Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Filling a Boiler with Oil - Price Query

• 27-04-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Chaps and Chapettes,

My apologies if this is in the wrong thread. I've never had to know anything about boilers until possibly now.

My other half and I were looking at renting a small house in Cabra. It's a small 2 bedroomed house built sometime in the 50s I believe, similar to the one below:

http://www.let.ie/property-to-rent/159-Annamoe-Drive-Cabra-Dublin-7-Co-Dublin/869552

I'm wondering how much it would be to fill the boiler. I don't know what capacity it is only to say that it's not massive. I'm sorry I'm short on details and appear clueless. I've only ever lived places that have had storage or gas heating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A typical oil tank will hold just over 1000 litres, but there are smaller tanks available. You need to measure it to determine the volume it will hold. Generally people buy oil in quantities of 500 or 100 litres, it costs a bit less per litre if you buy it in the larger quantity. Typical prices in Dublin today are Eur330 for 500 litres, and Eur625 for 1000. Some companies may sell you a smaller amount.

How long this oil will last is dependent of a lot of factors - how long you run the heating every day, how much hot water you use, the level of insulation in the house, heating controls etc etc. If you are renting the landlord should have a Building Energy Rating (BER) certificate which gives a lot of information about how well the house and heating system perform from an energy efficiency perspective. See here. Ask the potential landlord for a copy.

Oil burners need regular servicing to operate efficiently, the nozzle should be replaced annually, oil pressure checked/adjusted, efficiency checked by flue gas analysis, and the firebox cleaned out to remove ash and other combustion by-products. So ask the landlord when this was last done. A poorly maintained oil boiler in an older house with poor insulation etc will cost you a fortune in heating bills. I'm not saying that this is the case with this particular house or any house, just pointing out the questions you should be asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Thanks for that post Pete- that was incredibly informative. I asked the potential landlord and she mentioned that the boiler was serviced two months ago. I also asked what the BER rating was for the house and it turns out to be G- which is the worst rating you can get.

Hmnnn it's a bad rating but I wonder would that be typical of that type of house? Is such a bad BER rating off putting?

Advertisement