Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bloods, the Castletroy metaler's, and the Arabs from the 1990's

Options
  • 28-04-2010 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

for my own curiosity.

Anyone got any info/stories about the so-called teenage gangs that
    apparently existed in Limerick in the early 90's
    (Without mentioning any persons names of course for libel reasons)

Castletroy Metalers were from Castletroy obviously.
    The Bloods supposedly from around the Ballinacurra & Raheen gardens area
    The Arabs from Mungret village area, Was there any more ? circa late 80's early 90's

Wondering if they were just a childishlike bunch of kids that messed about
    like Huckleberry Finn and Friends pretending to be cut-throat pirates in their imaginations or if these so-called gangs actually got up to no good or were a menace to society.

Used to hear stories in school where members of the bloods would get younger kids to break into schools/shops etc to rob them to get into "the gang" and there was some big clash of the titan like stand off between them
    and the metalers at some stage.

Castletroy metalers would get girls to try and lure fellas behind walls where a bunch of metallers would beat the lured fella up for fun,
    and steal peoples bikes, heard once one of them hit a guy over the head
    with a hammer and put someone in a coma! but never learned if there was any truth to the story.

The Arab's all I ever heard was they wanted to fight poeple and tried to set
    a few places on fire.

~B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Castletroy had a gang? AHAHAHAHAAA

Did they tuck their armani jeans into their Calvin Klein socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Jumpy wrote: »
    Castletroy had a gang? AHAHAHAHAAA

Did they tuck their armani jeans into their Calvin Klein socks?

twas all Levi's 501 red label with button fly's back then!
    (Which were even expensive when bought 2nd hand in modesty)

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

The white socks, the dirts, and the cleans. Yes there were the castletroy metalers. never heard much about them only there was a lot of them. There was lots of gangs in limerick but they didn't tend to give themselves names. For instance the crowd from town, just were. Lads who hung around the vic, or when the buzz opened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

a quick google now tells me that we have " the casteltroy college metalers" oh dear...oh woe is me....

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Think Qudraphenia in Limerick with the mods(bloods/ravers) and the rockers(metalers) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Lads who hung around the vic, or when the buzz opened.

WOW, What a Scum Hole? The Buzz. I went in there ONCE, looked around and made a hasty retreat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The buzz was decent when it opened but as with most places here, when scobes discover it, it quickily goes downhill. Anyone remember Naff Co. 54 jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The buzz was decent when it opened but as with most places here, when scobes discover it, it quickily goes downhill. Anyone remember Naff Co. 54 jackets?

The aul' "Not another fvcking f*ggot" Jackets

Excuse my language but that was what some people called them. They had many different descriptions but they went down the same road as Johnny Brubakers.

n51105107608_9058.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bullets wrote: »
    heard once one of them hit a guy over the head
    with a hammer and put someone in a coma! but never learned if there was any truth to the story.

~B

Just been told that this is true, and that the hammer fellow passed away in a car accident not long afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The paint had barely dried on the front door when they discovered it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Bloods? as in the notorious LA gang had a Limerick chapter? did they have to pay yearly franchise fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The warriors film from the 80's. Must have been the influence.
    Although think there was big motor bike gang can't rem there name, (harmless)
    No idea where the buzz was?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Jumpy wrote: »
    Just been told that this is true, and that the hammer fellow passed away in a car accident not long afterwards.

I can't remember the details of the Hammer incident but I do know that what was basically a Group of Rich Kids from Castletroy did plague the area for a long time, mugging Students, as well as each other and making Knobs outta themselves - towards the end they started absorbing a following from Da'Island Field who would have thought nothing of a Hammer attack any time of day or night.

Heard very little after a Joyride in a stolen Car ended very, very abruptly on the old road from The Parkway towards the Groody Roundabout.

Yes the warriors would have something to do with the early to late 80's. The punk era...also going back to the hairy's and baldies of the 70's

The Buzz was beside the o connell grill...where the vodafone store is now.

Berty wrote: »
    The aul' "Not another fvcking f*ggot" Jackets

Excuse my language but that was what some people called them. They had many different descriptions but they went down the same road as Johnny Brubakers.

n51105107608_9058.jpg

Naff jackets and adidas torsions were the rage and if you knew someone from the states who would bring over the REAL baseball jackets, or the 8 ball jacket :D and we all remember the IF jeans from the rave on wickham street :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Was that biker gang 'The Reapers' maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was there a gang called "The Bulls", they went around wearing Chicago Bulls gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Was that biker gang 'The Reapers' maybe.

The reapers became the road tramps

http://www.alliancemcireland.com/roadtramps/intro.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The bloods used to hang around in the wooded/bush area's of Garryowen RFC and that side of Dooradoyle iirc. Scared the shite out of my younger sister when I was about 10

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Followed the above link - Seemingly you don't have to be a moody, disillusioned, angsty, Teenager to be in a Gang :rolleyes:

- Growing old ≠ growing up.....

febuary031.JPG
    Mc Love wrote: »
    The bloods used to hang around in the wooded/bush area's of Garryowen RFC and that side of Dooradoyle iirc. Scared the shite out of my younger sister when I was about 10

:D

Wait - Why did you scare the shíte out of your little Sister when you were 10?

- Just cause there was a gang hanging around by a Rugby club????

• Advertisement

the bulls were from out meelick somewhere i recall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

the bulls were from out meelick somewhere i recall

Really? Dont remember them. All i remember seeing in meelick in the 90s was naff jackets, bullet hole jeams (huuggeely baggy).
    I remember one guy from school had bulls jackets, but he was into basketball!

almost sure...not quite though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Castletroy metallers

rich kids trying to be nackers. If I told you who a few of them were, you'd be VERY surprised, lets just say mammy and daddy wouldn't be happy. They almost gave me a hiding years back , but I got away with it. A few of them are dead now too, shower of w*nkers who got their just deserts in the end.

Bloods in Raheen.

I am from Mungret, and we used play soccer against them. Hard in a group, soft as f**k on their own. A few wannabe scummers in them too. Again, one or two who if you knew the names, you'd be surprised. Amazing what the celtic tiger can do to folk...

The Arabs.

I'm from Mungret and never heard of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Never saw any of them up in Carew Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Soulcrew09

YFlyer wrote: »
    Never saw any of them up in Carew Park.

Never seen or heard of them in Moyross either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

From what I remember the metallers were a gang of about 15-20 predominantly from the Castletroy area. They had a bit of a reputation for being pretty violent and they were also well known around the UL campus for robbing bikes. They used to hang around outside Todds on a Saturday afternoon throwing shapes at anyone who walked past.
    I vaguely remember a big bust up between them and a few boys from the island down in behind spaights on howleys quay ?

The Bloods were notorious for random attacks on people in around the Raheen, Ballinacurra area. I know they eventually quietened down after a few of them got jail time in the early 90's.

was there also a gang that used to hang about the bank of ireland on o connell st called The Rappers ?
    I think they were made up of a few lads + lassies from the southside area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I thought these gangs were made up - must have been real so going by some of the stories on here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

As a teenager I was on my bike visiting a buddy in castletroy
    and had the whole girls trying to call me over to a very suspicious wall
    and when I did not go over had a bunch of the neanderthal's chase me down a hill looking to give me a beating or take my bike.

The ol metalers used to also hide and have one lad thumb for a lift, if a car stopped for one person they would all try and hop into the car.

Also remember getting called into the Principals office in school when I retaliated after someone in one of the gangs tried to take my watch in school, at the time I sharpened my Pencil with a stanley instead of a topper, so he tries to take my watch and I without hesitation took a swipe at him. Remember nothing being said to me as the principal was only looking for evidence of yer man stealing and bullying so they could get rid of him from the school. Dont think I dobbed him in at the time as was more worried about getting punished myself.

~B

• Advertisement

haha bullets...so when others were robbing cars they were robbing bikes...truthfully all I remember of the metalers was they used to muppet bash on weaker muppets than themselves. I'm sure down through their years they targeted the wrong guy.!!

Advertisement