Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bloods, the Castletroy metaler's, and the Arabs from the 1990's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rushian

They jumped my brother one night for no reason (as usual). Broke his jaw.

He managed to get away and back to his friends house.

He's from limerick but was on his way to friends house near UL.

His Friends (there were 8 of them in the house at the time) armed themselves with whatever they could find (hurleys etc) and beat 7 colours of crap out of them. Deservedly so.

Wannabe scumbags is right.

The "Leader" of the Metalers was from a very well-to-do family iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

phill106 wrote: »
    Really? Dont remember them. All i remember seeing in meelick in the 90s was naff jackets, bullet hole jeams (huuggeely baggy).
    I remember one guy from school had bulls jackets, but he was into basketball!

did u go cbs?

"The Bloods"

This was a name given to a bunch of lads from raheen. What started off as a joke stuck basically. I actually have a photo of the "core" members somewhere. A bunch of 14-16 year old kids. Who yes would do damage as a group but like any 14-16 yr old quite as a mouse when alone. Things changed when the older members got past 16 and found new friends.

"The Castletroy Metaler's"

Exactly what is says on the tin.. Lots of youths from there into metal.. I presume thats how they got the name.. Not a bike in UL safe with em in the early 90's.. Couple members passed away tragically. Fairly well to do but sher thats not their fault.

"The Bulls"

This was a group of youths from Kilrush. They would travel up to limerick for scrapes with whatever "gang" was available that saturday..

All that these "gangs" actually did was petty compared to what is happening now.. Thats not to say they didnt commit crimes as they did and im sure had many victims.. but most of the serious stuff would have happened later on when the "gangs" had more or less "disbanded"

Never heard of The Arabs.. Cool name though.. Arabs from Mungret class..:pac::pac:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Never saw any of them up in Carew Park.

I did.

• Advertisement

Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Never seen or heard of them in Moyross either. :)

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

YFlyer wrote: »
    Never saw any of them up in Carew Park.
    Soulcrew09 wrote: »
    Never seen or heard of them in Moyross either. :)

I'd say Mummy gave them 2 crisp 50's every time they left the House - They only ever attacked People when they were on their own and couldn't be harmed themselves.

One of them hit someone in the Face with a plastic bag full of beer bottles some afternoon outside Todds as I heard it told, consequences as you or I might have expected. - Prob. would have gone on holidays to St. Pats except that some Inbred Staff Member from his Secondary School came out and vouched for him; ie. his Family pulled strings to sway the Judge with tales of their legendary wealth and decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

that's it the kilrush bulls...used to hate limerick people...got their dues many a time in kilkee

Raiser wrote: »
    One of them hit someone in the Face with a plastic bag full of beer bottles some afternoon outside Todds as I heard it told,

One of who?

was there also a gang that used to hang about the bank of ireland on o connell st called The Rappers ?
    I think they were made up of a few lads + lassies from the southside area ?

This crowd didnt have a name..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Stab*City wrote: »
    One of who?

Castletroy Metallers.

- You seem knowledgeable Stabs? Have you an insight you're itching to share?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

It all sounds like war of the buttons to me.

Raiser wrote: »
    Castletroy Metallers.

- You seem knowledgeable Stabs? Have you an insight you're itching to share?

Im a 90's almanac me..

It all sounds like war of the buttons to me.

Ya i think there was actually a gang button too.. and if you were caught not wearing it you were shot dead on sight..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

This crowd didnt have a name..

I think they did, I vaguely remember them knocking about there and outside Arthurs Quay park for a while. They had a few battles with the metallers too.

I know the lads you're thinking of, they used to stand on the corner there, but they got moved on and this same gang started hanging around there.
    I'd name a few names only for it wouldn't be right lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I love this thread but I can't say I'd be too familiar with any of the gangs. I do remember back in the late 80s in Shannon there was a couple of gangs from the opposite sides of Shannon (the dividing line is the town centre to the Comp btw) who used to meet up fairly regular to have breakdancing battles in the handball alley of the Comp. These meetings sometimes broke out in fistfights or skinheads might turn up to fight the lot of them. The most I can remember about these guys was my ma always warned to "stay away from those lads!"

It's a pity there aren't any gangs nowadays who aren't all scumbag/chav types. I'd personally love to see a gang of goths or emos kickin' the **** out of a gang of knackers.

I think they did, I vaguely remember them knocking about there and outside Arthurs Quay park for a while. They had a few battles with the metallers too.

I know the lads you're thinking of, they used to stand on the corner there, but they got moved on and this same gang started hanging around there.

No name.

I agree with stab city they didn't have a name...I know most of them by name or to see and I pal around with one of them. Far as I can remember they ruled the town for a long while, after a crowd from thomondgate used to. They were a mix bunch from the Island and weston, and some from the watergate flats.

just chatting to one o the lads here that used to be in it..one of the nice guys, but he tells me they used to muppet bash all the castletroy metallers and take all their money and hash...used to go beat the dirts from caherdavin a few times. When the thomondgate lads ruled the town there was supposed to be a big fight in the people's park but the Thomond lads who were in town never arrived up tp the park to fight them, from then on ruled the town and later a few of the thomond lads started hanging around together, with them. They used to hang around arthurs quay bank of ireland the savoy bowling alley and it was a mix of everyone from balla moyross the island southill and weston careys road and town. There used to be a different crowd every week hanging around joining the core group, or so. Those were the days when it didnt matter what part of town you were from you could all hang around and party together. The rave generation really, Back when the theatre royal and the parkway was going every weekend, and sir henry's in El Corko.

I agree with stab city they didn't have a name...I know most of them by name or to see and I pal around with one of them. Far as I can remember they ruled the town for a long while, after a crowd from thomondgate used to. They were a mix bunch from the Island and weston, and some from the watergate flats.

Ya there was no official name to this group.. may have been refered to as the ravers (hence rappers).

A short history as i remember it:

There used to be a crowd of fellas from moyross/killilee/balla who used to hang around at the blue bars that were on william street right outside what is now the sandwich/coffee shop.

Then there was a group of lads from thomondgate/town who used to hang around the blue bars outside what i think is still the birthday shop.

Then there was the bloods, metalers and there was also a group from up the garryowen/norwood/lynwood side as well but the didnt have a fancy name. And there was a group from caherdavin.

Then ecstasy came along and alot of the members from all the groups and people who had nothing to do with any of the above came together and started hanging round the bank/aurthurs quay/poormans kilkee/town in general.

Then ecstasy went crap. The love buzz died and people just started hanging about in their local in smaller groups.. Couple years went by.. Harder drugs then arrive and we have what we have now..

Thats a very short history of Limerick "Gangs" im sure i left out a few.

• Advertisement

just chatting to one o the lads here that used to be in it..one of the nice guys, but he tells me they used to muppet bash all the castletroy metallers and take all their money and hash...used to go beat the dirts from caherdavin a few times. When the thomondgate lads ruled the town there was supposed to be a big fight in the people's park but the Thomond lads who were in town never arrived up tp the park to fight them, from then on ruled the town and later a few of the thomond lads started hanging around together, with them. They used to hang around arthurs quay bank of ireland the savoy bowling alley and it was a mix of everyone from balla moyross the island southill and weston careys road and town. There used to be a different crowd every week hanging around joining the core group, or so. Those were the days when it didnt matter what part of town you were from you could all hang around and party together. The rave generation really, Back when the theatre royal and the parkway was going every weekend, and sir henry's in El Corko.

ah the memories..

spot on about the yokes going crap all the Love buzz and vicks and stretches were gone...poisoned it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭phill106

did u go cbs?

Nope, endas!

Advertisement