Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance from exchange

Options
  • 27-04-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

My company's location is about 4.5 km from the local exchange. Currently receiving broadband but the service is intermittent. What are the chances that this will ever improve? Ruralish area outside Cork.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are not a priority unless you ring in a voice fault on that line which will get an engineer out ...some time this year. That if the line is the problem. North Cork suffers a lot from contention caused by inadequte capacity in Limerick. You should keep line stats ...search boards for "line stats"

At 4.5km you should get a stable 3mbit all the same and if you have a 7mbit package I am not surprised it is unstable so I would ask eircom to 'profile' ( ie throttle) it at 5mbits and see if that improves matters any.

Up north BT are dealing with this issue by bringing the exchange near the customer. Every business up north, no matter where, is guaranteed 2mbit DSL from May 2011.

This requires 1100 new BT exchanges which are roadside cabinets in the main and in an area only 60% the size of the much larger Munster.

Advertisement