Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jeans that aren't skinny!

• 27-04-2010 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I'm absolutely sick of seeing skinny jeans everywhere, it seems like they're the only ones available anywhere at the moment! Topshop used to do really nice fitting jeans a few years ago, but I was in there a while ago and they literally only have skinny jeans now. Where can I get a nice pair of jeans for a decent price in Dublin? It's gotten to the point where I've been wearing dresses and skirts since December now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

Try noname they do ones for €21 but not sure of anywhere else........

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I too am sick of nothing but skinny jeans in the shops.

I'd have a look in Next if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Next and Dorothy perkins do a wide range of styles and they're quite affordable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Beffy wrote: »
    I too am sick of nothing but skinny jeans in the shops.
    Same here, I like skinny jeans but I have huge trouble finding a pair that fit me properly because I've got quite muscular legs. Instead, I tend to go for River Island slouch and boyfriend jeans or A-Wear kickflare jeans (be careful with length, they run quite long).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Topshop's Ella jeans are fantastic. They are a flare and flattering on most body types. Try Gap's Long and Lean also http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48595&vid=1&pid=673952&scid=673952002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Cook!eMonster

Try new look, the bootcut jeans start at twelve euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭belle_09

Have a look in Awear. They usually have a good selection of different styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Another vote for A-wear!

next had a nice range of styles when I was in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Jean Junction have loads of styles. They are reasonably priced also.

I only know of the Jean Junction shop in Mullingar, so I don't know what their other stores are like, sorry.

Also, some of the high-street stores (New Look, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, etc) have various styles of jeans on their websites, which they may not have in stores. I know in my local New Look and Dorothy Perkins, they don't have 1/4 the stuff that is on the website. I don't know if buying online is an option for you.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Try Dorothy Perkins they have a great range of jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

Topshop have loads of styles? There's bootcut, boyfriend, flare, and skinny flare if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Was just about to suggest A-Wear but I see it's been mentioned quite a few times already. It's a lifesaver for me as it's where I get all my jeans. They've always got a nice selection of styles in and always have some sort of boot cut jeans! :)

I find that the short ones suit me if I want to wear flat shoes/runners with them and that the regular ones are best for wearing with heels (I'm 5'3", if that's any help).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

H&M are very good for jeans. Also GAP in Arnotts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

I get my jeans in New Look. They've loads of styles, each of which comes in about four different lengths and a few different shades of blue/black/grey. Plus they're really cheap - usually about é12 up to about é25.

Edited to say: they also have jeans made of that really thin denim so they're not as bulky/chunky as normal jeans - it feels more like wearing a pair of trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Thanks for the replies! I'm not a fan of New Look jeans to be honest, they rarely do them long enough for me, and when they do they're usually shapeless. I used to buy my jeans in AWear but the same thing applies now. I think I'm just gonna give up and be doomed to a life of skirts and dresses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hunnybee

I hate buying jeans. I have the Irish boned big ass- small waist- normal legs and it is so difficult to get jeans that look nice on me. I tend to get jeans if I am in New York and pay abit for them- still cheaper than here though!. I don't bother with High Street shops for jeans anymore- had enough of trying on skinny jeans that I think will fit and they won't go past my knee and break into a sweat trying to get them off. I did however get a few pairs in TopShop or the Pepe shop on Wicklow Street is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭triny

Im a big fan of A|wear but like u say theyve changed shape lately, what i tend to do now is bring a few diff sizes of whatever jeans i like into the changing room and try them that way! And if one pair fits, i get them in a diff colour r that! Try veromoda if that doesnt work for ya! Ther jeans r sooo comfy! And they do half sizes! Happy days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Tip on the A|wear jeans...buy them a size smaller if possible, they are a mix of about 2% elastic in them, so they will stretch after a day or two of wear and will be perfect then! Have customers looking at me strange when I recommend this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Hmmm A-Wear sizes are odd I don't find the 34 a 34 at all more a 32!! OP if you need longer than a 34 try Littlewoods. They have jeans in L which is a 34 & XL which must be a 36!! I got some in their sales at x-mas down from €29.00 to 9 or 7 euro.

If your a size 8-10 I have a blue slight kickflare pair I got in XL their either an 8 or a 10, think I might have took the tags off them but never wore then cos even with heels on me they are tooo long, if you'd like to give the littlewoods ones a test whirl you could pop an SAE in the post to me & I'd send them onto you. I was gonna give them a few washes to get the length down a bit butt ahh can't be bothered now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Oasis Scarlet jeans are brilliant i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Bootcut jeans in Gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

ams wrote: »
    Oasis Scarlet jeans are brilliant i find.

Second this!

I want to get another pair but I don't like jeans that aren't a solid dark colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Second this!

I want to get another pair but I don't like jeans that aren't a solid dark colour.

I managed to get a dark pair on ebay last year for 25e - they just had the little tag on the pocket cut out. I love just knowing they will fit me as the cut doesnt change!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Twee. wrote: »
    Topshop's Ella jeans are fantastic. They are a flare and flattering on most body types. Try Gap's Long and Lean also http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=48595&vid=1&pid=673952&scid=673952002

I looked at these and thought they looked perfect, they come in my exact measurments but read the reviews down the bottom and they dont fair well. Do you have a pair?

I don't have a pair, but I work in Tophsop. I always recommend them to customers and they always love them! Even though they're flared, they're a skinny flare, so they only kick out from under the knee. The dark, flat colour makes you look slimmer and taller. One of our best selling cuts actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

I cant wear skinny jeans at all. But I find I can wear straight leg, got a gorgeous pair in Dorothy Perkins at the weekend.
    +1 for new look bootcut jeans, cant go wrong for 12e.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Twee. wrote: »
    I don't have a pair, but I work in Tophsop. I always recommend them to customers and they always love them! Even though they're flared, they're a skinny flare, so they only kick out from under the knee. The dark, flat colour makes you look slimmer and taller. One of our best selling cuts actually.

Sorry Twee, I meant the Gap ones.

Sorry Twee, I meant the Gap ones.

Oh! Sorry! Well, I DO have the Long and Leans, and my mam has two pairs! We both love them, she's 50 and a size 14 and they look fab on her, I'm 20 and a size 10 and they look fab on me!
    They do the same job as the Ella, make you look longer and leaner. I fully endorse these jeans! They come in a few washes as well, but I'd recommend a flat, dark colour to get the best out of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

I may be a bit late jumping on this thread, but was about to start a new one which might already have been answered here...

Out of all the recommendations above, are there any that are particularly flattering on a big butt / thighs? I've learned to accept at this age of my life that I am always gonna have a butt and thighs disproportionately big to the rest of my body (i'm a size 10 on top but 12 down below) and can't even consider getting into skinny jeans, I'd have the most awful carrot top legs *shudder*

Until now I've always stuck with getting flare / boot cut jeans in a 12 or even a 14 to be loose over my thighs. But I was watching Gok Wan the other night (god bless 'im) and he was recommending to a woman with similar legs to me to wear jeans which were tight fitting over the bum and thighs but slightly elasticated, so they pulled the thighs in and the bum up. It's true my arse always does look pretty saggy in the loose jeans I wear (sob).

So, although I still don't think the skinny leg look will ever work for me, I'd like to try a pair like the above which would hopefully be a bit more flattering / formal - when I wear jeans currently, they're really casual & sloppy.

I'm going to the states next week so could get some over there if there are better options, and don't mind shelling out a bit if necessary, maybe up to 100 quid ish.

Any suggestions? Cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Second this!

They have them in light too now- I bought a dark pair and a light pair last week. Love them.

OP, I am right with you on the skinny jeans thing. I look ridiculous and feel really uncomfortable in them and they're everywhere. I used to love french connection jeans but can't afford them these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

I may be a bit late jumping on this thread, but was about to start a new one which might already have been answered here...

Out of all the recommendations above, are there any that are particularly flattering on a big butt / thighs? I've learned to accept at this age of my life that I am always gonna have a butt and thighs disproportionately big to the rest of my body (i'm a size 10 on top but 12 down below) and can't even consider getting into skinny jeans, I'd have the most awful carrot top legs *shudder*

Until now I've always stuck with getting flare / boot cut jeans in a 12 or even a 14 to be loose over my thighs. But I was watching Gok Wan the other night (god bless 'im) and he was recommending to a woman with similar legs to me to wear jeans which were tight fitting over the bum and thighs but slightly elasticated, so they pulled the thighs in and the bum up. It's true my arse always does look pretty saggy in the loose jeans I wear (sob).

So, although I still don't think the skinny leg look will ever work for me, I'd like to try a pair like the above which would hopefully be a bit more flattering / formal - when I wear jeans currently, they're really casual & sloppy.

I'm going to the states next week so could get some over there if there are better options, and don't mind shelling out a bit if necessary, maybe up to 100 quid ish.

It sound like you're the exact shape as me. A lot of my jeans are fairly casual too. I really hate shopping for jeans. Topshop did a great pair a while back, I don't know the specific name but they were slightly elasticated but made with thick denim. I think the trick with elasticated jeans is too make sure they're not too elastic on the ass/thighs or too thin because they'll just cling to every crevice. Personally, I think Oasis are the best for jeans these days. I've also found really nice ones in the Jasper Conran/ John Rocha shops in Debenhams.

If you're going to the states, shell out on a dressy pair in esprit, Really cheap compared to here and they have so many different shapes/styles. American eagle outfitters also do nice jeans, if not a bit casual. I noticed in the States that the leg lengths are really long (I have very short legs) so keep this in mind. Also, you could be lucky finding designer jeans in Filene's basement/ century 21 - I got my fave pair ever (CK) over there and 2 years on, they're still in shape. ($60)

I've seen these in Pamela Scott, but haven't tried them on or anything, but Not Your Daughter's Dreams look pretty good. http://www.nydj.com/#/home/ There's loads of cheesey testimonials on the site, but when you actually look at the jeans, they look pretty nice. Long zips and dark washes. They seem to retail for about $100.

Look at the tag on all jeans you try on and see the make up of the fabric. You want something with spandex or elastic in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

I live in France and its a nightmare getting jeans here, they dont do waist above 26 inches and they are all 34 inch in length. Its so true, French girls can get away with the skinny jean look as they have no curves, but it looks so odd on majority of Irish girls as most Irish girls have curves. So I always have to buy my jeans when I am back in Dublin.

For cheaper jeans I buy mine in the Diesel Shop Suffolk st. (im not sure if its the same is normal diesel brand, but that doesnt bother me). They do different styles of jeans by waist and length. Around 50euros.

For more expensive jeans 100 euros (or same jeans during sales 50 euros) I shop in Arnotts and BT2. I buy Pepe and tommy jeans. I dont really care about the brand and just want jeans that fit me and I am willing to spend more money on jeans that fit perfectly. I got fed up with the likes of topshop jeans and other high st. jeans showing flesh and builders bum everytime i sat down. Id pay whatever it takes not to go for that look.

I also bought a pair of Lee Cooper Jeans on m&m direct. Not bought anything from the website in few years, but the jeans fit me perfectly waist and length despite ordering from online and not trying them on before hand.
    http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductList.aspx?Filter=1|Womens|5|Jeans&a=resetsearch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Er, Topshop, River Island, Gap, Zara, AWear all carry a variety of jeans ranging from bootleg to skinny to hipster to straight to boyfriend, flared, tall, petite etc so basically all the cuts. Even the likes of Penney's has straight cut and bootcut jeans so I'm not sure how you're only finding skinny jeans, there's a huge selection available in most high street stores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭CamillaRhodes

Cheers for the advice, all.

MissHoneyBun, you're right, I could go round town (and San Francisco) and try on every style of jeans in every store in multiple sizes and I probably would find some which flatter my shape, but ain't it easier, time-economical and more sociable to ask for suggestions on here? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hunnybee

I bought this pair in Bloomingdales in March..http://www.paigepremiumdenim.com/Womens_Laurel_Canyon__Shipwreck/pd/np/16/p/40000783.html I never heard of this brand before. I went in to get Seven jeans, but the legs were way too long and I thought JBrand were very plain. They're a nice fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I'm absolutely sick of seeing skinny jeans everywhere, it seems like they're the only ones available anywhere at the moment! they literally only have skinny jeans now.

I wasn't actually responding to you at all Camilla but to the OP's above post, which is what the thread is about -skinny jeans. Hence my post is in relation to -skinny jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep, A Wear have lovely fit and flare jeans with stretch in them as well, nice fit for people like me with somewhat of an ass :D

Advertisement