Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a house be sold without a BER rating?

Options
  • 28-04-2010 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

I have been viewing houses recently with a view to maybe buying before the end of the year.

I viewed a 20 year old detached bungalow in need of refurb today and I asked the EA what was the BER rating on the house. She told me that the house didn't have one and that they (ber ratings) were extremely overrated and nearly always wrong.

I have looked around a few sites and the general consensus is that a BER rating is needed to sell and house.

I'm just wondering is this enforced and are BER ratings as important as they are made out to be ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

All residential properties for sale or for rent will require A BER Certificate is required when selling (or even renting) a property.
    It is enforced, your solicitor will not let the sale proceed until a BER has been produced.

I agree that the BER is extremely over-rated. I'd rather just get a good survey done. It will tell you most of what you need to know.
    I recently received the BER for the place I am purchasing. It stated the property had GFCH - It has OFCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I viewed a 20 year old detached bungalow in need of refurb today and I asked the EA what was the BER rating on the house. She told me that the house didn't have one and that they (ber ratings) were extremely overrated and nearly always wrong.

And if the house had a very good BER do you think she would say that? And the reason BERs are sometimes wrong is because assessors can be "convinced" to come to a certain conclusion by whatever vested interest commissioned it. The EA is a self-serving, dishonest sack of crap and I would refuse to do business with her after she said that. I'd tell her office to send someone else or lose interest. These people have to learn to stop lying.

Yes, a BER WILL BE needed before they sell this house. If it is done correctly, they are important as they will save you the misery of buying a home that is cold. If you have ever lived somewhere you simply cannot leep warm you'll know how utterly miserable and expensive it is. A decent BER will save you all this.

If you really like the place get your own thorough and honest BER done. Or two...they are only a few hundred quid which is nothing next to the purchase price.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jesh1

As stated already a seller must provide a BER cert if the sale is to proceed. Do not pay for one yourself.
    When having your independent survey done you will be told the "general" health of the house. Recommedations maybe be made regarding improvements in the efficieny of the property by your surveyor.

TBH it's not important just yet but may become more significant if a property tax is introduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

If the house is incomplete (like windows, roof missing)

Then yes it can be sold without BER (sort of hard to do BER on a shell)

In your case @OP the auctioneer is either dumb or lying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

And at the end of the day, if you really want the house and are willing to put up with a low rating (whatever that means), it doesnt matter what the BER says as long as you have one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement