Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify this bird ,please

• 27-04-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

would someone please put me out of my misery ,and tell me what this is?.....thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

A Rosy Starling ?
    Rosy%2520Starling.jpg

Where did you see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭bently

A Rosy Starling ?
    Rosy%2520Starling.jpg

Where did you see it?

I live in R.O.I.,Half way in between Tralee, and Newcastle-West

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

A grey crow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Themagerleague

Looks like a Hooded(Grey) crow to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I agree - a hooded crow

• Advertisement

Looks like a Hooded(Grey) crow to me

Just a bit more info ,the post that the bird is perched on is a telegraph pole,so its a fair sized bird,and seems bigger than other Crows that use the perch at other times....is that any help?

Hooded crows are quite big birds(larger than most other types of crow), its most likely a Hooded crow I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

why is it so pink looking?

why is it so pink looking?

Evening sun I guess :)

Evening sun I guess :)

Yes you are correct it was facing West ,just early evening,and I had to rush very quietly back into the house to get my camera and try not to disturb it..!
    So the photo is not very crisp.......Thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I have to say that a Hooded Crow was my initial thought too - didn't know what size it was until now - and the pink hue threw me too. I also thought that the beak looked wrong for a hoodie. :)

On mature reflection, and taking into account the size of the pole that it is sitting on it must be a hoodie. Ah well no rushing off to report a rarity. According to Irishbirding.com the last record of a Rose Coloured Starling was in Cork on the 1st October 2009.

I have to say that a Hooded Crow was my initial thought too - didn't know what size it was until now - and the pink hue threw me too. I also thought that the beak looked wrong for a hoodie. :)

I realise the picture is not the best,but if you look below the wing you can see some Orange coloured plummage,if that means anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definate: A Hood Crow. The colouring is distorted by a combination of evening sunlight and poor quality shot.

Thanks Everyone,...............problem solved.

Advertisement