Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Psychology Query

Options
  • 28-04-2010 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

i've started walking my neighbours dog with my own and mine is quite dominant. i'm just wondering to what extent should i allow the dominance.
    for example when i put the 2 dogs into my car i had to keep them apart (they've only met once before the first walk and my dog isn't crazy about fellow bitches) and i put the neighbours dog beside me and my own in the back but would this have been bad in my dogs eyes as she thinks she should come first?

also when giving drinks etc should i give it to my own first?

my dog is very used to having me all to herself and i think she is quite put out by having this dog in the car, on walks and in the house. would this cause my dog some stress? i don't want to sound mental but its important to me that my dog is nice and relaxed and i'd hate to think that by doing the other dog a favour (shes stuck in the neighbours house a lot) i'm upsetting my dogs routine. i have a good routine for my dog and i think it works well with her. shes a rescue dog and had a tough start.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

any help at all ??

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

Doesnt sound crazy at all, dog psychology is a very complex issue.

Your dog is your priority. Its very nice of you to take your neighbours dog for a walk and into your home, but your own dog will see this new dog encroaching on her territory.
    Dogs are pack animals and they tend to form a hierarchy - ie top dog. I would allow your dog to dominate, or let them sort themselves, better not to intervene unless things turn nasty. If you start to favour the other dog, this will stress out your own dog, and this can lead to behavioural issues e.g. aggression, inappropriate elimination or she even may start to become protective of you and develop attention seeking behaviours.
    Dogs see their owners as a 'resource', and they will do whatever they think they need to, to protect their resource.
    i would do everything as normal for your own dog and let the neighbours dog follow on, try not to pay to much attention to the issue. It may make your dog more aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I think I'd put your own dog in the front seat and relegate the neighbour's dog to the back. They'll have sorted out the pecking order in a couple of weeks but let them do it by themselves (unless it turns nasty). As for giving drinks, etc., I'd be inclined to give it to them both at the same time

Advertisement