Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for best provider in James St area in Dublin

• 27-04-2010 4:44pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm moving house this month and am interested in hearing from anyone in the area and about the service they get from their provider.

I'm currently living just down the road at Leonards Corner and have my broadband with Smart Telecom. I have mostly been happy with them, but I really don't like the way they say their service is "unlimited" when it is in fact capped. Eircom are also out on general principle as I despise that company and the strangle-hold they've had on Irish infrastructure for far too long.

Current leaders for me are UPC cause 1) it's 30MB for the less than I currently pay and 2) it'd mean I don't have to worry about the phone line (which was initially installed but the land lord said is now inactive and disconnected).

Magnet are also a possibility, I'm a gamer and the Bolt package looks interesting.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Kharn wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'm moving house this month and am interested in hearing from anyone in the area and about the service they get from their provider.

I'm currently living just down the road at Leonards Corner and have my broadband with Smart Telecom. I have mostly been happy with them, but I really don't like the way they say their service is "unlimited" when it is in fact capped. Eircom are also out on general principle as I despise that company and the strangle-hold they've had on Irish infrastructure for far too long.

Current leaders for me are UPC cause 1) it's 30MB for the less than I currently pay and 2) it'd mean I don't have to worry about the phone line (which was initially installed but the land lord said is now inactive and disconnected).

Magnet are also a possibility, I'm a gamer and the Bolt package looks interesting.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks.

For us it all depends on what exchange you are on. If you PM me I can find out for you. We would cover almost all of the city centre so I would say we would be available. To date we have never imposed our FUP.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I am in Kilmainham and we are on the Crown Alley Exchange so I presume that James St would also be on Crown Alley?

dub45 wrote: »
    I am in Kilmainham and we are on the Crown Alley Exchange so I presume that James St would also be on Crown Alley?

Could be on dolphins barn (also covered by Magnet).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So, Rory tells me that Magnet can only do 8MB DSL which is less than I have atm. I'm currently hovering over the "order" button on the UPC site, can anyone give me a better alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Lived in James Street for 2 years and was on BT's (now Vodafone) 3mb package and it was pretty decent, had good latency for gaming which was my main concern at the time, I'm sure they've better packages on offer now.

Recently moved elsewhere and am on UPC's 15mb which is absolutely savage however, would highly recommend.

• Advertisement

Well I was at the big rebranding event that UPC held today and they're now offering 100Mb - hard to see a reason for picking anyone else :)

Well balls :( I just got the call back from UPC and they tell me there's no tubes in my area (I find this hard to fathom, but such is life).

So, I need options please people :)

DSL, according to Rory, is in need of an Exchange level upgrade.

Digiweb's Wireless stuff is a maybe, but my issues with Smart only started after they were bought by Digiweb, so I may just decline.

Imagine's WiMax is a joke having seen it in action in Blanchardstown and it never worked -the local mobile phone masts were the reason given, so how is it expected to cope with all the extra signal bouncing around the airwaves in the city? There's a thread about it here.

As an aside issue, how is it that there are areas in a population centre like Dublin that have dark ages telecoms tech? Why haven't they been upgraded as a matter of urgency? It's not like I'm living out in the sticks, James' St is a 5 mins walk from the city centre!

Well balls :( I just got the call back from UPC and they tell me there's no tubes in my area (I find this hard to fathom, but such is life).

So, I need options please people :)

DSL, according to Rory, is in need of an Exchange level upgrade.

Digiweb's Wireless stuff is a maybe, but my issues with Smart only started after they were bought by Digiweb, so I may just decline.

Imagine's WiMax is a joke having seen it in action in Blanchardstown and it never worked -the local mobile phone masts were the reason given, so how is it expected to cope with all the extra signal bouncing around the airwaves in the city? There's a thread about it here.

As an aside issue, how is it that there are areas in a population centre like Dublin that have dark ages telecoms tech? Why haven't they been upgraded as a matter of urgency? It's not like I'm living out in the sticks, James' St is a 5 mins walk from the city centre!

Its a distance from the exchange issue, the other user I checked was getting a solid 8Mb service (we dont actually know what you'll get until you have te service).

Well thanks to a most informative phone call from Rory, I've gone ahead and ordered the Magnet Force Max (24Mbps) product and we'll see what sort of realistic speeds I get from it. It's the same money as I'm paying now with Smart, so fingers crossed it'll provide more thump. I'll keep people up to date with how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

Well thanks to a most informative phone call from Rory, I've gone ahead and ordered the Magnet Force Max (24Mbps) product and we'll see what sort of realistic speeds I get from it. It's the same money as I'm paying now with Smart, so fingers crossed it'll provide more thump. I'll keep people up to date with how I get on.

Kharn, I had a similar problem with Smart Telecom, and again, the problem began when Digiweb took over. I signed up to Smart Telecom when there was no reference to a cap, fair usage etc .,. in the contract. Smart Telecom ammended the contract but did not inform me, but apparently, "my continued usage was deemed as acceptance" to an altered contract that I knew nothing about. It seems Smart Telecom have been applying that same backwards policy to most users to impose their FUP.

I changed to Magnet about 2 months ago - awesome broadband service. I am based in the CC and I receive 22-24 MB on a continuous basis. I have had no outages, nothing.

I was also having a problem with the line when I was with Smart Telecom - it would cut out about 5-10 times a day. Smart Telecom sent out one engineer to examine the line and said it could not be fixed - the change to Magnet fixed it.

So, in terms of speeds and service, so far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

Thanks for the info lads, sounds exactly like my experience with Smart, and also in city centre.
    Looks like magnet could be an option too.

Any update Kharn?

Advertisement