Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat coughing up grass

Options
  • 27-04-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

My 8 month old kitty cat is coughing, he coughed up some grass but is still coughing on and off since yesterday,
    he's is eating some but not as much as normal, which is great news to his sis cos she's scoffing the lot, should i take him to the vet or should i let him work it up himself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Take him to the vet. He may have a viral infection that's making him cough. Cats automatically eat grass and vomit if they feel unwell, so it's probably not the grass that's making him cough. Someone else's cat on here has just ended up with a voren shot after sneezing - it could be allergy season, and yes your cats can react to pollen with coughs and sneezes.

Cats can go downhill very quickly if they're ill, and often times being an 'overprotective' owner and going to the vet at the first sign of a problem can save on vet bills in the longer term, because cats hide what's wrong with them until it's gone very wrong.

Let's put it this way - I've yet to regret going to the vet at the first sign of a problem, but I've occasionally regretted waiting to see if problems would resolve themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭sex panther

hey thanks ya so i took him to the vet earlier cos he was so lethargic and just didnt seem right , He has a virus and a super high temp and the coughing is from a sore throat, so the poor fella got an antibiotic and something to take the temp down so im glad i did take him. it cost 70euros (Which is my rent money:eek:) but as long as he's ok i dont mind

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Fair play for taking him, here's hoping his illness resolves quickly. You mentioned he eats from the same dish as his sister - did the vet say anything to you about keeping them separated so she doesn't catch the same thing? Saying that, some illnesses are contagious and some aren't, but if you're not sure it's worth phoning the vet again to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

cats and dogs use grass as a way of healing and cleaning their stomach and intestines, it was always natures wormer.

Advertisement