Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to Buy Cigars Online

• 28-04-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Guys,

Really keen about the idea of buying cigars online. The prices in the off licences and tobacconists are pretty shocking and it's just not a viable hobby with the amount of money that they're charging.

Anyway the prices on the net are GREAT. Some seriously good offers out there. Only problem is that the American smoke shops won't export tobacco because of customs restrictions. Which is a massive pity because Famous-Smoke.com have some phenomenal deals on at the moment.

I remember a couple of users on this forum saying that they got stogies off the net, so was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of cheap online stores that will ship to Ireland!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

www.decent-cigar.com

Website even has a cheesy video :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 conormurphy101

Thanks for that, I've actually seen that place. Prices are WAY too expensive - I/we can do much better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

There are lots of sites out there selling cigars online and a quick Google will soon swamp you with outlets but there are a few things to watch for.
    First, always include tax in your costing because you will get caught for it occasionally. I've paid tax on a few boxes but it still works out cheaper then buying the cigars individually here.
    The other issue is the legitimacy of the cigar. There are LOTS of forgeries out there - especially for the popular brands. So, cheapest is not always the best.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

yeah do you know of any specific shops, though? I'm aware of the potential customs issues. Could be a bit of trouble but I'd imagine they turn a blind eye to most small shipments. So back to the shop issue: any specific web-store suggestions?

When I buy cigars online I get them straight from a torcedores through a friend who worked in the trade. I've not bought any cigars from any other online source in years.

• Advertisement

hi oldgoat,

buying straight from a torcedor place would be amazing, and i'm sure the cigars would be ridiculously good, but as I've no industry connections I doubt that's a possibility!

so nobody has any suggestions for websites that will ship to Ireland? I'm sure there must be some out there.. I'm actually going to NYC in about a month so I can just order some in to my address there and bring them home, but it would be kinda cool to be able to get them shipped directly to Ireland - plus I'm not going for another month which means a month of buying overpriced cigars at the offies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

I know nothing about Cigars (except that they are delicious).
    I don't know how good or bad the prices on this site are but i do know that its a good reliable place to buy.
    http://www.cigar-merchant.com/shop.asp

i'd certainly second their being delicious!

that's closer to what I'm looking for (in the sense that it's a uk company, so will presumably ship to Ireland) but still way off price! I guess there probably just isn't really a suitable store for people like me, at least not one that ships here. I'll resign myself to the fate of buying overpriced cigars for the month or so I have left here and start enjoying the cheap stogies when I get Stateside!

Conor, I'm not quiet sure what you are looking for. The majority of online cigar outlets will send cigars to Ireland. Actually, you'll get a better selection here then you will get in the States as we don't have a Cuban embargo to contend with.
    I've just done a quick search on Google and the first 5 sites I looked at will ship cigars to Ireland.
    Is there a particular brand that you are having trouble getting?

Can you give us a ballpark figure for your requirements cigar type - brand - price? Something like robustos for under €5 each or robustos for under €20 each?

There are lots of good cigars out there. There are lots of cheap cigars out there. The difficulty is in trying to find good cheap cigars out there. :)

Hi OldGoat,

Let me explain: I went on to Famous Smoke and I saw some of the most ridiculously cheap offers/deals I've ever seen. We were talking 20 coronas for $30 plus shipping here. So I got a pit excited about the possibility of ordering cigars for that cheap. Whether they're genuine or fake I wouldn't really care - getting any full corona for just over a dollar is a miracle.

So basically I was put under the misled impression that you could buy cigars online for those kind of rock bottom prices. Obviously I was wrong. I will try to do some more checking out, but what I've found so far is that all of the shops that ship to Ireland are selling cigars for more than my local tobacconist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭el_greco

Hi Conor,

You can get a corona for less than $1 in some places, the quality of the cigar you will get though is completely different to the one you will buy in a respectable tobacconist for €10!

There is some online vendors that would Cuban or non Cuban cigars to Ireland. But you have take in account the risk factor, too. Since Jan 1st, all Swiss cigar vendors are obligated by law to declare the content and value of the parcel on the customs declaration sticker. There is more chances of a custom officer checking a parcel that says "Cigars - Cohiba Robusto $300" than a box that says "Gift box, $5". So, the box of cigars that you bought for 1/3 of the Dublin prices, could cost you more than if you bought it here. If you get the option to pay the tax and get it, that is...

Just my 2c...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There is to be no further discussion in this thread of how to circumvent Irish Revenue taxes & charges. By all means discuss purchasing online - but that's it.

Thanks,

HB

I like cigars but wouldn't be overly bothered about the brand etc (I know I know :o), in Germany last year I bought some Coronas for about €3 each. There is a crowd in Dublin that roll cigars, Petersons, their Corona cigars can be bought 10 for €50, even to the likes of me though they are not great, they seem very earthy or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

I have bought cigars online from a variety of sources with varying results in terms of quality and delivery times. I can recommend this company in Holland, good communication and very fast turnaround- usually have your order inside a week.

http://www.cigarwebshop.net/

You need to consider weight of cigars including packaging, so sometimes its better to order several boxes at one go to be under a set weight restriction.
    This varies from company to company and country to country so make sure you are clear on the conditions of a particular vendor by reading the small print!
    My experience is that standard post is every bit as good as courier delivery. In the above vendors case they give options for posting, this is not always the case so check before ordering.
    This link below is a directory of on line cigar retailers.

http://www.cigargroup.com/weblist/ret.htm

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭miltonkrest

topcubans.com

puroexpress.com

cigarworld.pt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do not post items for sale in this forum.

Advertisement