Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths Book....

Options
  • 27-04-2010 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Does anyone know if the answers to Exercise 7.C at the back of the book are incorrect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Rossmd

Forgot to say, specifically questions 3 -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

No idea but my book says published 1986 and there's no mention of revisions or anything. I'd say they would have noticed after 24 years but maybe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Rossmd wrote: »
    Forgot to say, specifically questions 3 -5.

I did the questions in response to this thread to verify the answers in the back of the book and they all came out. Try them again and see what you get. :) If you need more help, I'll happily PM the solutions to you tomorrow. :)

So for Q3(i) you got 7/9 and not 6/10 (that I repeatedly keep getting!!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Conor108 wrote: »
    No idea but my book says published 1986 and there's no mention of revisions or anything. I'd say they would have noticed after 24 years but maybe :)
    There are a few errors in the book but not many. More annoyingly there are a small few questions which are impossible to do, eg you are asked to prove something which is not true. There have not been any revisions because it's not a popular enough book to make it worth it, I heard he had wanted to publish a revised one a while back but the publishers didn't warm to the idea, or something like that.

• Advertisement

Have it now. Excellent. Thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

There are a few errors in the book but not many. More annoyingly there are a small few questions which are impossible to do, eg you are asked to prove something which is not true. There have not been any revisions because it's not a popular enough book to make it worth it, I heard he had wanted to publish a revised one a while back but the publishers didn't warm to the idea, or something like that.
    You sure? I've doen every question up until the part about bodies being in Equilibrium in Statics and so far have got everything right or proved everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

BL1993 wrote: »
    You sure? I've doen every question up until the part about bodies being in Equilibrium in Statics and so far have got everything right or proved everything.
    It's been a few years. I just remember a particularly annoying projectiles proof, that a friend and I spent a solid two weeks on because we had been told by the woman giving us grinds that it was a particularly important one so we figured there must be a solution. Only to be told that she had given us the wrong number, and the question was in fact unsolvable due, presumably, to misprint.

Wouldn't worry too much about it though. If you've got them all right then you're doing well because there were a few that I remember I had a lot of trouble with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

I heard a new book is coming out next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

blubloblu wrote: »
    I heard a new book is coming out next year.

Really? Do you know anything more about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Really? Do you know anything more about it?

Just what's down in the bottom right of this page
    http://www.discoveringmaths.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I'm an applied maths teacher, and I signed a form late last year saying that I'd like a sample copy of that book when it comes out...

Advertisement