Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scatter Plots

• 27-04-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi Time,

Monster Question for you. I dont know if this is possible but basically I have some time series data and I basically need to present it as a 3D graph with my dependent var , independent var and the time.

Can it be done in STATA or on any other UCD program you know of????

This one has me stumped!!! and I didnt know who else to turn to.

regards

Chave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Dependent on the 'Y' axis, explanatory variable on the 'X' axis, each mark on the scatter plot refers to a point in time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭chave

Dependent on the 'Y' axis, explanatory variable on the 'X' axis, each mark on the scatter plot refers to a point in time?

The 2D scatter plot is useless for me. I am aware that each plot refers to a point in time but can I report what that point in time is on a third axis, giving me a 3D representation of it???

regards

Chave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

chave wrote: »
    Hi Time,
    Lol, I know I'm a pretty big deal and all, but there are other people on the Economics forum :pac:
    Monster Question for you. I dont know if this is possible but basically I have some time series data and I basically need to present it as a 3D graph with my dependent var , independent var and the time.

Can it be done in STATA or on any other UCD program you know of????
    You could always write program to produce a pretty picture in R :). Or, if you don't have six weeks to learn a computer language, I suggest you make a simple 3D graph in Excel.
    This one has me stumped!!! and I didnt know who else to turn to.
    Is there no tutor for the course or anything?

Best of luck.

Lol, I know I'm a pretty big deal and all, but there are other people on the Economics forum :pac:

You could always write program to produce a pretty picture in R :). Or, if you don't have six weeks to learn a computer language, I suggest you make a simple 3D graph in Excel.

Is there no tutor for the course or anything?

Best of luck.

Thats exactly what I need. God Id love to use R, that looks quality (drool). I need this graph for friday unfortunately so looks like ill be doing without. Theres no tutors really.

Whats the Excel 3D graph like? is it anything like the one from R?? stupid question i know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

chave wrote: »
    Whats the Excel 3D graph like? is it anything like the one from R?? stupid question i know.

It kind of sucks. Excel doesn't actually do 3D graphs (at least in the x-axis/y-axis/z-axis sense), but you can simulate them to an extent. This guy's website has a good example:
    http://andypope.info/index.htm

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

For what its worth for people who dig this thread up in future; there's a package for R called Rcmdr. It's a GUI for R which, amongst other things (of which I have no comprehension), lets you plot snazzy looking 3D graphs real easily. They look like this: http://imgur.com/ggPXC.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Anyone else think their should be an "Official Statitical Software Thread" where all these tips could be collated. I think it would make a good reference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Anyone else think their should be an "Official Statitical Software Thread" where all these tips could be collated. I think it would make a good reference.

A post in the 'Economics Resources' thread would probably be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

nah

• Advertisement
Advertisement