Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel for Friday Night.

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading to the Connacht match on friday and I'm looking for a hotel to stay that night, preferably near the Sportsground.

My budget would be about €90-€100pp.

Any advice, links would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

why not stay in the many b&bs that are beside the sports ground ? other than that park house would be near by or the forster court hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

thomond,

the clarton is within walkingg distance, might meet some player aswell

why not stay in the many b&bs that are beside the sports ground ? other than that park house would be near by or the forster court hotel

+1

There are lots of nice B&B's on college road and you will save a few euro on a hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Huntsman perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

There are a handful of hotels within a 500 meter walk of the Sportsground in or around Eyre Square.

Radisson ****
    Meyrick ****(previously known as Great Southern)
    Skeffington Arms ***
    Imperial***
    Foster Court***
    The Victoria***
    Eyre Square Hotel.***

I reckon the Foster Court might be the best value of the 3 star ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sunshinyday

if you contact Failte Ireland they will arrange the accomodation for you if you like.

Takes the hassle out of it.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/west.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'm staying in The Eyre Square hotel on Friday. It was 99euro b&b or 79euro room only.
    That's for one person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭DD67

outwest wrote: »
    thomond,

the clarton is within walkingg distance, might meet some player aswell

I have lived in Galway all my life and i cant place where this hotel might be, i know there is a Clayton out in Ballybrit but i never heard of the Clarton, unless its an existing hotel thats been rebranded and they forgot to tell me:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

DD67 wrote: »
    I have lived in Galway all my life and i cant place where this hotel might be, i know there is a Clayton out in Ballybrit but i never heard of the Clarton, unless its an existing hotel thats been rebranded and they forgot to tell me:eek:

Ryans -> Days -> Carlton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

+1

There are lots of nice B&B's on college road and you will save a few euro on a hotel.

The B&Bs on college Road, within seconds of a walk to the sportsgrounds, are like hotels, such is their quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Just had to check for a friend - Carlton is €89 B&B for single room Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The Carlton would be a fairly long walk from the Sportgrounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

The Carlton would be a fairly long walk from the Sportgrounds.

Only 10 minutes max, down the hill on Dublin Rd to the huntsman and up the hill to the sportsground...

spender.j wrote: »
    Only 10 minutes max, down the hill on Dublin Rd to the huntsman and up the hill to the sportsground...

I'd say 15 mins. Keep in mind the forecast is for rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Hotels.ie have the travelodge for 54 and Best western Flannerys for 52

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

If it takes someone 15 mins to walk from the Carlton to the Sportsground, then they're either on crutches or 3 years old.

10 max.

All issued tickets sold out but are there any on the gate at all at all?

kraggy wrote: »
    If it takes someone 15 mins to walk from the Carlton to the Sportsground, then they're either on crutches or 3 years old.

10 max.

Maybe half an hour? Sure it will take ages :D to get out of the Sportsground as it has only one access point on College Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

ErnieBert wrote: »
    Maybe half an hour? Sure it will take ages :D to get out of the Sportsground as it has only one access point on College Road.
    It's not the noucamp, there will only be capacity for 8,000 people and there is two access points onto college road

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

10 max.

No tickets on the gate but if you turn up there are bound to be people selling spare tickets they have - had one myself but think its gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

10 max.

Wikipedia (it's always right ;) ) tells us that
    Average adult walking speed on level surfaces is approximately 80 m/min (4.8 km/h, 12.5 min/km)...

Google maps tells us that it's 1.5km from the Carlton to the Sportsground.

1.5 km * 12.5 min/km = 18.75 minutes

Granted most of the people walking it will younger/fitter than the average human, and it is possible to cut a bit of by going behind the Huntsman (daylight hours only please!). But there's also a bit of a hill on College Rd, and you might have to wait for traffic lights to cross the Dublin Rd.

So I'd say 15 minutes is more realistic.

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    JustMary wrote: »
    Wikipedia (it's always right ;) ) tells us that

Google maps tells us that it's 1.5km from the Carlton to the Sportsground.

1.5 km * 12.5 min/km = 18.75 minutes

Granted most of the people walking it will younger/fitter than the average human, and it is possible to cut a bit of by going behind the Huntsman (daylight hours only please!). But there's also a bit of a hill on College Rd, and you might have to wait for traffic lights to cross the Dublin Rd.

So I'd say 15 minutes is more realistic.

For the love of God !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I have a "professional" interest in being able to estimate how long it takes to walk somewhere.

10 max just felt wrong, so I thought it was worth looking for some facts to see if my gut-feeling really was out by 50%.

JustMary wrote: »
    I have a "professional" interest in being able to estimate how long it takes to walk somewhere.

10 max just felt wrong, so I thought it was worth looking for some facts to see if my gut-feeling really was out by 50%.

You dont want to know what the first thing was that came into my head !

Advertisement