Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork Boards Spin?

• 27-04-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭

Is there a cork boards spin? If so where and when does it usually happen. If not....does anyone fancy doing a few spins? :pac:

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

St. Finbarrs CC last Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

jdt101 wrote: »
    St. Finbarrs CC last Saturday

What ever happened to the famous St. Finbarrs wednsday's morning spins???:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭Anzer123

Nice video! Going to head to the Summer League on Thursday, but would love a midweek spin in the morning as well! Im just outside the city on the Limerick side if anyone fancies meeting up for a spin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

Would be well up for meeting up with a few of ye for a Cork Boards Spin, just a few miles east of the city myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

They are still going strong

• Advertisement

Can i rope anyone into a spin sunday or monday morning starting some place handy, maybe in the city seeming we have a long weekend?

murf85 wrote: »
    Can i rope anyone into a spin sunday or monday morning starting some place handy, maybe in the city seeming we have a long weekend?

Id be up for the Monday mornin option....meeting in town suits as well....

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

murf85 wrote: »

Might tag along with ye lads

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    Might tag along with ye lads

nice 1! What time suits yiz?

Maybe 9 or 10am? Not too early not too late. Which ever suits is cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Me and my buddy were going for a spin from town on monday morning anyways.- 3-4 hours easy(ish) maybe- does this sound like the sort of spin ye had in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oilcanharry

Hey Lads, Cool video, one small thing though. Might be a good idea to wear helmets if you are going to promote your club on the internet with videos showing speeds of 59kph. Shows a more responsible attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Hey Lads, Cool video, one small thing though. Might be a good idea to wear helmets if you are going to promote your club on the internet with videos showing speeds of 59kph. Shows a more responsible attitude.

I'm a member, but not in the video. The guy with the camera is wearing a helmet, as do I, always wear a helmet and most of the club. If some guys wish to cycle without a helmet, that is their own decision. As a club we promote safe cycling and strongly encourage the use of helmets at all times.

P.S. if one does crash at this speed or above, a helmet will not be very effective in preventing serious injury, some posted studies suggest that they may even increase you injury at such speed. However I will continue to use a helmet at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 oilcanharry

@jdt, As a member of a local club, we do not allow any rider to go on club spins without a helmet. However as you say, adults have to make their own decisions about their personal safety.

You could be right regarding the level of protection offered by a helmet in the event of a serious crash. I know that I would rather take my chances and wear the helmet.

Keep cycling and enjoy the weekend.

papac wrote: »
    Me and my buddy were going for a spin from town on monday morning anyways.- 3-4 hours easy(ish) maybe- does this sound like the sort of spin ye had in mind.
    3-4 hours sounds like a plan, was hoping to get in a decent enough spin this weekend before the 160km next weekend in midleton..
    Will we say monday morning so? 9ish? Maybe at the city hall or parnell place or something?

sounds good

3-4 hours sounds like a plan, was hoping to get in a decent enough spin this weekend before the 160km next weekend in midleton..
    Will we say monday morning so? 9ish? Maybe at the city hall or parnell place or something?

Also going for 160 in Midleton. 9ish outside bike shop in Parnell Place sounds good but will have to talk to my buddy.Weather looks good for Monday-Sunny but coldish.

. Any route ideas??? I was half thinking of the back road to Macroom through Dripsey and Coachford. Its about 80k round trip along the Lee valley on country roads.Could stick on a few km if the legs are good.
    I am easy though if anyone has any other ideas.(Main roads might be better if there's a good size bunch)

EDIT. Spoke to my training partner. We are definitely leaving from Parnell Place at nine on Monday morning.

Im in for for 9. im easy on the route also ....see yiz tomoro! :)

Just to make sure now,we are saying 9 at parnell place yeah? Cool looking forward to it.the more the merrier eh..see ye then!

we are saying 9 at parnell place yeah?

Roger that.:)

• Advertisement

papac wrote: »
    Roger that.:)

1o-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

How did this go guys, where did ye go? Pity I wasn't back in Cork for the weekend, had to make do with a few sessions in the gym to keep myself ticking over for the 160k next weekend.

How did this go guys, where did ye go?

Nice spin. 4 people in the end. 100 and odd km out past Macroom on the quiet back roads.. Lovely sunny day. Must organize some more.

Couldn't make it Monday morning. Hopefully will be able to join in on future spins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

As a matter of interest, what sort of pace was this? I'm getting my first road bike next week and while I'll be a long way from being able to cycle 100k in one day for quite a long time, I wonder what sort of target speed I should be getting before getting involved in one of these 'spins'?

what sort of pace was this?

Just under 26kmph. (I couldn't figure out my new computer until last night and nobody else had one).

A group will always be faster than an individual even if they are not (as was the case on monday)organized and working together for pace.
    while I'll be a long way from being able to cycle 100k in one day for quite a long time, I wonder what sort of target speed I should be getting before getting involved in one of these 'spins'?

Any healthy person can train up to 100k in a few months. Less if you have some level of fitness from some other activity.(Or have been cycling a bit already).

Pace is very much dependant on route and wind conditions. I wouldn't get too hung up on it.If I had to put a figure on it I would say if you could do part of that route (dripsey-coachford-macroom) in the low twenties -on your own on a still-ish day- you'd be grand.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Well, that's something to aim for. I'll start slow, but it'd be nice to get up to spin pace within a couple of months.

Advertisement