Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom next generation what is it

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Praetorian wrote: »
    . What's the problem with using the extra pairs that are going into all our houses anyway?

Hmm. Those pairs don't go to exchange, only to the cabinet in your street. Eircom so much don't have spare pairs they offered to pay some large customers to go wireless and give back lines. Many people can't get BB at all as they are sharing a pair with 1 to 8 other people.

ADSL2+ and VDSL etc only benefit urban users, less than 25% get significant speed. Even if there was universal VDSL+++ whatever the line length, cross talk, quality, type of wire (approx cat3) etc. would mean average would be about 7Mbps and about 25% would still be less than 3Mbps. Less than 10% would get more than 20Mbps... Approximately.

We need fibre to those local cabinets. Then with bonded pairs you can have 50Mbps to 200Mbps and 20Mbps to 100Mbps on one pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

You know the kind who could get Broadband but don't because they only book holidays and send email jokes back and forth.

My belief is that unless Eamon Ryan, who I think is at least a politician who knows Information Technology, can convince others in Dail Eireann to take Broadband seriously then we will always be a Third World Internet Country.

They are forcing out Terretrial TV in 2012....why.....because it has had it's day and we have to come into the present with better Technology.

The same should be done to Dialup Internet.
    A typical Dialup user will argue that they "don't use the Internet much" but I bet you will find that they use nearly €20 a month.
    People within Town limits should have one choice of Broadband starting for 1mb @ €20 and then you would see Broadband really take off in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My belief is that unless Eamon Ryan, who I think is at least a politician who knows Information Technology, can convince others in Dail Eireann to take Broadband seriously then we will always be a Third World Internet Country.

Ooooooh the innocence. :D:D

Ryan knows about as much about technology as my dog does about his father and he cares even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Ooooooh the innocence. :D:D

Ryan knows about as much about technology as my dog does about his father and he cares even less.

Well you tell me what you base your assumption on old chap and I will tell you what I base mine on and we will see who is an innocent.

righteo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

That's the Eamonn Ryan that approved the NBS. Fast Wireless Dialup Mobile Internet, not a broadband solution.

They are forcing out Terretrial TV in 2012....why.....because it has had it's day and we have to come into the present with better Technology.
    It's about money. Selling off part of the TV spectrum. This has to be available across Europe at same time to maximise the revenue. It's not really about quality or technology per se.

A typical Dialup user will argue that they "don't use the Internet much" but I bet you will find that they use nearly €20 a month.
    People within Town limits should have one choice of Broadband starting for 1mb @ €20 and then you would see Broadband really take off in this country.
    Actually.. loads have people have moved from Dialup on copper to Mobile as the line rental alone is more expensive than a basic 10Gbyte usage Mobile. Less than 2/3rds of Households have a phone line now. About 1/3rd of those have it paid for by Social Welfare.

About 10% to 15% (exact figures are not independently audited) of lines can't do Broadband of 1Mbps or higher. Less than 50% can get more than 7Mbps (approx). Only 10% to 15% of lines can do more than 20Mbps.

We have maybe the most expensive line rental in the world and our broadband rollout and upgrades are maybe 5 to 8 years behind other countries.

The problem is NOT demand, as shown by take up of the Mobile offerings, but price, performance and availability. We only recently sorted out LLU pricing just as the rest of the world has decided to bypass DSL/Copper and rollout fibre.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well you tell me what you base your assumption on old chap and I will tell you what I base mine on and we will see who is an innocent.

righteo?

Eamon Ryan is the one that keeps telling us that 3G is the way forward for broadband in Ireland, and that it can guarantee speeds of 1.2Mbps to all users, and that speed increases are going to be in the order of 14Mbps+ by the end of 2009. Thus proving that he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Like most other politicians, he is technology illiterate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

righteo?

What exactly has Ryan done for communications policy in Ireland?
    (Answers on the back of a stamp please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

You know the kind who could get Broadband but don't because they only book holidays and send email jokes back and forth.

Eamon Ryan has no idea what he's talking about. He is in my opinion the least competent minister in Ireland, and serves only to look like he is taking action, while in fact he is doing very little and even holding up the innovation that we need in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bealtine wrote: »

Apparently, "The speeds of broadband that we are beginning to see in Ireland are evidence that the Government’s policy of competition in the market is working", he has done this. Funny man, I think he may be vying for a position as Tommy Tiernan's warm up act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

jor el wrote: »
    Apparently, "The speeds of broadband that we are beginning to see in Ireland are evidence that the Government’s policy of competition in the market is working", he has done this. Funny man, I think he may be vying for a position as Tommy Tiernan's warm up act.

He spends more time on everything else, banking,finance and many other things rather than the stuff he is actually in charge of. He rarely, if ever, speaks on communications policy on the TV or radio. He seems to be rather pointless as a minister. I've had meetings with him in his official capacity as a Minister and he just seems overwhelmed by all things technical.

He'd look good in a "Crusty" suit ok...
    He's actually a nice guy all the same just in the wrong job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

watty wrote: »
    Hmm. Those pairs don't go to exchange, only to the cabinet in your street. Eircom so much don't have spare pairs they offered to pay some large customers to go wireless and give back lines. Many people can't get BB at all as they are sharing a pair with 1 to 8 other people.

ADSL2+ and VDSL etc only benefit urban users, less than 25% get significant speed. Even if there was universal VDSL+++ whatever the line length, cross talk, quality, type of wire (approx cat3) etc. would mean average would be about 7Mbps and about 25% would still be less than 3Mbps. Less than 10% would get more than 20Mbps... Approximately.

We need fibre to those local cabinets. Then with bonded pairs you can have 50Mbps to 200Mbps and 20Mbps to 100Mbps on one pair.

Thanks Watty.

This is exactly what you predicted would happen; a change to charging for data. It must've been a few years ago when you called that one.

I can't see Eircom having the money to roll out any fibre to cabinets for a long time. Here's hoping UPC don't stop and maybe magnet get their asses in gear.

I should be happy I've 15 meg at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

HOW DARE YOU!!... I need that stamp coz my bloody email doesnt work!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If they're moving to 1:1 contention, then surely there is no need for a cap, especially one as small as 30GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Watch that word.. "contention"

Advertisement