Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump after injections?

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

A few weeks ago my 9 month old puppy got some injections in the back of his neck - he has pano so was in one week and got an injection(painkiller), then back the next week after it didn't clear up and got xrays and another injection. A few days later I noticed a callous/lump of hard skin on the back of his neck. I completely forgot about it until a few mins ago and had a look expecting it to be gone but now he has a blackish lump like a scab the size of a small pea...:confused: It's not painful but the skin around it looks a little dry. Any ideas - is it just a reaction to the injections? He's been in the vets 3 times in the last month - initial visit when he was limping, back the next week for xrays and then back a week later for a check up - so he's fed up of going to the vets at this stage :pac: He gets very anxious in the vets (all over everyone including the vet in the waiting room but afraid/growls when we get into the examination room) and even glues himself to the footpath on the way there in protest so I don't want to take him over if it's just dry skin/a scab and look like a panicy puppy owner :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Are you sure thats what it is?
    Sounds a bit like a tick, haven't had one on my dogs or cats yet but friends dog had one last summer, looked like you're describing.
    If it is a scab it should fall off in a few days, if you're really worried ring the vet and ask.
    Sorry, not much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I've heard of this happening with cats. I would call the vet and ask them about it, just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

It could be a lump arising from the pup having received so many injections and is of a bluish colour from bruising. Do you know if he received them all in the one location or was he injected in different areas?

If the lump is 'movable' and pliable between your fingers, it could be a tick. One of our dogs has had them already. Here's a picture of the most common type of tick found in dogs. If it is a tick, be very careful if you decide to take it out yourself as you can leave the head in the skin which can become infected and cause problems for the pup. Unless you know how to do it properly it'd probably be best to get a vet/nurse/someone who really knows what they're doing to do it.

As already suggested, give the vet a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Panic over - I rubbed some vaseline on it last night and this morning it came off - it was just a big thick scab! :D

Advertisement