If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many 32 inch tvs - which one to go for???

Options
  • 27-04-2010 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

John & Ash,

I'm thinking about replacing a 5 year old philips crt with a newer slimmer lcd/led, mpeg 4 ready tv. However, you aren't making the decision any easier with the multitude of models in stock/coming soon. My head is more than a little in a spin with the whole lcd/led/3D tv debate. Is lcd going the way of crt? IS LED a fad until 3D takes over? As you can see, I'm confused (happens at my age) so I'd like some advice on which model 32inch tv would suit, i.e. this tv will be for a family room (daily diet of soaps, cartoons :rolleyes:) so nothing too high end is needed (I'll save that for when I replace the 46 inch samsung in "Dad's Cave" later this year:D).

I noticed in another thread that you were selling off the last of the 32inch 7404 models (bought a 42inch 7404 for my parents from you in February and they're delighted with it) but you also mentioned that a newer model tv due out soon would have better contrast ratio, sound etc. So can you advise which tv would make the better purchase bearing in mind the following:

- 32 inch size - lcd/led which is better?

- mpeg 4 tuner a must

- mid range tv would suffice (i.e. goodies like ambilight etc are welcome but not necessary)

While I wouldn't claim to be your best customer, I have bought a 46 inch Samsung lcd tv, an Onkyo 875 av amp, 5.1 Monitor audio speakers, Humax Freesat HDR and a Philips 42 inch 7404 from you since July 2008. So I'm one of your better customers ;):D and I'd appreciate a good if not great deal on this tv.

Thanks

David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Dave

32" TV's? - well I can help you out here no worries...

I'll clear one thing up - its a little pet hate of mine:mad:......

There is NO SUCH THING as a consumer LED TV despite what S****** or L* may tell you or say they are selling you...
    There are of course those hugh LED displays found in Sports grounds and at the top of Grafton street but not the sort of thing you'd want to put in your house!

LED's are replacing the CCFL traditionally found in LCD TV's as a light source. This new backlighting tech brings a few advantages to the game, namely lower power consumption and greater contrast ratio's to name two.

I just wish other retailers, dealers and companies would stop calling them LED TV's - confuses and misleads folks...ahh feel better with that off my chest!

3D probably wont find its way into 32" screen sizes for a little while yet, it seems better suited to the larger screen sizes. I'd say when 3D games/console hit the market there may be more of a demand for smaller 3D sets.
    So keep saving to replace that 46" of yours:)

All our new range of TV's will have the MPEG 4 tuner on board

As far as the 32PFL7404H offer goes, I've sold out of these BUT Philips may have a handful remaining but you'd best act quick if this is the set you want - they wont be around much longer.

I should have the brand spanking new LED Edge-Lit LCD TV, the 32PFL7605H in next week
    See spec here -

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/3/32pfl7605h_05/32pfl7605h_05_pss_eng.pdf

As you can see its a very well spec'd TV, Pixel Precise HD, 100Hz refresh rate and 2ms response time and now includes NET TV and Ambilight amoungst its features.

This TV will sell for €899.99 and I'd say its going to be an impressive TV

You may also want to consider the new 32PFL5605H - another new LED Edge-Lit LCD TV
    Spec -
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/32pfl5605h_05_ss_eng.pdf

This TV features 100Hz refresh rate/2ms response time and uses Pixel Plus HD but does away with Ambilight and Net TV.
    This TV will come in at €699.99.

We have the 40" version and I have to say the new series TV's certainly have raised their game, so I expect good things from the 32" model.

I'll post up in my threads for the new 5 and 7 when I have 'em in stock - early May seems to be the eta for both.

Hopefully the above info is of some help to you - and doesnt confuse you more.

Oh one final thing - I like the sound of "Daves Cave" is that a seperate AV room/cinema room/games room type thing??

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Beezkneez!

Hi Guys,

Also looking at 32" LCD options.
    Thinking about PHILIPS 32PFL5405H. Any ideas when this will be available? Looks great - 100hz and full HD - that'll do nicely.

Thanks!

Hi Beezkneez

Have a look here for updates-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055893571

the 325PFL5405H is due to be released end of May/early June and should sell for €599.99

I'll see the 32PFL5605H in before then - same general spec but uses LED Edge-Lit LCD tech over the 5405H CCFL backlighting so has a greater contrast ratio

Cheers
    Ash

Apologies - just read in your 5 series thread they wont be available until end of May. Moving into new apartment in the next few days - with the amount of LCDs out there i finally made my mind up on this one as it has everything i wanted - looks like ill just have to wait.

Thanks Ashley - thats 699 yeah? Might have to go for that if i can find the funds - need a BR player too - ill have to dig deep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Hi Ash

can you please clarify if the only difference between the 7605 & 5605 is the ambilight and net tv features. Otherwise they're the same tv? If so I think it'll be the 5605 which I'm presuming is a good tv.

As for Daves Cave, it's "officially" the sitting room but I had the foresight to build a sunroom off the kitchen for the wife and a playroom for the kids so I get the sitting room aka the Cave. yup it's my refuge from the world. I currently have a 46 inch Samsung LCD tv, onkyo 875 amp routed through monitor audio speakers in a 5.1 configuration (7.1 at some point in the future), humax hdr to record and playback top gear, sports etc., PS3 for Blu Ray and games and finally a giant beanbag (4ft tall x 3ft wide) to plonk myself down in front of the tv for movies, gaming or sport. I like this part of my life!! :)

Hi Dave

The 5 and 7 series are pretty similar feature wise.

The 7605H uses the more powerful Pixel Precise HD image processing compared to the standard Pixel Plus HD found on the 5605H
    The 7605 has 4x HDMI and 2x SCART (+ a few other connection types) the 5605 has 3x HDMI and 1x SCART

Specs for both can be found on my treads for the new 5 and 7 series TV's

As I havent seen these two sets side by side I cant comment on which will look better - should bve able to do so next week however...

As for Daves Cave, you lucky sod:D
    sounds like a great place to chill out!

atb
    Ash

Beezkneez

Yep €699.99 for the new 32PFL5605H
    ETA next week

BR players from only €99.99 - no reason to buy a DVD player nowadays!

atb
    Ash

Cheers Ash. I'll keep an eye on the forum for announcements on the eta of the new 5 series.

Btw, regarding the prices quoted, are they RRP for Joe Public or are they inclusive of a Boardsie/good customer like me discount?

Hi Dave

Pm sent

Cheers
    Ash

• Advertisement

Hi Ash

pm sent

Regards

David

Hi Ash

I'll go for the 5605. I've sent you a pm to order one.

Thanks for the advice

David

Cheers Dve

Saw pm.

You are up on our system.
    Nicola will buzz you when they arrive next week.

Thanks for the order

Cheers
    Ash

Hi Nicola

thanks for the update via pm. I've sent you my contact details by pm

thanks

David

Guys, while I'm not known for my patience, I have held off contacting you to find out what has happened to my order of 30th April for the 32 inch 5605. Have they come in and been sold off, i.e. I was forgotten about, or is there some major delay in getting them in?????????

Thomas on behalf off Ash

HI DAVE

sorry its been this long with your order but unfortuntley philips still have no stock. as soon one lands here in the shop that one will br yours ill will call you when it lands
    Thomas

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.