Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airsoft and Water?

• 27-04-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭

I have seen lately several videos showing the submersion test ie water in the breach of the gun, both with gas and electric. I have always avoided moving through bodies of water or getting the gun wet in any case but these vids seem to say the opposite. Anyone out there any knowledge on it? Does it damage it in the long term or is there no negitive effect? Naturally you would clean and oil them well after......
    Anyways here are some vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zaAP0QmNM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7zaAP0QmNM&feature=related

(They dont seem to come up on boards for me at the moment so here is the links)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Saying all AEGs are waterproof would be a mistake. I guess some guns are waterproof but I doubt that any Chinese clones would be. My CYMA M14 has a lot of exposed soldering and contacts in the reciever so I assume it would be destroyed on contact with water. I wouldn't recommend trying this with your AEG as you may get a nasty surprise. Leave it to the kids who's parents can afford to buy them replacements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Bernie Mac

Water + Electronics = disaster is the usual equation that would come to mind when that question is asked, but from my experience I wouldn't let water get in my way between me and the objective, as a result my aeg tends to get soaked, including playing on in the pissings of rain so in that respect it seems to be grand once you give it a good clean after.

That is not to say i would ever completly jump into a lake or river and full submerge the aeg (especially with a lipo in the stock tube :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Silent Death

demonspawn wrote: »
    Saying all AEGs are waterproof would be a mistake. I guess some guns are waterproof but I doubt that any Chinese clones would be. My CYMA M14 has a lot of exposed soldering and contacts in the reciever so I assume it would be destroyed on contact with water. I wouldn't recommend trying this with your AEG as you may get a nasty surprise. Leave it to the kids who's parents can afford to buy them replacements.
    Bernie Mac wrote: »
    Water + Electronics = disaster is the usual equation that would come to mind when that question is asked, but from my experience I wouldn't let water get in my way between me and the objective, as a result my aeg tends to get soaked, including playing on in the pissings of rain so in that respect it seems to be grand once you give it a good clean after.

That is not to say i would ever completly jump into a lake or river and full submerge the aeg (especially with a lipo in the stock tube :rolleyes:)

Oh i get that no prob, i was more curious about its effects. Generally i keep my gun away from water and the likes but its interesting. Just got me wondering really ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I was really impressed by this one posted a few years ago of the VFC SCAR, I went and bought one soon after watching this.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If your really concerned just carry a black sack in one of your pockets. Stash the gun in it and wade through the water - problem solved with no water touching your aeg :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

An AEG will work just fine under water, but you'd want to strip it, clean and re-grease where necessary if you end up with it completely submerged for a period of time, especially if it was fired under water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

heres an interesting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AUG win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Does anybody else have a very strong urge to fill up the green bin and go for a dunk in your tac gear ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Does anybody else have a very strong urge to fill up the green bin and go for a dunk in your tac gear ?

No, just you!

I doubt it would do much harm to the gun (provided its cleaned properly afterward), but at the same its its not doing your gun any good. So I'd say try and keep it out of contact with water as much as possible, but don't sh!t yourself if it does, just clean it out at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

andy_g wrote: »
    heres an interesting one

"No special equipment has been used"

Like a bleedin' aqualung for example. What did he do, walk along the bottom of the lake from the other side to sneak up on them ?

I wonder if anyone has tried that in Rathbeggan ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pred in august.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭roryk1

wat bout gas guns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Danin

heres an interesting one

A bit much ha ha but I have to say if you could get some stills of the rifle firing with that spray coming out of the flash guard it would make some cool art work.

*routes out camera* now i need volenteers to go for a swim at rathbeggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Im game :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

ill do it if you supply the guns

ps are the lakes at rathbeggin deep enough to "swim" in ?

*pushes thermo into lake at rathbeggan*

can you swim yet :P

yeah i would say they are thermo

*pushes thermo into lake at rathbeggan*

can you swim yet :P

yeah i would say they are thermo

ok so you suppling the guns? yes i can swim :cool:

thermo wrote: »
    ok so you suppling the guns? yes i can swim :cool:

ah bring your gas m700 ya should be safe seen the lads doing it in spain and menorca

• Advertisement

:) Looks like the thread has taken off, dont forget a camera

dont forget a camera

got my camera and tripod now wheres my volenteers

when you good to go andy?

im good to go anytime larry

Well clear it with the site owner and I'm game!

Any luck yet guys? Was the water too cold for ya?

:D just need to contact the site owner :P

:D just need to contact the site owner :P

Want his mobile number ? :)

Shiva wrote: »
    Want his mobile number ? :)

Thans for the offer Tony i have it :)

• Advertisement

Thans for the offer Tony i have it :)

Ahhh right....just thought maybe you didnt since its taking you so long to organise getting Thermo drenched :)

haha true work is a little busy with he good weather

Shiva wrote: »
    Ahhh right....just thought maybe you didnt since its taking you so long to organise getting Thermo drenched :)

andy is all talk!

andy is all talk!

ill give dave a call in the mornin so larry :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

I'd be up for it, have a set of dive gear around here some were, and the the river, would make a good photo shoot, if nothing else.

hrta wrote: »
    I'd be up for it, have a set of dive gear around here some were, and the the river, would make a good photo shoot, if nothing else.

sounds like a plan paul would be good photos for the site too :)

• Advertisement

now all we have to do is get andy to come out!

roster is out thurs so ill know

roster is out thurs so ill know

sure,,,,,,,,,

Im gunna make sure ya sink :P

Im gunna make sure ya sink :P

Sure ya are biggles..........

• Advertisement

Sure ya are biggles..........

dont worry i will.

Btw welcome to A+A very nice contribution i may add :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Patrick 1

Hey guys, quick question, if u were to use a GBB pistol or rifle underwater would it work? and if it did would it make bubbles go everywhere?

Patrick 1 wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question, if u were to use a GBB pistol or rifle underwater would it work? and if it did would it make bubbles go everywhere?

From peoples vids it seems the answer is yes, there is no electricity and all doing is using a gas to move the bits and bobs in the GBB it strike the BB. I would think a big drop in joules though with the density of the water but we are still waiting on andy and thermo to do the leg work though.;)

The bubbles....hmm, i would think a jet would come out the front barrel and possibly some from the ejection port. They wouldnt get far though, the water is dense and would hinder them so they would begin to rise fairly soon after leaving the barrel

From peoples vids it seems the answer is yes, there is no electricity and all doing is using a gas to move the bits and bobs in the GBB it strike the BB. I would think a big drop in joules though with the density of the water but we are still waiting on andy and thermo to do the leg work though.;)

The bubbles....hmm, i would think a jet would come out the front barrel and possibly some from the ejection port. They wouldnt get far though, the water is dense and would hinder them so they would begin to rise fairly soon after leaving the barrel

we have pauls dive suit ready to go just waiting on thermo to show up :P

:) Comon thermo, up off your ass
    We-Need-You%20extended.jpg

iv been busy with the military show lads and REAL SOLDIER STUFF!!!! not all airsofters are wanna-be's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D (looking at you andy and co.)

iv been busy with the military show lads and REAL SOLDIER STUFF!!!! not all airsofters are wanna-be's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :D (looking at you andy and co.)

The one up in the Curagh, Where were you in it? Was a good day though.

Anyhows, looking fordward to see what you come up with. What ya testing?

The one up in the Curagh, Where were you in it? Was a good day though.

Anyhows, looking fordward to see what you come up with. What ya testing?

was up in the show all sunday in my ww1 loadout,,,,,, complete with 'live' .303 lee enfield,,,,,,,,,,,,, its bit 'hot' (the .303) to play here with,,,,,,,,, ;)

was up in the show all sunday in my ww1 loadout,,,,,, complete with 'live' .303 lee enfield,,,,,,,,,,,,, its bit 'hot' (the .303) to play here with,,,,,,,,, ;)

ww1 loadout with a a mobile phone stuck to your ear haha thats not very ww1 ish i might add

Yea saw a couple of guysin WW1 gear that and a small child in the playground with a mini styre in full ghillie :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement