Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Share (but not living there full-time)

Options
  • 27-04-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm living at home at the moment but I'm thinking of looking to rent a room in the local town for the summer (12 miles away). Reason for this is, parents are going to be away for the summer and I will be taking care of our family home but I'm not looking forward to getting a taxi home to an empty house on sat nights etc, also it'd be great to have somewhere to stay if I went out with friends mid-week so I could have a drink or two. These days I usually just have a mineral and then drive home or talk nicely to someone at home to pick me up.

My worry is that people will think I am odd looking to rent and then saying I won't be there full-time and just staying an odd night a week. I would be up front and say I won't be there full time.

Would love to hear some opinions before I start looking on daft!

Thanks a mil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

personally id thnk thats an awfull waste of money and would probably be cheaper to stay in a b&b or hotel after a night out. but if your flush with cash hell do what you like

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

Definitely not flush with cash! A single room to rent is 120 per month. A taxi to my house is 35. So in the month if I went out once a week which I do it'd be pretty much the same amount just a lot more freedom.

The money issue really isn't what I was looking for opinions on more would people mind sharing with someone who's not there a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

To be honest i'd be wary of letting a room in a house share to someone who would only be there a couple of times a month. While it sounds good at first, ie more space in common areas for the others, how do you plan on splitting the bills. 120 quid a month can easily turn into 250 with bills added on. theres two sides to the argument, why should you split a bill if youre not there, and why should the other tenants cover your electricity and heating bills for the time you are there. There is also the issue of the fact that the only time you'll be there is when youve had a few scoops and are just looking for somewhere to crash.

Is there no option to just stay with a mate in the town after your nights out and drive back the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Really sounds like a waste of money and effort to be honest just to have a few pints....surely a hotel or even a youth hostel would be cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

myxi wrote: »
    A single room to rent is 120 per month.
    Where? :confused:

EDIT, OK deepest rural Mayo maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

myxi wrote: »
    The money issue really isn't what I was looking for opinions on more would people mind sharing with someone who's not there a lot.
    Wouldn't care, once they paid their share of the bills, and not moan about not being there somehow means they'll pay less bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

the_syco wrote: »
    Wouldn't care, once they paid their share of the bills, and not moan about not being there somehow means they'll pay less bills.
    the only problem is the bill sharing, say if you are there only two nights a week, it means you will not be cooking, using washing machine, shower, heating, then again if you have a chat with the other people in the house, you could all come to some arrangement,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

the_syco wrote: »

I agree with this. As long as the person is paying their rent and bills, they can stay 7 nights a week or 0 nights a week. In fact, the less they are there the better! :)

Advertisement