Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Halo Reach Beta Monday 3rd

• 28-04-2010 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

Surprised nobody has posted up about the Halo Reach beta kicking off next Monday. Really looking forward to this one with the new game modes and assassination kills. Plus jetpacks and customised loadouts. Link below and there was a more recent video of gameplay out this week which looked quite good.

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1085085p1.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

great, start the beta at the end of the bloody bank holiday weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Yep and it'll prob be on US time as well, so could be a late one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

JD1763 wrote: »
    Yep and it'll prob be on US time as well, so could be a late one

They're staggering the start time region by region. Mainly so Xbox Live doesn't explode with so many people connecting at once. Don't know if that means we'll get it before or after it starts in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Don't get your hopes up that the Beta will be available in Ireland on the 3rd!

MS have yet to confirm whether the Beta will last two weeks or a month and also hinted that it may have a staggered roll out across the world to avoid XBL crashing due to too many people trying to download a 2gig+ file.

(N/B before anyone pulls me up on it, you'll still need the Halo:ODST disk1 in your drive to access the game but the Beta itself will still be required to be downloaded)

Don't get your hopes up that the Beta will be available in Ireland on the 3rd!

Stop bursting my bubble!!!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Can't wait for this. Gameplay looks really good so far.

Hopefully my Xbox works for it though. Its gotten into a habit of freezing recently :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well that'd be a nice way to come home after my last exam. Wouldn't be the biggest fan of Halo games but I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

NotorietyH wrote: »
    They're staggering the start time region by region. Mainly so Xbox Live doesn't explode with so many people connecting at once. Don't know if that means we'll get it before or after it starts in the US.
    Far as I'm aware, they're opening it at a specific time in each timezone, so like say for example 12pm, they'll open it for one timezone at 12pm, then the next at 12pm, and so one, basically letting a region in every hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

the halo reach beta is only going to run for 17 days

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1086651p1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

mailrewop wrote: »
    the halo reach beta is only going to run for 17 days

http://ie.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1086651p1.html

They said that for halo 3 as well but they extended it by 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

itll run til they have the data they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just in case any one needs a copy of ODST HMV have it new for 23 euro and Zavvi have it as part of their 2 for £25 (not sure what that converts to in euro prob around 32). If you can pick a second game.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is ODST any good?

I liked Halo 1.... I tuned out for 2 halfway through, it got boring. I watched 3 being played through but have only played it multiplayer, which I like.

What exactly is ODST? Is it worth the asking price? Tagging the next games beta onto it seems like a cheap dick-shot to get more sales for a dead horse... no?

DeV.

Its Halo Devore but not as we know it. :)

The gameplay is certainly different to Halo. You're no longer a one man army taking down anything and everything while barely taking a scratch. You can really appreciate how much more vulnerable you are as an ODST. If you can get four friends together for firefight it really makes that game mode, any less and its just not the same.

The attempt to inject more story in the single player kind of works with the audio logs but it ends kind of weakly and it can be frustrating moving around the large city on foot. Theres nothing worse than having to trapse across the whole city from one objective to the next. The map function is imo quite simply crap and poorly designed - it should have shown better directions as its very easy to go the wrong way and end up wandering around trying to find the right path. Scarcity of ammo is also a minor bugbear especially in firefight. I know this was intentional but in firefight i dont think it works at all.

That said, the atmosphere of the night missions is really well done and for what they were trying to achieve it does work.

I enjoyed playing Halo more tbh, but still think ODST is worth picking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Can anyone tell me if buying a second hand copy of ODST will let me play the Beta? Don't want to give MS more money (I bought all the Halo 3 maps and I don't want to pay 30quid for Halo 3.5) for a poxy demo. Do you need a code or just the disc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Just the disc, you access the beta from odst afaik.
    Here is the bungie faq, it says you need the odst campaign disc.
    http://www.bungie.net/projects/reach/article.aspx?ucc=faq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yea just the disk is all you need. There are some codes being given out too but i think the best bet is the disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Sweet, thanks lads. Think I'll pick it up second hand. Xtravision are doing it for 20quid. I'll spend the extra tenner on Fight Night Round 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

even rent it for a night man..prob what ill do..i sold mine ages ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Vargulf

Only 2 days left now. Theres loads of people playing this on justin.tv for anyone who can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Quite excited about this too but haven't been playing Halo online since I discovered how much better (farer) the MW servers were.

I know there's no point but I'll try it at 12:01am tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Anyone remember Z.O.E when it came with a metal gear demo, i wonder how many will get odst used or rent it just for this.

Varik wrote: »
    Anyone remember Z.O.E when it came with a metal gear demo, i wonder how many will get odst used or rent it just for this.

Used?? I only bought this new because of the Beta, I'd have been VERY disappointed otherwise! I'll bet those second hand copies sell out pretty quick though and I wonder will game shops cash in on their 'increased' value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

betas still not up, anyone know what time we're getting it?

Korvanica wrote: »
    betas still not up, anyone know what time we're getting it?

I'll bet it's 12 cos that's the time I've to head off at :(

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Im guessing codes for the betas are going to be very scarce. I want to give it a blast but it doesnt justify buying the ODST and there is no games rental store in the town where im staying :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

After some Googling i'm guessing its gonna be around 6pm... Most sites are saying early evening GMT..

Korvanica wrote: »
    After some Googling i'm guessing its gonna be around 6pm... Most sites are saying early evening GMT..

Yeah, I heard that its goin to be up around 11am PST which is 6pm GMT, just rumours though, I don't think anything has been confirmed

Anyone know exactly how we'll access the Beta? Will there be an 'Update' when you insert the disc then an option to download it?

And which disc is needed is it Disc 1 or 2 I've heard different stories...

• Advertisement

gtg60 wrote: »
    Anyone know exactly how we'll access the Beta? Will there be an 'Update' when you insert the disc then an option to download it?

And which disc is needed is it Disc 1 or 2 I've heard different stories...

Definitely disk 1 (the campaign disk). There will be an option on the main menu to "play the beta" just select that and it will let you download the beta

Advertisement