Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help i'm being forced on to a 3 day week

Options
  • 27-04-2010 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi i'm just looking for some advice about being forced on to a 3 day week.
    My employer had told me he is putting me on a 3 day week or leave without redundancy.
    So my question is can he do this and if not what can i do about it.

Thank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 7 punkerrandboy

if you have 104 weeks service you are entitled to redundancy pay under law - even if your employer says otherwise. You can be put on a 3 day week, its called SHORT time. If after 4 weeks you are still on short time you can ask for redundancy if you would prefer that. Other than that you should consider joining a trade union.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gerryman

Hi thanks for your advice so far.I came across this piece of information on the Citizens Information wedsite and im wondering does it apply to me.
    Being asked to reduce your pay or hours of work

When your employer has a downturn in business or there is less work for you to do, your employer may ask you to take a pay cut or to work fewer hours. You should consider this request very carefully. If your employer's business activity is reduced, this may mean that if you don’t accept a reduction in your working hours or pay you may lose your job due to redundancy.

I think this is also relevant.

If you do not agree and say you wish to continue working as before your employer may decide to make you redundant. If you are dismissed in this way, you may qualify to bring a claim for unfair dismissal. Unless your employer can prove there was a genuine redundancy situation and that fair procedures were followed, this dismissal may be found to be unfair.
    If your employer insists on reducing your working hours or pay you may also consider that you have no choice but to leave your job and claim unfair dismissal. This type of dismissal is known as constructive dismissal, because although you left the job, the employer forced you to leave by his/her actions. Before exercising this option, however, you should always seek detailed legal advice as proving constructive dismissal can often be difficult. Alternatively, you could refer the dispute to a Rights Commissioner in the hope of resolving the matter, and thus avoid the necessity for you to leave the job. As the attempts made by the employee to resolve a grievance before resigning are always relevant in an unfair dismissal claim involving constructive dismissal, this may be the wisest course of action.

So do you think i could go down this rout before waiting 4 weeks on short time.

My background is i have worked for the same company for 4 years now and i was on short time twice last year.

Thanks again for any forthcoming info.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gerryman

Hi all so can i say flat out no to a 3 day week and apply for redundancy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Keep in mind redundancy is only paid after two years in the same company though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Better have a look here to get an idea what you would be looking at for redundancy.

http://www.redcalc.entemp.ie/

Advertisement