Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with dog run

• 27-04-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am making my dog a run i was going to put down slabs but i am going to put down concrete instead as it should last forever so i was wondering what sort of mix i need as sand to cement or gravel to cement . the size is approx 22 feet by 12 feet. any help would be great or advice . thanks a mill:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

I would mix the concrete at about 3 shovel of sand to 1 shovel of cement.
    I would place a sheeth of plastic down first put gravel on top of it and then put up your timbers. If you need any help PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 9051derek

thanks for the reply . what i am doing is security metal fencing so i wont use tombers . was just told to dig about six inches deep then mix the gravel with the cement and water make the base in three parts (divide the run in 3 parts) and mix and pour , this guy is not sure how many parts to cement.:confused::confused::confused:

IMO for that size you would be as well order a cubic volume of readymix.
    That is a large area to mix by hand, and it will work out alot better in the long term. I agree with digging down 6". If you decide to go ahead and mix by hand 3 shovels of building gravel to 1 shovel of cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 9051derek

thanks for the advice at the moment i cant afford the ready made so i have 4 days to do it by hand , got 3 tonne of gravel delivered by a guy in dublin , amazing what you get and cement in woodies. Also while i was there i seen a dog run for 400 euro 6 foot tall by 13 foot long by 7.5 foot wide think it long enough let you know when it done thanks again.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Good luck with it :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

3:1 is a little on the strong side 4:1 would be fine for a dog run. You need to essentially dig down until yuo get to a sound footing like gravel.. ie dont put the base down on topsoil.

The idea of the 3 sections is to prevent cracking other than where there is a join..

A 4 inch slab of mix would be sufficent, if you can afford it i would but some A142 steel mesh, as this makes the slab stronger.

I hope its washed gravel that was delivered to you.

Advertisement