Bay Area. There's an old railroad ghost town called (no kidding) Drawbridge, CA that would make for cool shots, waaaaay down in the Alviso slough. And the Santa Cruz Mountains has some real banjo-playin', cousin-humpin' backwoodsy parts.

Most places like Keeler are considered ghost towns, even w/people still living there, so check out:

http://www.highdesertdrifter.com/index.html
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/ca.html (watch out for the embedded, Hillbilly banjo sound file) They have a lot around the Bay Area

Brilliant! Thanks a million, i'll have a look at those links in a few minutes :) Let me know if you think of anything else. Cheers

Eh, it's a straight run down route 190 from one to the other. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

God, I LOVE this one. I could look at it all day.

P1000029.jpg

God, I LOVE this one. I could look at it all day.

P1000029.jpg

Thanks!

I thought my lucky stars had crossed for sure when I got old, broken TVs AND a derelict washing machine on the porch, not put there for effect, at the same time.

It combines two long-established, American hillbilly cliches at once.

The only thing more one could wish for would be a crappy old sofa, w/one end held up by a stack of moldy old phone books. Or maybe huge guy in bib overalls w/one of the fasteners down, holding a shotgun ;-)

Advertisement