Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bars in Yonkers

Options
  • 27-04-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm going over to NY at the start of June with a friend looking for some work. We both have been working in pubs for many years. Does anyone know of any Irish bars that would be realitively busy that might be hiring, or even sports bars that will get people in for the world cup???

Any help would be great....thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Yonkers/Woodlawn is J1 central and the first stop for many Irish moving to New York. Below is a list of the main Irish bars in that area. If you are legal i'd suggest the city as that place will be swamped in the summer. If you can play football that might help.

http://www.murphguide.com/irish.htm#Westchester

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There is a good amount of Irish pubs along McLean Ave in the Bronx check that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 churcher

Cheers folks thanks! I'm going to send emails to them all and hope for the best! I heard that theres an irish bar up beside the gaelic grounds and that they are good for work....anyone know of the irish bar(s) around there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Woodside and Queens also have vibrant Irish communities, don't forget around there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

churcher wrote: »
    Cheers folks thanks! I'm going to send emails to them all and hope for the best! I heard that theres an irish bar up beside the gaelic grounds and that they are good for work....anyone know of the irish bar(s) around there?

Go to the Bronx section of the website above and look for bars in Riverdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

Just saw this article online today. Sounds like it would be what you're looking for!

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/05/02/2010-05-02_for_the_irish_career_help_flows_at_pub.html

And you'd be better off working in Manhattan - I don't understand why Irish people abroad always try and bury themselves in the Irish community rather than experiencing the local life. I mean, if you're emigrating that's one thing - it can be a source of comfort or support - but if you're only over for three months you ought to be hanging out in Harlem or Koreatown. Expand those horizons!

Advertisement