Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks - which pubs?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Can Smithwick's still be found in most pubs in Galway or is it only certain pubs these days?

Gone be the days where it was in most if not all pubs.

Also, you never see ads for Smithwick's anymore on the telly either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

You'll find it in the vast majority of pubs.

Also, you never see ads for Smithwick's anymore on the telly either.

Yeah, but the World Cup is just over the horizon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I think it's been re-introduced.
    10 years ago there were only a handful of pubs in the town centre which still did Smithwicks.
    I know Roisin's has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

<-- Smithy drinker here

It's recently been rebranded, with new glasses & logo inside the last 6 months.

Most pubs have it, offhand those where I've recently imbibed the ruby red refresher include, but aren't limited to:

The Dáil Bar
    The Front Door
    Busker Browns
    Neachtains
    Roisin Dubhs
    Kellys
    The Town House
    The Spanish Arch
    The Blue Note

I can't think of anywhere I've been in the last year that didn't have it when I asked.

Mmmm... you've given me a thirst sir...

400px-Smithwick%27s_billboard_NYC_May_2005_Wikipedia.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Get a guiness head...

nyom

I drink the delicious red liquid also!

I think its in every pub in Galway, The only pub that didn't have it was Bazzar but since it changed to The Townhouse it now has it. You wont get it in cp's or Halo but sure most are on the shorts in the night clubs anyway.

Its very different in Cork a lot of pubs don't have it and its a right pain. It is appearing in more pubs now though (because I'm living here no doubt :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

ntlbell wrote: »
    Get a guiness head...

nyom

Pint of Special

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I never noticed it going away but yeah it's been rebranded. I was hoping this thread would be about where to get a "nice" pint of it. I am partial to the occasional pint of red but it's hard to get a consistent quality I find. But the same is true about most of the lager sold in Irish pubs and there's much more of that sold....

gandroid wrote: »
    I never noticed it going away but yeah it's been rebranded. I was hoping this thread would be about where to get a "nice" pint of it. I am partial to the occasional pint of red but it's hard to get a consistent quality I find. But the same is true about most of the lager sold in Irish pubs and there's much more of that sold....

You can't really say where it's going to be nice.

it will always be nice when there's a few people drinking it in the place.

If there's no run on the pipes it won't be great.

jenno86 wrote: »
    Pint of Special

I was down in Galway this weekend, finding bar staff that could pour it correctly wasn't easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭catmelodian

I'm not sure if Halo sells Smithwicks.

CPs didn't before it was done up (not sure now), but they use to serve Bass, which is an acceptable Smithwicks substitute when you already have 10 pints in you.

• Advertisement

You can't really say where it's going to be nice.

it will always be nice when there's a few people drinking it in the place.

If there's no run on the pipes it won't be great.

Obviously! Just like any other beer. I was wondering where there would be a decent amount of it consumed. Some places also look after their lines better.

Obviously! Just like any other beer. I was wondering where there would be a decent amount of it consumed. Some places also look after their lines better.

A pub where there will be a lot of smithwichs drinkers roughly around the time you'll be there..

good luck with that :D

A pub where there will be a lot of smithwichs drinkers roughly around the time you'll be there..good luck with that :D

That's really helpful. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

He has a point tbh, the only way you'll know if its good or not is if there are others drinking it. They can't be cleaning the pipes mid keg (afaik at least) so if there's no one drinking it you're stuck. Personally never drink smithwicks out now, prefer macardle's anyways.

the only way you'll know if its good or not is if there are others drinking it.

Yes I know, which is what I said/agreed with...most people know what was stated. All I was asking was if anyone could recommend a nice pint of the red stuff in Galway, as I only drink it occasionally and even then just 2-3. You often hear that you can get a lovely pint of X in pub Y etc. so that was all I was wondering about...

It doesn't really matter that much, just didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

I'll just have to go on a Smithwicks session trying one pint in several pubs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The taste graph will be independent of what pub you're in after pint #3

It'll get steadily tastier up to pint #9 or so, when there'll be a sharp falloff culminating in utter revulsion by pint #14

The taste graph will be independent of what pub you're in after pint #3

It'll get steadily tastier up to pint #9 or so, when there'll be a sharp falloff culminating in utter revulsion by pint #14

LOL! :) I was thinking the same thing...again...part of the reason I asked if anyone knew where to get a good one regulary! The first 2-3 are the only ones you'll notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

My mate always used to say the Smithwicks in Red Square was the best in Galway. But we haven't gone there in about 4 years so probably a different story now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Yes I know, which is what I said/agreed with...most people know what was stated. All I was asking was if anyone could recommend a nice pint of the red stuff in Galway, as I only drink it occasionally and even then just 2-3. You often hear that you can get a lovely pint of X in pub Y etc. so that was all I was wondering about...

It doesn't really matter that much, just didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

Well if it helps, stay away from the Galway Arms.

In general I find Smithwicks to be fairly ok in most pubs. Even a fairly bad pint is drinkable in comparison to say a bad pint of Guinness.

TO answer the question above. In my opinion you are fairly sure of a good pint in Garavans. It varies from pub to pub and from night to night,but if you wanted me to pick a pub where i would be confident of a good pint I would say Garavans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Give Galway Hooker a try. In most pubs down the west. Top stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

I really like dark Galway Hooker but it's rare around the place :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 feargswalsh69

Fine pint waitin for ya if you're willing to travel...........the boat inn oughterard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

The King's Head has it, got my first ever pint of Smithwick's there. Not for me I'm afraid, tasted nice at first but didn't like it as it went on. Maybe I'll give it a try at some later stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fernandovargas

had an aul pint of it in kilorans alst night:) oh yowl:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The Skeff, O'Connells, Garveys & Morgans all have the smith wicks :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The King's Head has it, got my first ever pint of Smithwick's there. Not for me I'm afraid, tasted nice at first but didn't like it as it went on. Maybe I'll give it a try at some later stage :)

Absolutely ANY draught I've gotten in King's Head has been rotten. I don't know if they never clean their pipes or what, but I never drink there as a result.

kraggy wrote: »
    Absolutely ANY draught I've gotten in King's Head has been rotten. I don't know if they never clean their pipes or what, but I never drink there as a result.

+1 on this. I wouldn't base your opinion of Smithwicks on what you got in the Kings head. I haven't tried kelly's but the living room was another pub where I could never got a decent pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lads I don't think I have gone into a pub without Smithwicks in Galway or nearly anywhere,even GPO had it.
    Morgan's does a good pint,also they have Galway Hooker on tap,a nice new tap in there. Must try it I've heard good things about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

greetings wrote: »
    Lads I don't think I have gone into a pub without Smithwicks in Galway or nearly anywhere,even GPO had it.
    Morgan's does a good pint,also they have Galway Hooker on tap,a nice new tap in there. Must try it I've heard good things about it.

Have you tasted the new Galway Hooker Pilsner in the Salt House (and probably a few other places in town)? It's the nicest lager I've tasted in a long time!

And about the King's Head taps, really? I thought the Guinness and Budweiser there were pretty top notch!

Advertisement