Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rediscovered my love of reading!

• 27-04-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello everybody,

Oooh first post!!

I've been hanging around here for the last few weeks reading a few logs and looking at reviews of books that people have read.

I used to read a lot as a child, often reading into the wee hours of the morning. I read everything from the back of the corn flakes box to the lord of the rings :) But I lost interest in secondary school, and I havent read an entire book from cover to cover in a good few years.

Anyways, I lost my job a few weeks ago and I have a lot of spare time on my hands so last week I joined my local library and have rediscovered the joy of reading.

So last week I borrowed

• Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
    • A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    I have read all of WH and I am almost finished ASHONE, so I am vey proud of myself :)

I hope to pop by here more often and certainly want to contribute to this forum :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Good for you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Indeed; it's always to good to hear of new readers!

If you're looking for some recommendations, or if you want to discuss and books or authors you've read, never hesitate to start a thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Well done. I just finished WH a few weeks ago myself, great book. Welcome to the forum. Some great recommendations for reading material from the knowledgeable forum members on here. Enjoy :)

Obviously when I say knowledgeable it's tongue in cheek!! :p :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Obviously when I say knowledgeable it's tongue in cheek!!

Coming from you it is. :p

(equally tongue in cheek :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Bookworm85 wrote: »
    • A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson
    I have read all of WH and I am almost finished ASHONE, so I am vey proud of myself :)

I hope to pop by here more often and certainly want to contribute to this forum :)

A Short History was a treat of a book to start back reading on. Beautifully written, very entertaining and highly informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

Sergeant wrote: »
    A Short History was a treat of a book to start back reading on. Beautifully written, very entertaining and highly informative.

It is a fantastic book. I'd recomend it to anybody who is in anyway interested in the world around us.

Its so easy to read and is just fascinating!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Congrats bookworm, your life will never be the same - I honestly can't comprehend a life without books. I'm studying at the moment and haven't been able to read as much as I'd like, but look forward to sitting down with a book in the evening.
    It is a fantastic book. I'd recomend it to anybody who is in anyway interested in the world around us.

I absolutely agree, one of my favourite books - opened up popular science to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You should start a reading log too - I find the reading logs a great way of adding to my already oppressive list of "things I want to read when..."!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Well done! I cannot say how much of a joy reading is to me. It has kept me going through many tough times, you can just lose yourself in a book.

Let us know what you are reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭sporina

another fantastic book is Sophie's choice..by William Styron.. i would highly recommended it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Sergeant wrote: »

Hmmm, why have I never read this?! I've always enjoyed Bill Brysons style and read so many of his travel books at one point that I OD'd a little.

I might have to relapse.:)

Advertisement