Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom next generation what is it

• 27-04-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

No contention ratio?

Fiber or copper?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

A ten year old technology that has long since been replaced, they are hyping it but its a load of BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

A ten year old technology that has long since been replaced, they are hyping it but its a load of BS

Same old Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's a marketing gimmick. Nothing to do with next gen technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Does it actually work ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Calebmcd

I'd like to know whats the difference from the current 8mb.

8128/800 12:1

And the 'NEW' NGB 8mb

?!?

• Advertisement

Contention is 1:1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't forget though now they will charge you for going over the cap if your on the "Next Generation Super Grovy Broadband Network"

I'm currently on unlimited download, my speed never drops so will 1:1 benefit me vs my 12:1. (I get 6.6/0.6)

What is the the upload speed(384, 672, 768, 800?)

My exchange is getting the upgrade in Sept - Dec time.

Is it really fibre, if not. Why is 24mb not on the NGB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

"Eircom next generation" ? Probably more illegal censorship, lower speeds and higher prices!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does anyone know have the new owners taking over yet, or are the old owners sill raping Eircom or every penny it has?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

the_syco wrote: »
    Does anyone know have the new owners taking over yet, or are the old owners sill raping Eircom or every penny it has?

Which new owners? :) hard to keep track at this stage.

4th January last it would seem.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-owner-stt-warns-of-serious-challenges-facing-eircom-1978691.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Calebmcd wrote: »
    I'm currently on unlimited download, my speed never drops so will 1:1 benefit me vs my 12:1. (I get 6.6/0.6)

What is the the upload speed(384, 672, 768, 800?)

My exchange is getting the upgrade in Sept - Dec time.

Is it really fibre, if not. Why is 24mb not on the NGB?

Because this is just plain old old old ADSL and not ADSL2+ or anything new in fact, just a new marketing drive of defunct tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Is there a way to find out when I'll be put on NGB (currently in an area that supports it) without ringing the dolts (not all of them, some are good) at Customer service?

They have a map

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

Click on Coverage map!

Don't see Captains Log there though sorry ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Ranicand wrote: »
    No contention ratio?

Fiber or copper?

Theres a pretty good explanation of it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055869976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

yea and the advertisements on TV about bring ireland fibre power broadband what a joke do they think irish people are stupid the asian owners STT kinda funny how they can make that advertisement which is a lie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Calebmcd wrote: »
    They have a map

http://www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie/

Click on Coverage map!

Don't see Captains Log there though sorry ;)

The area I live in is covered but I've still not been put on this "wonderful" new service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

At the very least it should've been an upto 24 m/bit service from the beginning. Or something actually considered next gen, like some kind of fibre roll out or Vdsl or a line bonding technique. What's the problem with using the extra pairs that are going into all our houses anyway?

The reality is that it's a next generation rat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote: »
    The reality is that it's a next generation rat

Same generation ADSL1 Rat with a makeover. The next generation bills are out next week.

Eirconslowconnect.gif

Still no price drop anywhere.

8mb and 24mb are virtually the same price.
    And removing the 1mb - 7mb, they could have offered loads of cheap alternatives.

Like free 1mb with a talk package?

Not that i want it, give me the max. But i'm not paying €70 for 24mb.
    When my friend in the netherlands has 120mb for €60.(UPC)

Although when i think about it i pay €60 for my 8mb? Which is his upload speed.
    We don't need to worry though right, we have Eircom Fibre, Wimax and 3G!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It's NGN "next generation network" which is what Smart Telecom, Magnet and BT Ireland use in their LLU (Unbundled) areas.

Eircom are basically moving to an all-ip network and whacking in more backhaul capacity to those exchanges are being updated.

It may not actually mean more fibre being installed, rather more efficient use of existing fibres.

Eircom's original core network is based around SDH and ATM which was really designed for digital voice / isdn switches. It is not as efficient as IP for data.

From what I gather, the voice/isdn local switches are being IP-enabled so, your voice line will basically be provided by carrier-grade VoIP. This may already be the case in some places, you wouldn't notice any difference.

The idea is you get rid of the old core network, move everything to one efficient IP network and use very sophisticated routing to ensure packets for streaming data eg voice, video etc get priority.

Every major and minor European telco is doing this.

BT's 21CN network project is very similar too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im amazed they are not moving every exchange to ADSL2+ and offering even 12 meg rather than 10 year old tech with up to 8meg speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Gonzo wrote: »
    im amazed they are not moving every exchange to ADSL2+ and offering even 12 meg rather than 10 year old tech with up to 8meg speeds.

I'd say the main reason is that they don't want to choke the ATM network that's supporting it.

24mbits is available on some exchanges. Suppose it's just a case of wait till they get the NGN nodes in. It's not as drastically complex as putting dsl in in the first place.

The rollout is weird though eg it's very odd that their NGN isn't live in Cork City yet. UPC is taking loads of customers onto fibre power there!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Gonzo wrote: »

Because, Ireland.

Because, Ireland.
    Exactly, and maybe the drops in speeds people have had with VF & Eircom over the last few months is just a ploy to make money and get them to sign up to this "new improved, uncongested serviced" :rolleyes:, it wouldn't surprise me.

Solair wrote: »
    I'd say the main reason is that they don't want to choke the ATM network that's supporting it.

24mbits is available on some exchanges. Suppose it's just a case of wait till they get the NGN nodes in. It's not as drastically complex as putting dsl in in the first place.

The rollout is weird though eg it's very odd that their NGN isn't live in Cork City yet. UPC is taking loads of customers onto fibre power there!

My exchange is ADSL2+ enabled. But not NGB enabled. My question is will it be worth waiting for the NGB or go straight to 24mb?

Whil i'm currently already on non-NGB 8mb unlimited!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Because this is just plain old old old ADSL and not ADSL2+ or anything new in fact, just a new marketing drive of defunct tech.
    Really?

FFS, that's a right balls so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are just changing some exchange backhauls and swapping users to a "pay by data limit" instead of "pay by speed limit".

So your speed will be whatever the line can do (less than 1/2 can do 8Mbps using any form of DSL given average line length and quality). But your payment is based on Cap you choose.

It will penalise light users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

So in theorey all this packet loss in the mid-west could be induced to make people think that they're better off paying more for the shiny new NGB when it becomes available at their exchanges???
    Surely not!!

I mean.....would they????......nah!!...not our lads n lassies in Eircom..... :rolleyes:

Btw Bob Love the artwork ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is congestion due to lack of capacity in Midwest on eircom. (affects other ISPs reselling bitstream). Fixing this is not really anything to do with NGN (replacing ATM with IP) or NGB (Fibre to cabinet, kerb, home, coax segment).

Obviously since ATM is 10 years obsolete, any backhaul upgrades to get rid of congestion (which should have been done 5 to 10 years ago), will be NGN architecture (IP based).

Many Mobile mast backhaul are changing from ISDN and ATM to IP based too. It's cheaper and they are adding extra capacity, but it only lets the Mobile mast have its theoretical rubbish performance of HSPA rather than x20 worse 3G basic capacity, i.e. entry level Broaband when one or two users connect and ISDN speed when there are 20 users running in a sector.

So no "next Generation Broadband" from these upgrades. Only the sort of performance you should have had in 2002.

Advertisement